Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Rap Heads

Re: OT Rap Heads

Seeing RTJ on Monday in NYC. Not all new stuff is bad.. just most of it. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    I've gotta go with Scenario. Also up there would be Me Myself & I. I feel bad for not mentioning Del anywhere yet, particularly Deltron 3030... my favorite track off that has to be Positive Contact.

And oh yeah... Don't Sweat the Technique.

Scenario. Yeah, that's up there for me too. Tribe at its finest.

Going through my iTunes and The DOC's "It's Funky Enough" gets a lot of play with me. Dude had talent for days but just couldn't catch a break during his career.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    :word

Give me some EPMD, Tribe, etc over today's stuff any day of the week.

Hell, I'd even take some old school go-go over what's being put out today.
    Since you roll with EPMD, I will never question anything you ever say. You have achieved prophet status!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Anyone have one specific song they'd say is their favourite. There's a few I'm sure are pretty common favourites like Juicy by Biggy

Shooks Ones Pt. 2 is up there for me and Rap God by Eminem. It just shows how good his freestyle is - he's insane
    Lately it's been J-Live's Timeless. He's a wizard with words man.

Settle a bet for me (and my apologies for the slight hijack) ....

Rap seems to transcend race. Where I grew up, white and black kids alike enjoyed rap and rock & roll but I think we may have been outliers the more I travel and meet new people. Here is Texas, there's this melding of all races enjoying rap, rock and country.

Does that same dynamic take place with rock music these days? Like, does the average black adult living today have music by AC/DC, Pearl Jam, U2 or Metallica on their iPods? Is rock not something that translates well outside the white community anymore?

Rap seems to transcend race. Where I grew up, white and black kids alike enjoyed rap and rock & roll but I think we may have been outliers the more I travel and meet new people. Here is Texas, there's this melding of all races enjoying rap, rock and country.

Does that same dynamic take place with rock music these days? Like, does the average black adult living today have music by AC/DC, Pearl Jam, U2 or Metallica on their iPods? Is rock not something that translates well outside the white community anymore?
    I think rock does translate outside the white community. Plenty of black kids enjoy rock. A lot of Lil Wayne's music uses rock elements. And his collabs with artists like Kevin Rudolf on Let It Rock. The collab album Collision Course with Jay Z and Linkin Park was a huge hit in the black community. Even back in the day with Walk This Way, Run DMC and Aerosmith. Other races of fans of rock even if they don't know it.

There really aren't hugely popular rock bands today. Those groups you mentioned are old acts. Kids nowadays don't know them. Just like they don't know most older rappers. The last U2 concert you went to how many young people were there? Not many I bet.

I think that's the great thing about rap, is that it can transit many genres. Gorillaz is a great example of blending genres around hip hop. Since the beginning rap was spitting bars over tracks of popular songs. A lot of raps have used samples from rock music, even the most popular tracks ever. So like I said, they love those beats and enjoy rock without even knowing that's what it is.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I think rock does translate outside the white community. Plenty of black kids enjoy rock. A lot of Lil Wayne's music uses rock elements. And his collabs with artists like Kevin Rudolf on Let It Rock. The collab album Collision Course with Jay Z and Linkin Park was a huge hit in the black community. Even back in the day with Walk This Way, Run DMC and Aerosmith. Other races of fans of rock even if they don't know it.

There really aren't hugely popular rock bands today. Those groups you mentioned are old acts. Kids nowadays don't know them. Just like they don't know most older rappers. The last U2 concert you went to how many young people were there? Not many I bet.

I think that's the great thing about rap, is that it can transit many genres. Gorillaz is a great example of blending genres around hip hop. Since the beginning rap was spitting bars over tracks of popular songs. A lot of raps have used samples from rock music, even the most popular tracks ever. So like I said, they love those beats and enjoy rock without even knowing that's what it is.
    Good points

But there were quite a bit of 20 somethings at the last few U2 concerts I attended. Aerosmith and Pearl Jam, not so much.

Ill speak on this as a black 20 year old. My average black peers do *not* listen to rock. Like at all. Feels like "rap" is king today so I'd say that both white people and black people listen to it, which apparently hasn't changed from the olden days. But the average 20-ish year old black person that I have met is very trend influenced. Rock is white people music, blues and jazz are old people music, 90's rap is outdated music and so on.

My primary genre is country. I grew up in the sticks listening to George Strait, Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, etc., but I also listen to rap and the emo/post-hardcore fad of the 00's.

I don't listen to much new country though given it's taken this "pop" turn and I can't stand it. Newer guys like Chris Stapleton that are going back to the cowboy routes are the only things I can listen to.

My music playlist is quite bizarre. I'll listen to pretty much anything. I don't think it's all that limited to certain race/age groups, but that's just my experience. Sedjro gave a good flip of the coin.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

I do a ton of group exercise classes and they always play pop. It's affected my brain and I end up listening to almost exclusively pop now. Old fart listens to Ariana Grande, Chainsmokers and Pitbull while my 21 year old son listens to classic rock (Van Halen, Journey, etc)

The world's upside down

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Thoughts on rap beefs and diss tracks?

Honestly I miss this part of rap the most, without the real world violence obviously. But I think rap beefs gave us some classic tracks, like Ether. Seems most disses are subliminal hidden in lyrics that no one really understand or stupid twitter shots.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Thoughts on rap beefs and diss tracks?

Honestly I miss this part of rap the most, without the real world violence obviously. But I think rap beefs gave us some classic tracks, like Ether. Seems most disses are subliminal hidden in lyrics that no one really understand or stupid twitter shots.
    Oh man. If tracks like Oohh Kill Em and 0 to 100 are considered to be "fire" diss tracks then you know you are in a bad place. I sound so typical saying that music was better then, without any exceptions but the facts speak loud and true. Diss tracks are dead.