Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are We Being To Cute On Defense?

This was talked about on WNST yesterday and it stemmed from a Mike Preston article on our defense running too many "cutesy" formations. Apparently, Preston believes that the many looks we give causes the players to become confused.

My take is that Preston was having a hard time finding something to write about, so he comes up with this. This has never been an issue. Yes, there have been times our secondary seems out of formation, but that is a matter of communication. For example, we were caught with 12 guys on the field, Thursday, but that was due to us not moving fast enough to switch personnel. I think, if anything, the defenders must communicate more effectively with each other.

I have no problems with our formations. It may look like mass confusion to Preston, but the Eagles and Giants had a hard time playing against our "mass confusion." The 10 points the Eagles scored were a gift.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: Are We Being To Cute On Defense?

Wow, Preston is running out of stuff to complain about. That said I do think Rex gambles too much and we get burnt because of it. I like applying pressure but sending all 3 LBs can lead to a big play for the O.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Sending the house is good,if you actually get to the QB before he throws the ball.It is also putting alot of pressure on the Raven DB's.And if that RB gets that ball out of the backfield,as we have already seen,lookout it could go all the way.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Keep in mind too that the front seven has to have some time to get themselves together as a unit too. Once Ngata and Gregg really get going and start making their presense felt, you'll start seeing a little less reliance on bringing the house. The hope is that we can get a good pass rush with just 4 men and keep the huge blitzes handy for 3rd and long situations.

I'm ok at the moment waiting until week 1 or 2 before I start to really get worried about that. I'm more concerned at the moment about our backup corners and who is going to be our other safety.

To a certain extent, yes I think there is too much movement.

I think with the movement offenses will catch on and be able to catch us out of formation taking advantage of mismatches when spotted.

No huddle type offenses could create serious problems for us if were stuck with the wrong personel on the field while trying to be "cute".

Mcnabb seemed to have the ability to do just that.

Nothing wrong with trying to confuse QBs and offenses, but they better be careful as to which QBs and offenses they try it on.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Mcnabb seemed to have the ability to do just that.

Nothing wrong with trying to confuse QBs and offenses, but they better be careful as to which QBs and offenses they try it on.
    Agreed. And McNabb is really a special kind of scrambling QB. I think he's a better backfield scrambler than Michael Vick is. I still remember the play where McNabb scrambled around for like 13-15 seconds, stayed behind the LOS, and launched a bomb downfield to his receiver (I can't remember who it was). That was highly impressive.

It's something that you have to keep in mind when scheming for a QB like that. Thankfully, there aren't that many AFC QB's like him.

It was against the cowboys and it was to Fred-Ex

I like the theory of the multiple formations and frequent blitzes.

However, its got to convert to more sacks and turnovers -- something that we haven't done consistently.

Hopefully both of those numbers will be up this year -- it was a step in the right direction to see those numbers up in the eagles game.
    3 fumbles, 4 sacks , 1 interception (although most in the second half)

:o I agree, we need to get the turnovers. It seems last year and this year in pre-season they miss them by a a finger tip. Its hard to explain.

I think there may well be some truth to it. It appears to me that we are getting more penalties on that side of the ball. I definitely think good quarterbacks will be able to exploit all the jumping around we do to their advantage. However, I must say I'm probably more than a bit prejudiced because I have never liked the Ryans.

I am not ready to make any significant comentary on our D packages. I am still under the impression that Ryan is sort of playing with his new toys and is simply trying to figure out what they can and cannot do. The next few weeks should tell the story, but I don't think we will have any real answer until we play the Bucs.

You have to credit the savvy play of McNabb and the bad calls by the refs for the 10 points. Rolle almost intercepted that pass and call could've gone the other way. He had great position on that pass. 12 men on the field is a preseason snafu that will get sorted out with more playing time for the defense.

McNair managed the first half of that game for 20 minutes and eagles had it 9 minutes and change. That is how you rest a defense and keep them off the field.