13 Reasons Why - New Netflix Show

Just wondering if any of you have watched the new netflix show - 13 Reasons Why.

It's a show about a high school student who dies by suicide and before her death she recorded 13 cassette tapes explaining what led to her death. Essentially there's 1 tape per person that played a role.

It's getting some very interesting reviews from experts, parents and teenagers. I work in suicide prevention policy so of course it's been a major buzz around the office this week.

Anyone watched? I binged it last week and have some mixed feelings.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Re: 13 Reasons Why - New Netflix Show

Netflix, in general, has some great shows right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I am only familiar in that my daughter started to watch it since her friends at school did.

From what I know, and my wife has watched some of it, there is at least one explicit sex scene which is inappropriate for a soon to be 13 year old. Beyond that, I read a psychologist who deals with teens and she thought it was terrible in that it glorified suicide and played into the hands of one considering it. It hit all of the wrong buttons in regard to what can make a teen commit suicide, such as post-death sympathy, etc. Her real concern was teens will like the "benefits" of the suicide without fully comprehending the finality of life involved. The trade off is obviously not worth it, but to a teen in the midst of raging hormones and the difficulties of that time of life being overly exaggerated it seems to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I am only familiar in that my daughter started to watch it since her friends at school did.

From what I know, and my wife has watched some of it, there is at least one explicit sex scene which is inappropriate for a soon to be 13 year old. Beyond that, I read a psychologist who deals with teens and she thought it was terrible in that it glorified suicide and played into the hands of one considering it. It hit all of the wrong buttons in regard to what can make a teen commit suicide, such as post-death sympathy, etc. Her real concern was teens will like the "benefits" of the suicide without fully comprehending the finality of life involved. The trade off is obviously not worth it, but to a teen in the midst of raging hormones and the difficulties of that time of life being overly exaggerated it seems to make sense.
    I agree completely.

What it did do, and this will be hidden under what you laid out, is highlight some fundamental problems within high schools. Things such as bullying, cyber-bullying, sexual assault, etc. The show set those aspects up well for a good discussion, but it's been overshadowed by the suicide scenes.

So on one hand I do like what the creator was doing, but on the other hand I think it was very poor execution.

I'm not a parent, but if I was it would create some very good dialogues with my children, if they are the apprioiate age.

Also - 13 is way too oung for that show and that is one of the issues with netflix. It also did come with the proper disclaimers such as providing the American Helpline number or other Crisis lines children can use.

One of my big issues with the show was its use of unsafe language, such as "commit suicide". There has been a movement in the suicidology literature to move away from "commit", which is very common, but has been deemed unsafe. This is a good article for those interested: http://www.speakingofsuicide.com/2013/04/13/language/

I didn't write it so I'm not a proponent, but it has a general sense of what I'm referring to.

I sincerely hope that if anyones child is watching this show there are conversations with the child about the show. I'm not trying to tell you how to parent, I'm just saying it's been referred to by experts as a "triggering" show.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Thanks for the info. My kids expressed interest in watching, cause kids in school said it was 'cool'.
    My initial thought was no, cause, it certainly seems like a bad idea to make something about suicide seem 'cool'.
    But hey, now that I know there is an explicit sex scene, that is gonna make it a lot easier to tell them no.

My daughter (19 year old) watched it in binge style.
    She's obviously a little older so I didn't have a discussion about it with her but might after reading this and what I just saw on the local news here.
    My daughter is real big on suicide awareness and prevention as she had a classmate when she was in school commit suicide and that shook her pretty good. She has a small semi-colon tattoo on her arm for suicide awareness.
    Carroll County apparently sent home or is sending home a letter or something to parents warning them about the show incase they're not aware of its existence and their kids watching it. Apparently the school admin stration has some real concerns about it.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

I'm actually going to be a TedTalk through work on the show and incoprorating some of the stuff I do.

If I have permission I'll post the link for you guys.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

don't watch the iron fist you'll be disappointed.