Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 407

Thread: 2017 NHL Thread

  1. #37

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread



    I am impressed with the Caps team speed. The first 3 lines just fly all over the place. With that speed the cup will be here.





  2. #38

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteRaven View Post
    I'm not a big hockey fan - I just follow the Caps casually. Is there anything to the notion that they are peaking too soon for the second straight year ? Obviously you are trying your best each and every game - but they can't keep up this level of play forever. Just wondering if they are shooting their wad too soon.
    Good question. I watch everyone of their games and they are not winning because players are playing out of their minds. They are very methodical. Last year it had a different feel to it. They were not playing great defense and were winning shootouts. They relied a ton on their top two lines. This year watching them win 5-0 is ho hum. Last year required a ton of intensity. They would start games slow and would have to ramp it up to win. This year they play great defense, they forecheck and they make teams pay for mistakes. Last year seemed to be more about power play goals and they struggled a bit more 5v5. They have next week off. Their timing may be a little off coming out of that break.





  3. #39

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Caps have scored 5+ goals in 9 straight home games.

    That's just sick.
    Sounds familiar....

    One more stat that is really sick, then I will stop because there's a long way to go and February fawning doesn't get you the Cup...

    Since December 31, the team with 4th greatest goal differential (goals scored minus goals allowed) is at 12. Third place is 13. Two teams tied at second, at 14.

    Caps are first, at 50.





  4. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    34,414

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    Sounds familiar....

    One more stat that is really sick, then I will stop because there's a long way to go and February fawning doesn't get you the Cup...

    Since December 31, the team with 4th greatest goal differential (goals scored minus goals allowed) is at 12. Third place is 13. Two teams tied at second, at 14.

    Caps are first, at 50.
    Insane.





  5. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    17,108

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Flacco's_Haircut View Post
    Ya I mean we've kept Alfredsson in the org. also and they're basically brothers. I'm just not as worried about him leaving as I guess a lot of fans are.

    It sounds like they're really trying to make Stone a part of the leadership group and they'll likely give him an A when Neil moves on. Stone is such an incredible player to watch, the IQ and stick work is pretty much unrivalled. The only player I think that comes close in both departments right now is McDavid...although of course he has a lot of other qualities ahead of Stone, but I agree I think Stone is an under the radar star and future regular on Team Canada with his all around game.

    Oddly enough, my biggest flight risk worry for the team was always Colin White. But if we can bring him in after his college season then I can see a big boost to our bottom 6. Honestly anything that gets Lazar and Neil out of the lineup for someone who can actually produce offence is a plus.

    Ya I don't venture too much in the trade proposals on HF boards but I would jump at that trade. I doubt Edmonton would give us Eberle that easily though, I think their past interest in Lazar would have died down by now. Our best chance to lose Ryan might be the expansion draft and if Vegas takes him instead of say Methot / Ceci then we are laughing.
    I've gotten to know Stone. His girlfriend is from my hometown (her sister is dating Ceci - yeah it's hilarious lol). He likes Ottawa and doesn't speak negative of the team or the culture, which is great.

    White could easily pull a Vesey. There should be a rule on that for the college guys. What Vesey and Hayes did is so god damn dirty. It's their right, I get that, but it's still garbage given they're finishing school. Guys playing CHL don't have that same type of set up. It pisses me off
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

    Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR





  6. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    34,414

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread

    Another home game, another five goals.





  7. #43

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Another home game, another five goals.
    5 goals and I would say that was an off game. They had some great opportunities and it could have been 5 goals after the first period. Holtby was not that sharp and their D was not great last night. Ovie only played 13m and change last night. Burakovsky is going to miss some time with a hand injury. There are 8 weeks left in the regular season. Lets hope he can get back in a month or less.





  8. #44

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread

    Sharks fan here. I tried to cheer for the Caps a few years back and just couldn't bring myself to do it. I hate everything else about DC sports, so I felt gross. I think when the crowd at Verizon Center booed John Harbaugh, that was the last straw for me.

    That said, I don't begrudge other Baltimore fans for going with the Caps, especially if that's been their team all their lives. It's just not for me.

    So after the Ravens missed the playoffs in 2013 for the first time since 2007 and I was bored out of my mind with only Terps Bball to entertain me, I decided to really get into hockey. I needed to be emotionally invested in a team to care enough to watch though. I knew it couldn't be the Caps. I decided on the team that I liked the last time I was into hockey, back when I was like 11 - the San Jose Sharks. Downloaded the app, studied their roster, bought NHL.TV so I could watch all their games.

