Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: NFL Owners Approve International Games

Selfish? Well, if it seems that I'm not all broken up about how someone 5000+ miles away can't see an NFL game in person, you're right. Especially when it takes a home game away from me. And frankly, the NFL is doing pretty well already, it does nothing for me to market it to the world audience. This is about money, nothing else.

If you are that anxious to see a game, do what the UK folks did, get on a plane and expeirence a Ravens game in the way it was meant to be enjoyed - in Baltimore.
    If does nothing for YOU, YOU don't care, YOU don't want a home game taken from YOU...didn't they teach you to share in kindergarten? ):

I'm just glad about this decision. Fortunately for ME and for the thousands of fans abroad, you guys aren't commissioners (:

Oh, and if it was a choice, believe me, I'd be flying to Baltimore non-stop

"As to the complaints about the PSLs: it is true that PSL owners will be denied one of 128 home games every 16 years, and there's no way that the NFL teams are going to provide a 1/128th refund. On the other hand, suppose NFL revenues increase by 10-20% for world-wide broadcasting rights? Everything else being equal, ticket price increases could be mitigated."

Come on Mista T, they're not going to mitigate ticket prices, they'll figure out a way to charge us the same amount that year we miss a game. They're not going to give revenue back because they are nice guys or care about the fans, they don't. They only care how deep they can line their own pockets. They think of ways to suck even more of your money out of your wallet.

My season ticket price has increased from $35 per ticket in 96 to $50 per ticket today, an increase of over 43% in 11 years.

I am selfish, I am a BALTIMORE RAVEN fan & I expect my team to play all regular season games in Baltimore. Does anyone know what the Ravens lease says? I am sure a lot of these teams leases state they have to play all regular season games at the specific stadium that was built for them by the taxpayers.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

My season ticket price has increased from $35 per ticket in 96 to $50 per ticket today, an increase of over 43% in 11 years.
    What was your home worth then and what is it worth now? How much has gas gone up?

On that lease thing, you might have something there. Especially where PSLs are involved.

4. Re: NFL Owners Approve International Games

A few Comments:

British food....why did all my meals come with peas, and whats up with your bacon over there??? looks like ham....haha

NFL playing a game over seas---why not continue with the preseason games overseas???? the fans of the world get to see the game live, still can experiece nfl live action, the fans wont miss missing a home preseason game?? its not like the NFL can feasibly bring in a few teams from around the world to join the nfl.

Losing one home game---means alot when there is only 8 of them...its not like baseball where you get 81 and missing one wouldnt matter.

I do like the idea of seeing the ravens in wembley.....but rio or mexico city? no thanks...
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan1996 View Post
    A few Comments:

British food....why did all my meals come with peas, and whats up with your bacon over there??? looks like ham....haha

NFL playing a game over seas---why not continue with the preseason games overseas???? the fans of the world get to see the game live, still can experiece nfl live action, the fans wont miss missing a home preseason game?? its not like the NFL can feasibly bring in a few teams from around the world to join the nfl.

Losing one home game---means alot when there is only 8 of them...its not like baseball where you get 81 and missing one wouldnt matter.

I do like the idea of seeing the ravens in wembley.....but rio or mexico city? no thanks...
    I'd expect that an eastern seaboard team like the Ravens etc. would get their home games shipped to London (*prays/barracks the NFL offices in London if not) or Germany depending on which yearly rotation the Ravens lose their home game on, rather than Canada or Mexico. Also my understanding is that the four countries in the dual rotations are Mexico/Canada and England/Germany, I haven't read anything anywhere that any other countries will be included in the rotation, this makes sense to me as they've been doing a lot of research into suitable stadia and have found only two suitable in England and not too many in Germany either, not sure they'd risk it by going to other countries like France or Italy where the majority of the attendance would be made up by Brits and Germans travelling in for the game.

P.S. With regards the bacon, I'll take my British bacon, the only stuff I had in Baltimore this September was horrendously salty for my taste

Wink Re: NFL Owners Approve International Games

T, why is it a good idea and an excellent scheduling plan? Aside from the fact that you might now have a reason to schedule trips to Munich and London, and that the league might take in some extra revenue, how does all that benefit the average fan? I agree that a road trip to Europe would be cool, but the average fan is not going to fly overseas for that game.
    It's an excellent scheduling plan because each NFL team has to give up only one out of 128 home games every 16 years, gets a bye the week afterwards, etc.

It's a good idea because it spreads NFL football around the globe, and may bring in sufficient additional TV revenue that the escalation of NFL stadium ticket prices may be retarded.

As to the average fan: let's define the average fan. Exclude the couch potatoes, because they are not impacted by all this, i.e. a TV game = a TV game, regardless of locale. I see the "average fan" as one who is paying about $75 per seat, takes his wife and two kids to the game to total $300, pays $35 to park, spends about $50 on concessions. This guy can afford a trip to London or Munich, with Fall air fares in the range of $300-$400to Mexico and certainly Canada are cheaper yet. Also remember he's not spending near $400 for the game that was moved overseas.

