Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast

Re: How 'bout them O's!

Quote Originally Posted by Section 120 View View Post
    I think we can now put this season to rest. When the predictions came out in March they were picked 4th in the AL East. The knock was NO pitching. The Oriole die-hearts said they had plenty of pitching. You see what happened. Been to a few games and the place is dead and the crowds are way down. See you next year O's.
    You must hang around some pretty uninformed "die-hearts" [sic]. I can't recall anyone thinking the O's had anywhere near the adequate amount of pitching. Bundy looked solid and I think some were high on Gausman taking the next step, but beyond that everyone was a question mark (including Tilly with his injury).

I think the HOPE was that a strong bullpen would be enough to cover for the SPs ineptitude but injuries to Zach and Darren put too much stress and pressure on Brach, Givens, and others and threw our whole dynamic in the toilet.

There have also been quite a few offensive regressions/injuries: Manny, Crush, Hardy, Trumbo (to name a few) that have not balanced out despite the emergence of Mancini and Schoop. Nevertheless, this recent run of O's starters giving up 5-6+ runs nearly every night is a stretch of some of the worst pitching I've seen in my 33 years of watching the O's.

When's training camp start? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 120 View View Post
    I think we can now put this season to rest. When the predictions came out in March they were picked 4th in the AL East. The knock was NO pitching. The Oriole die-hearts said they had plenty of pitching. You see what happened. Been to a few games and the place is dead and the crowds are way down. See you next year O's.
    It's "die hards" not "die hearts", and I don't remember too many of them thinking that the O's had plenty of pitching. Personally I am surprised they kept things interesting as long as they did.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

They looked great, or at least capable, in April. Don't think anyone expected the pstaff to fall this quickly.

Will be interesting to see when they acknowledge the season inevitability and if they shop Manny now to get some pieces, because they cannot afford him and the farm system is not pumping out tons of replacements. They have to pay Schoop soon, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    They looked great, or at least capable, in April. Don't think anyone expected the pstaff to fall this quickly.

Will be interesting to see when they acknowledge the season inevitability and if they shop Manny now to get some pieces, because they cannot afford him and the farm system is not pumping out tons of replacements. They have to pay Schoop soon, too.
    Everbody and his/her uncle said we were a last place finisher in the off/pre-season, and that we had no pitching.

Everybody was right except us homers. As you point out, April gave a false sense of rebuttal. We the homers thought Tillman, Gausman, Bundy & Miley plus [somebody] would be enough. Didn't help that Britton going down put everyone else worth a damn in the bullpen out of order and wondering what his role would be on any night.

At least the corner outfielders rotation has more or less worked out.

I'm with you - Manny is no longer untouchable. His hitting slump will lift [eventually], but maybe he should be traded for a Cy Young caliber starter and another solid #3 or #4 starter, before his free agency. Not real impressed with the "senior" starters we have in the minors. We could try to make Mancini a 3rd baseman [or Davis, who started out there @ Texas, & leave Mancini @1st].

I take 2 tix for a 13 game plan for the O's, which makes even this O's season easier to take mentally & financially than, say, another 4 season tix to an 8-8 Ravens season.

Other than author misstating the fact that they "only" tied the MLB record for 5+ runs per game (they set the AL record, not the ML record), hard to argue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post

Why can't they afford Manny they have the second highest tv contract in baseball don't they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Why can't they afford Manny they have the second highest tv contract in baseball don't they?
    Not. Even. Close.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/estim...-30-mlb-teams/

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlh4.../#23a863f78d9e

https://upperdeckchatter.wordpress.c...vision-rights/

And this doesn't take into account the likely re-ordering o MASN revenues to give a larger share to Washington,

They need to either sign Manny or trade him. He is no good to us over the next year and a half of rebuilding. If he is not part of the long-term future of this club, they need to trade him while he as at maximum value -- i.e. now. Waiting til he's a rental at next year's trade deadline is just stupid.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

How about a 3 game sweep in Boston and back to .500? Beats a stick in the eye

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Only two games out of the 2nd WC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk