Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jonathan Ogden......

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    JO has done nothing - *ever* - in my opinion to deserve the beating he's taking from some on this board. Who knows what he's going through physically that might limit his ability to play out there? He has been a fierce competitor since Day 1, and as far as I'm concerned these accusations that he is mailing it in, or is uninterested, are nothing more than vicious rumors. The fact that Preston apparently made the same observation only makes me more confident that it's wrong.

Plus I am not persuaded that seating a 75%, or 50%, JO, in favor of Terry is what's best for the physical health of whoever is under center or running the ball.

While we are on the subject of fierce competitors, I do not believe anyone on the coaching staff or in the FO wants to win as badly as Billick. While we here in the stands have the luxury of thinking the veterans are past their prime, or the 3d string qb is ready to come in and take some snaps, etc., etc., remember what we see on game day is only a small fraction of what the coaching staff sees all week.

Let's not be too hasty demanding to see on the field what Billick sees in practice every day, because we may get what we're asking for, and we may not like it.
    The only reason I'd like to see them play now is because this season is gone, we can't salvage anything out of it except possibly getting a future starter some game experience and truly evaluating under game conditions just what we have to work with going forward. I'd far prefer that to not knowing anything until next season when it will be to late to do anything about it and have to endure another mess like this year. JMO.

I would play him for the New England and Colt games only because we really need him in there, otherwise Boller will really get killed and then we really have nobody at the QB position. (McNair=0; Smith has no experience).

Actually, I think anyone who's looking at footage of Ogden this year and not at his career overall understands he needs to be BENCHED

He's playing like shit, to be frank.

Billick's loyalty to certain veterans is what really hurts this team.

Ogden should have been put on IR. But instead, we have him out there half assing it half-injured, and getting owned by DE's who are otherwise having mediocre seasons.

Its time to bench him for the good of the team.

I think those of us who see this aren't anti ogden as a person, or even as a ring of honor candidate.

But good franchises know how to cut ties with veterans when they are holding you back. We don't. Look how long it took to sit McNair when its was obvious his body betrayed him and his legacy. We're still starting Flynn and let Rabach go. This team, plainly put, is too loyal to veterans.

It doesn't mean the team doesn't like the player or respect what they have done in the past but athletes are not the best judge of their performance many times. They always think they can play one more year when in reality they can't. It's sad to watch great players overstay their ability.. I have found it painful to watch McNair floundering out there thi year because I remember how good he used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Actually, I think anyone who's looking at footage of Ogden this year and not at his career overall understands he needs to be BENCHED

He's playing like shit, to be frank.

Billick's loyalty to certain veterans is what really hurts this team.

Ogden should have been put on IR. But instead, we have him out there half assing it half-injured, and getting owned by DE's who are otherwise having mediocre seasons.

Its time to bench him for the good of the team.

I think those of us who see this aren't anti ogden as a person, or even as a ring of honor candidate.

But good franchises know how to cut ties with veterans when they are holding you back. We don't. Look how long it took to sit McNair when its was obvious his body betrayed him and his legacy. We're still starting Flynn and let Rabach go. This team, plainly put, is too loyal to veterans.
    yes, yes, yes.

Earl Weaver said once that pinch-hitting for Boog Powell was the toughest thing he ever did as a manager. BB should have benched McNair and should now bench JO. whether injury or attitude, he just isn't doing the job.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

I will tell you this with deadly certainty: Jonathan Ogden IS fed up with the playcalling and IS at the end of his rope with Brian Billick.

I'm not going to say that those exact words came out of his mouth while talking to a friend of his after the game Sunday (UCLA Alumni, I believe), but it wasn't too hard to read between the lines.

He did say, however, that he was gonna continue to give his best for the rest of the season. The look of frustration and aggravation on his face said it all though...

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    I will tell you this with deadly certainty: Jonathan Ogden IS fed up with the playcalling and IS at the end of his rope with Brian Billick.

I'm not going to say that those exact words came out of his mouth while talking to a friend of his after the game Sunday (UCLA Alumni, I believe), but it wasn't too hard to read between the lines.

He did say, however, that he was gonna continue to give his best for the rest of the season. The look of frustration and aggravation on his face said it all though...
    But at the same time he needs to then step his game back up for this final push.

As far as I am concerned, what JO does this year to me does not affect his status as one of the best Ravens players in it's history (next to Ray), a 1st ballot hall of famer, and an instant Ring of Honor inductee.

But that doesn't excuse his level of play on the field. And that is I think the issue we all have. If he's mad at Billick, don't take it out on Boller, McNair, and McGahee by not performing on the line. Right now his play is hurting the team. And it is potentially going to get Boller hurt yet again. And it doesn't help the young guard next to him who is trying to do his job.

If JO can't play at 100%, or can't give that level of performance anymore, then he does need to sit. And if he's so upset with Billick that he's going to retire, then so be it.

That's all I think some of us are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52
    So what? Ogden is a player, Billick is the coach. JO should just shut up.

I don't doubt that JO is fed up with Billick's playcalling, but I'm also certain that Billick is fed up with JO not doing his job. You shoudn't throw temper tantrums on the sideline if you aren't holding up your end of the deal.

8. Re: Jonathan Ogden......

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    So what? Ogden is a player, Billick is the coach. JO should just shut up.

I don't doubt that JO is fed up with Billick's playcalling, but I'm also certain that Billick is fed up with JO not doing his job. You shoudn't throw temper tantrums on the sideline if you aren't holding up your end of the deal.
    J.O. never liked to pass-block and plainly, it is difficult for a big man to pass block...Brian Billicks Offense is ultimately and mainly a pass oriented offense..the West Coast style....He hasn't been able to run his offense because he's had big men blocking for him, that's what he inherited and he's made the best out of it...J.O. and Flynn will be the last of the BIG guys up front and then you will see B.B's real offense come to fruition...He was going to convert to the west coast Offense this past year but was unable to with all the injuries....Love you J.O., but ya got to go

I think it's perfectly normal for offensive linemen to prefer run blocking. Makes sense, when you think about it. Your goal is simple, the play from your perspective is straightforward, and it's mano y mano take your man.

I don't mind *any* player griping away from the media about this or that, they are all human. And I don't doubt for a second he is giving it his all every snap he's out there, because that's what he's always done.

And I will repeat, I will take him at limited capacity over a full strength Adam Terry, because I want Boller and McGahee to remain as injury-free as possible.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Im with festivus 100%

Some of you have determined that he's not giving 100% rather than stating that he's not playing at 100%

The reason the guy doesn't look like he's 100% is precisely that. HE'S NOT 100%.

The stuff being said about him shows a complete lack of respect and the true colors of some "fans".

And you know damn well who Im talkin about.

If the coaches pull Ogden, fine. But THEY are the ones who make the call for him to play.

Stop with this childish bullshit about him not trying hard because he's not happy with the offense/playcalling/coach.

PP

JO is a class act and would never mail it in. The man is trying to the best of his ability to play his position. I agree with PP' statement above...
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

And by the way, I didn't hear a peep about Ogden not trying or not caring when he got worked up in Pittsburgh on MNF.

Seems to me that line of thought only came about when a QB switch was made.

PP