Ravens fans travel well. I would not be surprised to see 3,000 to 5,000 making the trip to a good destination.

I've been looking for an excuse to go back to Britain or Germany for many years now. Fall is the best time to travel there. I would be psyched to see the Ravens chosen to play next year.

btw: if you think English food is bland, have you ever had a meal in Scotland or Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    btw: if you think English food is bland, have you ever had a meal in Scotland or Ireland?
    You call haggis bland?

Also, who goes to Ireland to eat?

Hey Greg, I know the value of my home has increased since the Ravens have moved here & we are ripped off on gas prices, my point is I invested in this team in 96 to see them here. I don't like this idea & never will. They can move all my pre season home games, just don't mess with my real football.

I think since the games will be moved, & they will, & we can't do anything about it, the tickets should be sold to us as part of our season ticket package. It's then up to us to - A) Travel to the game site & use them or B)Sell them to the highest bidder & make some money. We're stuck with it people so let's make the best of it. Look, if they're going to move us, I vote for Toronto, becasue most of us could get there, it's only about an 8 or 9 hour drive, just like going to Cleveland.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

I think since the games will be moved, & they will, & we can't do anything about it, the tickets should be sold to us as part of our season ticket package. It's then up to us to - A) Travel to the game site & use them or B)Sell them to the highest bidder & make some money.
    Jeff: I don't see the above scenario at all. The Ravens would face fan lawsuits if they tried to force us to buy tickets to a game across the Atlantic. Some may even try it anyway, e.g. a breach of the PSL agreement. Most likely scenario on tickets would be similar to Super Bowl tickets: there would be a limited number available to the season-ticket holding fans of both teams, with a priorty order of Suite holders, club seat holders, general admission, and then open to the public (brokers will try to scoff them up) if any are left over.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    You call haggis bland?

Also, who goes to Ireland to eat?
    haggis isn't a food, it's a toxic substance disguised as food....if you can throw it, you shouldn't eat......

Having lived in England and Germany, I can attest that there are more NFL fans that you would think and they do understand the game fairly well...the best move the NFL made was selling game rights to European Broadcasters and building the fan base while creating another revenue stream...despite the time difference, the numbers watching the NFL in Europe is growing. Granted, the NFL will never challenge soccer as the world's #1 sport, but there is nothing wrong with aiming to be #2....globalization is the way of the future...

I have no problem with giving up one home game every 16 years as long as I get the ticket so I can decide whether I want to go or not...depending on the location, that kind of road trip is worth every penny....There are any number of stadiums in Europe that are the equal of M&T Bank Stadium...

11. Re: NFL Owners Approve International Games

Hey I was looking for info about Navy v Notre Dame tomorrow and found this out......

Anyone want to plan a Navy away trip to Dublin, Ireland??

The legendary Navy - Notre Dame football series got a 10-year extension this week and - as part of the new deal - the teams agreed to face off in Dublin, Ireland in 2012. Navy & Notre Dame last played in Dublin in 1996, a game the Irish won 54-27.

The 2012 Dublin game will be a "home" game for Navy. All home games for Notre Dame will be played in South Bend, while sites for the Navy home games have yet to be confirmed.
    and how is that a home game for navy??????? the fighting irish in ireland??
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

I had heard about that a while ago and will definately be attending that one, know a couple of ND fans in the UK who I'll probably be going with.

It's gonna be held at Croke Park which seats 80,000 so whilst it's not a home game per se, if Navy gets all the gate receipts from it then it'll be a good money spinner for them.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Hey I was looking for info about Navy v Notre Dame tomorrow and found this out......

Anyone want to plan a Navy away trip to Dublin, Ireland??
    Nice find,that will worth a trip across.

As to NFL games abroad.I agree with all you guys,what right do the owners have to take a home game away from you all.After all the PSL money you have pumped in.Was there even a fan vote to get some feedback how you all feel.No way.

I'd prefer to be in M&T and savor that atmosphere.Than sitting in wembley with 40,000 people of the 90,000[I'll believe it when I see it] people who don't know what the frig is going on.

I have been embarrassed at being in Wembley with dwindling numbers watching American Bowls,and the London Monarchs of the World League of American Football.If we can get 90,000
    fans in the new wembley screaming their heads off.Then I may change my mind.I will be there watching whoever is playing.

But I say once again the greedy owners are screwing Joe the fan as usual.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

I have what I think are two very workable solutions.

1. (the lesser) Play ALL exhibition games out-of-country. No regular season games overseas. Season holders get a reduction, and the NFL splits the profits between the home locastion and the NFL teams.

2. (the better one) As was discussed on PFT, make the season 17 games. (maybe drop one pre-season game?) Each team then gets 8 home games, 8 away games, and one game in an 'exotic' location. That way fans of each team also get to attend one game overseas each year - if they so choose.

The latter should work ok, at least until the NFL expands and sets up an overseas division, which is inevitable in the future.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Horrid idea.

It's not only losing the home revenue, but taking away a homegame from a season-ticket holder. Blasphemy.