Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

I think that maybe, just maybe we might have some sort of idea of how they may perform next year, if we actually let them line up where we have them planned to, and they actually play a couple of games like that. It was nice to see Yanda back in at RT. JO was easily the weakest link on the line yesterday, and Flynn was close behind. Brown and Grubbs looked good. IT's BEYOND time to see the line they hope to trot out week 1 in '08.
    I understand Chester hasn't looked great yet, but maybe 5 games in a row, sandwhiched between Browna dn Grubbs couldn't do anything but improve his play. If he doesn't improve, a good vet could be brought in for the position in '08.

I still don't understand the reasoning of letting Pashos, Mule, and Vincent walk and bringing in a bunch of scrub rookies as starters. If the Ravens needed cap space they should have cut some dead weight, but you don't let more than half of your starting O-Line walk in free agency and expect a bunch of rookies to carry the load. Whoever came up with that idea should be given a one way ticket out of town. Ozzie, Billick, Forrester, whoever said "hey I think we should ditch these guys that took us to 13-3 and get a bunch of green rookies", well that guy needs to be sent packing asap.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I still don't understand the reasoning of letting Pashos, Mule, and Vincent walk and bringing in a bunch of scrub rookies as starters.
    I love Mulitalo but he is a mauler with little finesse and that means you can't screen and pull him. Vincent was a stiff. Pashos was overrated. Yanda may be as good already.

And these aren't rookie scrubs. These are high draft picks for the most part and they played well when together at the end of last year. They need to play and get seasoned. They also may need a new OL coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar
    I still don't understand the reasoning of letting Pashos, Mule, and Vincent walk and bringing in a bunch of scrub rookies as starters.
    Are any of the guys you just mentioned playing anywhere in the league?

I think Mule is retired, and it's possible that Pashos and Vincent are backups some place, but these are not starters. And the guys that have taken their place are not "scrub rookies." Not yet, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post

I think Mule is retired, and it's possible that Pashos and Vincent are backups some place, but these are not starters. And the guys that have taken their place are not "scrub rookies." Not yet, anyway.
    Mule is starting for the playoff bound Detroit Lions, and Pashos is starting for the powerhouse down in Jax.

Vincent is in Zona but I am not sure if he has a starting job there.

Pashos is a starter for Jacksonville. Regardless these kids are not "scrub rookies". They are green, draft picks with good potential. Give them time to gel and have a good coach.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post

You might wanna check that HW.

Pashos signed a huge deal is the starting RT for the Jags.

Mulitalo is starting at guard for the Lions.

Im not sure about Vincent's whereabouts.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar
    Mule is starting for the playoff bound Detroit Lions, and Pashos is starting for the powerhouse down in Jax.

Vincent is in Zona but I am not sure if he has a starting job there.
    My bad -- I knew that Mule had signed with Detroit but I thought they had cut him. And of course Pashos had signed a big deal with Jax, I don't know how I forgot about that.

I confess I don't know what happened to Vincent, but I don't really care, because he's not any better than the rookies we have on the OL now.

IMO Pashos was the only one of those 3 worth resigning. But I don't think I would have matched that huge contract if I was GM either.

I think the biggest problem with developing the line this year has been a lack of continuity. I don't question JO's heart or interest in playing but I think the line would have been better by now if was IR'ed early in the season. Then you could have Terry, Brown, Flynn/Chester, Grubbs and Yanda playing as group for a while now.

Of course, each of those guys missed games along the way so it's a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Letting Mule walk and starting Jason Brown was smart, Brown is a very good guard and much better all round than Mulitalo is right now.

Pashos, well that's one I wouldn't have let walk, he came round big time last year and was one of the very best RTs in the league last year. However you can't keep everyone and clearly the FO feel that Yanda or Gaither can replace him amply over the course of their contract, though it is tough to endure that step down this year.

As for Vincent, Vincent was terrible. I analyse games for a friend's website but he doesn't let me do Ravens games (understandably, would affect the credibility/impartiality of the analysis) but from what he's seen he tells me Grubbs has been poor (analysed a couple of his early season starts), again it's a tough initial step down to take but he should be a big upgrade on Vincent in fairly short order.

With these kids on the line it's a step you have to take sooner or later, I don't question any of the moves in isolation, Mulitalo we had to move on soon and his injury aided the switch to Brown, and it's one that I think will work well for us. Vincent is one that will work out in short order if it hasn't already been on a par already. Pashos is the one you can question as you can't be too careful with protecting your QB against the best athletes off the edge.

The thing you can question is the misfortune/bad management (which it could be construed as) in these changes happening at once. Ideally you'd blood them individually so that the kids got experience settling in next to veterans helping them out in real situations rather than having a collection of three, four (sometimes five) kids on the line all having to learn on the job with a second year starter (Brown, only just about at 16 starts now I think) as the most veteran presence to look to on the offensive line. It's clearly hurting us in the short term, but hopefully we'll start to see some chemistry starting to form and them working out playing as a unit. I just wish we had a better offensive line coach (still not at all sold on Foerster or Forrester, whatever his name is) to aid this process.