    In addition, the Sharks are basically Caps West - great regular-season team, perennial playoff chokers. So it's not like I was jumping on the LA Kings or Chicago Blackhawks bandwagon. My first year as a fan, the Sharks blew a 3-0 playoff lead to LA, so I felt like I was properly initiated into the heartbreak that comes with Shark territory.

    Fast-forward a few years, and the Sharks finally DONT choke in the playoffs and make it to the SCF. Who is standing in their way, but...OF COURSE...goddamn Pittsburgh. Bane of my existence, crusher of my dreams Pittsburgh. Towel-wavers. Steelers fans. Mike Tomlin was at a SCF game. My nightmare came true, because the universe is cruel and twisted.

    I was really hoping for a Caps-Sharks final. Even if the Sharks didn't win, I'd have honestly been happy for all the long-suffering Caps fans I know. Would have been win-win. Instead...well, you Caps fans know.

    The Caps are amazing this year. Just running roughshod. I hope they finally break through. Caps-Sharks SCF still sounds good to me.

    This was at the Ravens Roost Convention in OC last year after Donskoi beat Pittsburgh in Overtime to give the Sharks new SCF life. Goddamn Pittsburgh...

    derek-oc-sharks-flag.JPG





  9. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    17,108

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NestMinder View Post
    Sharks fan here. I tried to cheer for the Caps a few years back and just couldn't bring myself to do it. I hate everything else about DC sports, so I felt gross. I think when the crowd at Verizon Center booed John Harbaugh, that was the last straw for me.

    That said, I don't begrudge other Baltimore fans for going with the Caps, especially if that's been their team all their lives. It's just not for me.

    So after the Ravens missed the playoffs in 2013 for the first time since 2007 and I was bored out of my mind with only Terps Bball to entertain me, I decided to really get into hockey. I needed to be emotionally invested in a team to care enough to watch though. I knew it couldn't be the Caps. I decided on the team that I liked the last time I was into hockey, back when I was like 11 - the San Jose Sharks. Downloaded the app, studied their roster, bought NHL.TV so I could watch all their games.

    In addition, the Sharks are basically Caps West - great regular-season team, perennial playoff chokers. So it's not like I was jumping on the LA Kings or Chicago Blackhawks bandwagon. My first year as a fan, the Sharks blew a 3-0 playoff lead to LA, so I felt like I was properly initiated into the heartbreak that comes with Shark territory.

    Fast-forward a few years, and the Sharks finally DONT choke in the playoffs and make it to the SCF. Who is standing in their way, but...OF COURSE...goddamn Pittsburgh. Bane of my existence, crusher of my dreams Pittsburgh. Towel-wavers. Steelers fans. Mike Tomlin was at a SCF game. My nightmare came true, because the universe is cruel and twisted.

    I was really hoping for a Caps-Sharks final. Even if the Sharks didn't win, I'd have honestly been happy for all the long-suffering Caps fans I know. Would have been win-win. Instead...well, you Caps fans know.

    The Caps are amazing this year. Just running roughshod. I hope they finally break through. Caps-Sharks SCF still sounds good to me.

    This was at the Ravens Roost Convention in OC last year after Donskoi beat Pittsburgh in Overtime to give the Sharks new SCF life. Goddamn Pittsburgh...

    derek-oc-sharks-flag.JPG
    Brent Burns is hands down my favourite player.

    Agree completely fo the comparison. The core they have in Marleau, Jumbo Joe, Couture, Pavelski on O and Burns, Vlasic on D is incredible. One of the better cores in the league.

    I cheered for the Sharks last year in the postseason.
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

    Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR





  10. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    34,414

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Burakovsky is going to miss some time with a hand injury. There are 8 weeks left in the regular season. Lets hope he can get back in a month or less.
    Yep. According to Trotz, he's out till late March.





  11. #47

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yep. According to Trotz, he's out till late March.
    Vrana is supposedly the most NFL ready prospect and he is the same type of player as Bura. They keep him the minors so he can get consistent playing time. Guessing they call him up after the break and plug him in that spot while Bura is out.





  12. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    17,108

    Re: 2017 NHL Thread

    TSN1200 (Ottawa's station - I'm a daily listener) had a good talk on the Caps today. Just about the evolution of Ovie leading up to this year and how much different he looks as a player. Specifically, when the playoffs start he's not going to be expected to carry the goal scoring load and it's a much more spread out team. Thought you guys would be interested in that.
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

    Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland