Blog Entries

Should the Draft/Selective Service Go Away?

There has been a lot of chatter this year about equality and one thing that comes up is how males have to register for selective service when they turn 18 and females do not.

I can recall that I was unable to qualify for federal grants and student loans unless I registered with selective service.

So, in that regard, and I think most would agree - if some have to do it, everyone should have to do it.

However, should selective service and the draft even be a thing anymore? Should Congress finally put it to rest and vote it out altogether?
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 01-27-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Senate passes vote requiring women to register for selective service

Didn't they already vote on this last year?

Blog Entries

They did. I fell victim to a friend posting this on FB today and I didn't look at the date of the report. :grbac:

Blog Entries

But, maybe I'll change the title around to open up for some convo around the idea of selective service?

Re: Should the Draft/Selective Service Go Away?

Maybe we make it through a year or two of Trump before eliminating the ability to quickly increase the size of the army

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Maybe we make it through a year or two of Trump before eliminating the ability to quickly increase the size of the army

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Lol, fair enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I don't think it should fully go away. You never know or can predict the perfect storm of tyranny that may come about.

I like a way for the country to have a mechanism in place if there's ever a staggering emergency and we need troops at a moments notice.

Now of course, it's easy for me since I am about to be 44 in a few days. Even if there was a draft, my old ass wouldn't get called. But my kids might be called upon one day. I hope to God that day never comes but part of my raising them will be to fend for themselves, be weapons familiar, know some basic self defense, etc.

The Selective Service Act, and compulsory registration of all males attaining the age of 18, should never be rescinded. It should never be activated unless a dire emergency of direct threat to the United States exists that cannot be handled by the existing military, and only after a volunteer push occurs. It's no different than the 2nd Amendment - it's "just in case" our situation gets so bad, we have no other options.

Once everyone who volunteers to fight has volunteered, and their numbers begin to dwindle, then, and ONLY then, should a draft occur. The existing rules for the draft (start at 19, work up to 25, then back to 18) are ok, but need a minor tweak to accommodate todays climate.

Women ought to be required to register for the draft. If the argument previously was that women were not permitted to serve in combat roles was the only reason not to require their registration (equal protection under the law, but since women weren't permitted in combat, drafting them does no good, so why bother), since they now can serve in combat roles, they should be required to register. The new draft order would be as follows:

Men from 18-25 register. 20 year olds are drafted first, then 21, on through 25, then back to 19 and 18.
    Run the draft for men again, until such time as we are just shy of a critical reduction in the potential gene pool.
    Run the draft for women, following the same age pattern. Only do this once. If we get this far with a draft, assume that the US borders have been breached, and that every person with a privately owned firearm is getting conscripted on the fly. If you don't own one, find one, and return fire.

I really enjoy the contradiction of women protesting for equal rights still when im pretty sure this is the only act that discriminates towards a specific gender.