Thread: 08 QB situation

08 QB situation

Ok, so this season is done. I know we have talked about who the Ravens should draft but after reading the article about salary cap issues for the Ravens who do you think will end up starting at QB next year.

If we draft a QB I dont want what happened to Boller to happen to the new guy again. He should be on the bench for at least half a season.

The other issue is that cutting McNair will hurt our cap too. So who is the starter next year?
    Is McNair done...or can he muster up one more season?
    Is Boller the guy....or are his problems just unfixable?
    Can Troy Smith lead this team....or is he just another fifth round nobody?

Re: 08 QB situation

McNair: May not be done. We will know more by the end of the year. Apparently he *was* actually hurt, contrary to everybody's (including my own) suspicions. I believe the cap hit of cutting McNair is $3.x million or so, not astronomical, but I don't remember where that number came from.

Boller: Depending on McNair. I would say this is your likely starter next year.

Smith: By all reports I've heard the team likes him and the progress he's made. But he is raw and they do not want to rush him in, so we won't see him this year barring injury. Next year? Perhaps, if Boller is truly god-awful, as opposed to the mediocre he is right now.

Some new guy: Matt Ryan (ooh was that out loud?) will not get thrown in as a day 1 starter. Zero percent chance.

:2c:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Whoever the quarterback is...if they are running Billicks offense their numbers will be pedestrian at best, I don't care if his name is Brady or Manning.

I agree with festivus that McNair isn't done. I don't see us cutting him either so he very well could be the starter again come next season unless Boller Blows Up over the last couple games.

UNless he cuts his contract more then in half I want no part of him. In reality, Boller, Smith and a rook should be fine anyways. Time to cut ties.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    UNless he cuts his contract more then in half I want no part of him. In reality, Boller, Smith and a rook should be fine anyways. Time to cut ties.
    I agree this is what I would choose, and what's most likely, with what we know now. I think this means another year of likely non-playoff football, but who knows.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I've kind of settled on abotu a .500 season next year, needed for growth...

Well, remember this is Brian Billick. He loves his vets. If McNair tells him he can go, then he'll be the starter next year.

Its either McNair or Boller next year. I'm fine with being wrong, but I still just don't see the Ravens drafting a QB in round 1. And I don't think they cut McNair. I think the only way McNair leaves is by retiring.

There will not be a new QB under center. If we draft a rookie QB in 08, either McNair will have to walk away or someone will have to be released. With Kyle signing a 1 year extension and McNair to costly to cut ties with, we will see those two on the roster as the vets. I do not know the deal with Troy Smith however.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

10. Re: 08 QB situation

It is not going to matter who the ravens start or even if they draft a quarterback, in the brian billick scheme of offense all quarterbacks are doom to failure. Don't get me wrong i would love to see them pick up matt ryan as their first pick if he would be willing to play here. Until the head coach is replaced we are in for some long seasons. I have always supported brian billick but after this season i am done, i will support my team but the hell with billick he can go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenator View Post
    Is McNair done...or can he muster up one more season?
    I doubt it. Billick on his show last night used the word "substantial" when referring to the amount of work required by McNair in the off season.

The exact nature of the work required was left unsaid, but at his age, well, I am not optimistic he will be back.

Cut Boller, he will never amount to more than a backup. Steve #1, Smith #2, get a viable 1st day prospect to compete for the job in the future. No more grooming someone, let these guys earn the job the way guys like Romo and Brady had to.