Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: The Wide Receiver Draft History

My preference is Corey Davis then Mike Williams. If neither is available @ #16, I'd look in another positional direction. Don't want another Perriman (Ross) situation... bc

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He's drafted two guys named Jones in the last five years, neither of which were drafted as LB's. I am assuming you mean Chandler Jones. He was used as DE, with only a sprinkling of LB duties his second year in the league. Collins is a slightly above average LB. Ozzie has had a few slightly above average WR's on his drafting resume.

Hightower represents the lone LB hit of his drafting career. Ozzie had his lone hit at WR with Smith.

Belichick has had the same success with LB's as Ozzie has had with WR's.
    Fair enough retort. I was classing Jones as a linebacker. I also really like Collins as a player. B

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    How many of these guys were known as being tacticians in their craft when coming out?

At least recently, it seems like we always go for the guys that have one trait (e.g., speed) but never the trait of a nuanced route runners.

Our scouts are no doubt going crazy over this cat...

Krishawn Hogan, Marian, 6-3, 222, 9 7/8, 32 1/8

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...gan?id=2558261
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Our scouts are no doubt going crazy over this cat...

Krishawn Hogan, Marian, 6-3, 222, 9 7/8, 32 1/8

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...gan?id=2558261
    Put him next to Streeter on the 6th/7th rd mantle

If someone told you that Cliff Branch could be there at 16 u take him. He's running 4.22 and he's going to get faster. U scared, man get a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    If someone told you that Cliff Branch could be there at 16 u take him. He's running 4.22 and he's going to get faster. U scared, man get a dog!

"The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

That's a long list. But, for a little extra perspective.....

Out of all of them in our 20 year history we've had 5 that were drafted in the top 2 rounds. Patrick Johnson, Travis Taylor, Mark Clayton, Torrey Smith, Breshad Perriman. That's only 2 in the past 10 years.

Torrey was solid, Perriman still has a chance to be good, Clayton was OK if underwhelming, and Taylor was a miss but could've been better with a different QB and a system designed around passing the ball downfield instead of ground and pound with Jamal. Patrick Johnson was just not good.

I would like to see how that compares to the rest of the league. I bet we're near the bottom since we normally use FA/trades to acquire our WR talent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    That's a long list. But, for a little extra perspective.....

Out of all of them in our 20 year history we've had 5 that were drafted in the top 2 rounds. Patrick Johnson, Travis Taylor, Mark Clayton, Torrey Smith, Breshad Perriman. That's only 2 in the past 10 years.

Torrey was solid, Perriman still has a chance to be good, Clayton was OK if underwhelming, and Taylor was a miss but could've been better with a different QB and a system designed around passing the ball downfield instead of ground and pound with Jamal. Patrick Johnson was just not good.

I would like to see how that compares to the rest of the league. I bet we're near the bottom since we normally use FA/trades to acquire our WR talent.
    Good point.

I do always like to point to point out the amazing game Travis Taylor had against Jacksonville at home in 2000. That was such a pivotal game leading to the Super Bowl. They had never beaten Jacksonville and Quadry Ismail went out injured that game leaving Travis to be the main guy. He came through with 4 catches, 80 yards and 2 TDs. But after that he basically disappeared putting up very mediocre numbers. But he never had a good QB throwing to him either.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    My preference is Corey Davis then Mike Williams. If neither is available @ #16, I'd look in another positional direction. Don't want another Perriman (Ross) situation... bc
    I like Williams then Davis at 16

I watched some film on Ross and he actually looked like a very good route runner , wasn't all just a go route , so I may also consider him at 16 depending on who else is available

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    I like Williams then Davis at 16

I watched some film on Ross and he actually looked like a very good route runner , wasn't all just a go route , so I may also consider him at 16 depending on who else is available
    Ross is more than just a go route. There's some short area quickness and lateral agility to go along with that speed. Not Dante Hall level, but better than you would expect for a vertical threat. His issue is injuries.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore