Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NFL Owners Approve International Games

NFL Owners Approve International Games
    By BRETT MARTEL, AP Sports Writer
    1 hour ago

NEW ORLEANS - Two NFL regular-season games will be played each year outside the United States in Mexico, Canada and Europe, starting in 2007.

The plan, first announced last month, was approved Tuesday at the recommendation of new commissioner Roger Goodell.

No specific sites were given for the games. But when the proposal originally was disclosed, the league suggested that Britain and Germany likely would host the European games.

The plan would be set up so that teams would rotate over a 16-year period, with each team playing outside the country twice over that span, once as a visitor, the other as a home team. That means a team would lose one home team during that span.

Losing the home-game revenue was the main objection raised by some teams.

"We're going to get compensated," said Pat Bowlen, owner of the Denver Broncos. "Obviously the league's going to work out the economics and if we lose a home game, we'll get compensated.

"We're comfortable with it. Obviously we'd like to play in Mexico or Canada and not have to travel to Europe and that's probably the way it would be set up because of our location. But as far as the league's concerned, I think it's a great idea."

In 2005, the NFL staged its first regular-season game outside the United States when the Arizona Cardinals hosted the San Francisco 49ers in Mexico City. A crowd of 103,467 flocked to Azteca Stadium, the largest crowd for a regular-season game in NFL history.

The league also has played numerous exhibition games overseas for the past two decades. The New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks will play a preseason game next August in Beijing.

"This step comes in response to the tremendous and growing interest in the NFL around the world. The owners believe that hosting regular-season games outside the United States on a regular basis is in the best interests of the league and will help to increase the fan base, build awareness of the NFL and grow the sport worldwide," Goodell said.

Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International, said last month the league believes fans in a number of countries are now ready for the real thing. NFL games regularly have been televised live in Mexico and Canada and more recently in Europe, notably Britain.

"The preseason games and American Bowl games have worked well to introduce fans to the game," Waller said. "Once fans have gotten to know it and understand it, they are very aware that the regular season, playoffs and Super Bowl are the real thing."
    I BLEED RAVEN PURPLE!!!

Re: NFL Owners Approve International Games

I guess Japan didnt make the cut. I would LOVE to travel to europe for a Ravens game though, particulary England.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Great,

Hopefully there is a Ravens game on by the time I go on my OE.

If they take away one of our Home Games then I want the Pre-Season games for free. Don't make me have to pay for two meaningless games to then lose one of our eight Home Games on top of that.

Horrible, horrible, horrible idea.

Great, take away a homegame from the people of BALTIMORE and give it to Germany or Britain where most don't give a shit about NFL football or the Baltimore Ravens (I know we have a large UK Ravens contingent on these boards, just speaking on a large scale). More proof the league is only interested in money.

Rack Iosac.

This is a kick in the groin to the home fans who only get to see maybe 8 meaningful games per year as it is.

How many fans are really going to travel to Hamburg or London to see a game? Vancouver maybe...Mexico City, no way.

And how they compensate the fan who loses a game will be interesting.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I don't like it, even if it is only 1 home game every 16 years. I agree, we already get soaked for 2 meaningless pre season games, now we have to give up 1 of the real games so the owners can make more money. This is proof again that the league, owners, & players could care less about Joe Fan.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

I think this attitude is a little selfish. A sacrifice of a home game in 16 years (sixteen!) is nothing compared to what it will bring for the fans around the world, who have never gotten the opportunity to go see a game of a sport they like (or even love, as is my case), or especially of their team. This will bring an increase of interest in the sport worldwide, which is great

If a Ravens game were, hypothetically, to be held in São Paulo or Rio, I would haul my ass over there no matter the cost, as I'm sure would a number of fans from all over the country. Perhaps it would be nice of you to think of the Raven, or just generally the football fans which do NOT reside in Baltimore. The interest in football outside the US is bigger than you think, and it's growing very very fast

The new Wembley (where some of these games will be held) will seat 90,000 people I'd guarantee that'll be sold out and I'll be trying to get at least 20 or so tickets to take people along that I know. Yes it loses the homefield advantage for one game every 16 years for every club, but the game is spreading like wildfire across Europe at the mo with more people getting into it all the time and the NFL actually actively marketing it this time, not setting it as a niche sport and not bothering with anymore. This time they're actually investing in it properly and actively marketing the game fully, I can understand fans in the US who hold season tickets and PSL's being dissapointed on their personal level, but I hope that in the same way they understand that I and every other massive NFL fan in the UK absolutely cannot wait for these games to get here, I've experienced the Baltimore gameday experience and I'll be back, but going to the game with people that I've watched with for years now is something we're all very excited about.

Plus if the Ravens come over it gives the UKRavens the opportunity to reciprocate the welcome you gave us this September. :)
    Last edited by UKRavenStockers; 10-25-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Totally against the idea. Agree with what Alex said about having to pay for meaningless preseason games.

I'm for the idea, provided they can compensate the PSL holder appropriately. Some might hate me for saying this, but after having season tickets for several years, I started to lose my appreciation for each individual game. A game against the Buffalo Bills, for example, is pretty much nothing to me anymore, but it might mean something to someone overseas.