Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: What are your doubts about religion/Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    So you won't watch it to here the evidence they site, but dismiss it without watching. Got it.
    Yes. Most definitely, yes. And for the reasons I've expressed and that you've apparently glossed over.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's a talk given by a Christian group. They say as much in the first minute of the video. I don't need to watch it to know the outcome, no matter the evidence they provide.

They're biased in their beliefs but trying to spin the "evidence" as sort sort of critical thinking exercise or unbiased research.

It would be like Jews getting together to show Jesus wasn't the son of God or Muslims gathering to show once and for all that Muhammad was the prophet of God. One of central tenants of Christianity is the resurrection. I'm supposed to be swayed that a bunch of Christians showed evidence that the it took place?

They have a phrase for this phenomenon: Confirmation Bias.
    You can't just not watch it and say they're wrong. That's a really crappy basis for a debate or a discussion.

You could be missing out on evidence that you don't know about. You can chose not to believe in it, but not watching it at all and saying they're wrong because they're bias isn't a very good approach.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    You can't just not watch it and say they're wrong. That's a really crappy basis for a debate or a discussion.

You could be missing out on evidence that you don't know about. You can chose not to believe in it, but not watching it at all and saying they're wrong because they're bias isn't a very good approach.
    Well, I did watch about 20 minutes of it. Dismissing it based on obvious conformation bias is exactly the kind of source evaluation that's much needed in today's society.

But I will watch it in full for the sake of argument.

Well, I did watch about 20 minutes of it. Dismissing it based on obvious conformation bias is exactly the kind of source evaluation that's much needed in today's society.

But I will watch it in full for the sake of argument.
    Misunderstood "They say as much in the first minute of the video. I don't need to watch it to know the outcome, no matter the evidence they provide."

Made it sound like you watched a minute of it and said fuck it.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Misunderstood "They say as much in the first minute of the video. I don't need to watch it to know the outcome, no matter the evidence they provide."

Made it sound like you watched a minute of it and said fuck it.
    I made that statement to show that from the jump, the viewer knows their bias and they admit as much.

The group that put on this presentation is from the Durham Inter-Collegiate Christian Union. The very first phrase you see on their web site is "Making Jesus Known Since 1931". Their groups description reads "We are the Durham Inter-Collegiate Christian Union (DICCU), a student-led community who want to share the phenomenal news of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection with every student in our university"

From a source evaluation standpoint, I'd say their bias is pretty clear. But like I said, I will watch it in full.

Blog Entries

For me - the story doesn't make sense. The premise is that Mary gave birth to Jesus without there being a father. So the Holy Spirit got Mary pregnant, out comes the baby - boom Jesus.

I guess I Don't know how i can believe that.

NOW I believe in god in the sense that there's a higher power that essentially puts out a form of a code to which I should hold myself and my values accountable for. It's not the ten commandments or anything, but I do believe that I need to conduct myself accordingly becuase there is some form of higher power standing over me and holding me accountable.

I guess I just don't buy the whole story. How did Mary get pregnant? magic?
    The idea of an immaculate conception based on supernatural circumstances has been around for eons. Christianity took that from paganism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

It impacts your conscious. When you do something wrong, why do we have a guilty conscious? I believe it's because I didn't live up to that standard set on me by god. That is a mental thing. Obviously i don't think if I don't live up to that standard something is physically going to happen to me.

Impregnating someone is not a mental thing. It is a physical thing.

Is it that hard to see the difference?
    Your saying this god has this type of mental power, but not some sort of physical power. That confuses me. I mean, how is this god effecting your mental state? If this god is able to do that, well then, that god must have some sort of way to be in your mind or dna.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The idea of an immaculate conception based on supernatural circumstances has been around for eons. Christianity took that from paganism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :word

It's that kind of stuff where I have my doubts. When physical things happen (Resurrection is another example) it seems impossible.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Christian's simply repeating their own dogma is hardly evidence.

Seriously, what other conclusion would they come to?

"Oh shit, we had it wrong all along. Christ was never risen. Welp, there goes thousands of years or organized religion"
    Sorry, this made me chuckle.

Confirmation bias at best.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Your saying this god has this type of mental power, but not some sort of physical power. That confuses me. I mean, how is this god effecting your mental state? If this god is able to do that, well then, that god must have some sort of way to be in your mind or dna.
    This god is indirectly effecting my mental state because I believe in the ideals that he stands for and portrays. These are subjective and change between amongst everyone. What I believe is right may be different from what you believe is right, yet we may still believe in god. Religion is very subjective.

Your beliefs condition how your conscious responds. For example, I may do somethign that you feel is wrong, but I don't think is wrong based on our subjective interpretation of how this standard is set. Again, we both believe in god, but our interpretation is different. That is how I think the mental power works. That being said - you can have a conscious response and it's not fuelled by anything religious and that's fine too. I'm just saying I believe that is a large part of how my conscious is built - my belief in god and my interpretation of what god stands for as right or wrong.

When you start introducing physical stuff, it's completely different.
    - Ray Lewis

This god is indirectly effecting my mental state because I believe in the ideals that he stands for and portrays. These are subjective and change between amongst everyone. What I believe is right may be different from what you believe is right, yet we may still believe in god. Religion is very subjective.

Your beliefs condition how your conscious responds. For example, I may do somethign that you feel is wrong, but I don't think is wrong based on our subjective interpretation of how this standard is set. Again, we both believe in god, but our interpretation is different. That is how I think the mental power works. That being said - you can have a conscious response and it's not fuelled by anything religious and that's fine too. I'm just saying I believe that is a large part of how my conscious is built - my belief in god and my interpretation of what god stands for as right or wrong.

When you start introducing physical stuff, it's completely different.
    OK this just confuses me more. This god you believe in has a varying moral code based on each individuals belief? Then that god is really not asserting a moral code at all.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    OK this just confuses me more. This god you believe in has a varying moral code based on each individuals belief? Then that god is really not asserting a moral code at all.
    Do you think every Christian should believe everything in the bible? Word for word everything?

You do realize there's varying degrees of religious belief right? There are ultra-orthodox believers and much more casual believers. Same god, same book, same moral code. Different interpretation.
    - Ray Lewis