Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Wide Receiver Draft History

Thanks to Shas' draft thread I was quickly reminded of the Ravens draft history in regards to wide receivers. By my calculation, out of 24 total picks Ozzie is batting .083 in picking receivers that were serious threats (Torrey Smith and Jermaine Lewis). After removing those two, Ozzie is batting .090 in picking receivers that were good and deserving of their draft positions (Patrick Johnson and Brandon Stokely). Mark Clayton was good, but he was not a serious threat and certainly not a round 1 pick. Jury still out of Perriman. Campanaro is good for a 7th rounder, but his counterpart on my Madden Game can't even stay healthy.

(EDIT - Consensus is Patrick Johnson was a bust. Ozzie's .090 is really .045 in drafting receivers that were good and deserving of their draft position. That's 1 out of 22 not including Torrey and Jermaine.)

Here they are:

James Roe
    Jermaine Lewis
    Patrick Johnson
    Brandon Stokley
    Travis Taylor
    Ron Johnson
    Javin Hunter
    Devard Darling
    Clarence Moore
    Derek Abney
    Mark Clayton
    Demetrius Williams
    Yamon Figurs
    Marcus Smith
    Justin Harper
    David Reed
    Torrey Smith
    Tandon Doss
    Tommy Streeter
    Aaron Mellette
    Michael Campanaro
    Breshad Perriman
    Darren Waller
    Chris Moore
    Last edited by ERey; 03-23-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Re: The Wide Receiver Draft History

Add Corey Davis to that list and he'll turn this franchise's fortune around.
    I'm going to will this into existence.
    My mind is a powerful thing.
    Along with the MMJ I medicate with. Lol.
    I, Ghost, the Conductor to the Corey Davis to Baltimore hype train. JUMP ABOARD!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Add Corey Davis to that list and he'll turn this franchise's fortune around.
    I'm going to will this into existence.
    My mind is a powerful thing.
    Along with the MMJ I medicate with. Lol.
    If they draft Corey Davis and he helps them win a Super Bowl the above list will get a serous upgrade!

4. Re: The Wide Receiver Draft History

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Thanks to Shas' draft thread I was quickly reminded of the Ravens draft history in regards to wide receivers. By my calculation, out of 24 total picks Ozzie is batting .083 in picking receivers that were serious threats (Torrey Smith and Jermaine Lewis). After removing those two, Ozzie is batting .090 in picking receivers that were good and deserving of their draft positions (Patrick Johnson and Brandon Stokely). Mark Clayton was good, but he was not a serious threat and certainly not a round 1 pick. Jury still out of Perriman. Campanaro is good for a 7th rounder, but his counterpart on my Madden Game can't even stay healthy.

Here they are:

James Roe
    Jermaine Lewis
    Patrick Johnson
    Brandon Stokley
    Travis Taylor
    Ron Johnson
    Javin Hunter
    Devard Darling
    Clarence Moore
    Derek Abney
    Mark Clayton
    Demetrius Williams
    Yamon Figurs
    Marcus Smith
    Justin Harper
    David Reed
    Torrey Smith
    Tandon Doss
    Tommy Streeter
    Aaron Mellette
    Michael Campanaro
    Breshad Perriman
    Darren Waller
    Chris Moore
    In the spirit of full transparency, I'd like to say, for the record, I was really excited by:

Devard Darling
    Demetrius Williams
    Tandon Doss

For anyone old enough to appreciate the movie Slapshot, I'll add this to convey how I feel:

Denis Lemieux: You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free.

Blog Entries

And dogshit smells bad... in other news...

Blog Entries

How many of these guys were known as being tacticians in their craft when coming out?

At least recently, it seems like we always go for the guys that have one trait (e.g., speed) but never the trait of a nuanced route runners.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    How many of these guys were known as being tacticians in their craft when coming out?

At least recently, it seems like we always go for the guys that have one trait (e.g., speed) but never the trait of a nuanced route runners.
    Good observation IMO.
    I see a few instances of pushing the height threshold too.

From Mark Clayton on, the only tactician we've drafted is Campanaro and there is no second place really.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

Which is why I don't want John Ross. I'm on the Corey Davis hype train.

Blog Entries

Patrick 'hands of stone' Johnson was never worth his draft position. He was terrible. Balls would just bounce off of hm. I don't think he made a meaningful catch in his career.

Blog Entries

I had high hopes for Clarence Moore, of course I was young and dumb at the time and infatuated with big receivers. It's too bad he didn't have any balls, because I seem to recall that was the only thing missing from him being a decent player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Which is why I don't want John Ross. I'm on the Corey Davis hype train.
    Which is why they'll take Ross.over Davis in a month.

If you have height or speed they'll take a chance.

If you are actually a true WR that can catch and run routes...Good luck getting drafted by the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post

Here they are:

James Roe
    Jermaine Lewis
    Patrick Johnson
    Brandon Stokley
    Travis Taylor
    Ron Johnson
    Javin Hunter
    Devard Darling
    Clarence Moore
    Derek Abney
    Mark Clayton
    Demetrius Williams
    Yamon Figurs
    Marcus Smith
    Justin Harper
    David Reed
    Torrey Smith
    Tandon Doss
    Tommy Streeter
    Aaron Mellette
    Michael Campanaro
    Breshad Perriman
    Darren Waller
    Chris Moore
    I believe Torrey smith is the ONLY DRAFTED Ravens WR to ever hit 1000 yards...

let that sink in