Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Protests

Blog Entries

Protests

Anyone see the footage from the UC Berkeley protests regarding Milo Yioanopolis speaking at their campus yesterday?

Having nothing to do with Milo, these protests from students and left wing nut jobs turning into situations where rocks are hurled at police officers, fireworks are shot off at people, and property is destroyed is absolutely disgusting. The fact that a lot of college campuses have perpetuated this idea that violent protesting is ok is ridiculous.

Let's exercise our right to assemble and protest someone else's right to free speech. Smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Protests

Free speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

If you want to speak about idea X, its perfectly acceptable to hear from people who believe in idea Y. I have no issue with any protest, counter protest, etc. That's the free flow of ideas our country was founded upon.

That said, you turn violent and you lose instant credibility and do your side far worse damage. We are in an age where colleges, instead of embracing debate and a free flow of ideas, have coddled one point of view, offering up safe zones and other such nonsense.

Both sides are guilty of this too, btw. We as a society would rather have out opinions validated than actually listen to another view point. When another viewpoint is expressed, it's nothing but personal attacks as opposed to respective debate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

If you want to speak about idea X, its perfectly acceptable to hear from people who believe in idea Y. I have no issue with any protest, counter protest, etc. That's the free flow of ideas our country was founded upon.

That said, you turn violent and you lose instant credibility and do your side far worse damage. We are in an age where colleges, instead of embracing debate and a free flow of ideas, have coddled one point of view, offering up safe zones and other such nonsense.

Both sides are guilty of this too, btw. We as a society would rather have out opinions validated than actually listen to another view point. When another viewpoint is expressed, it's nothing but personal attacks as opposed to respective debate.
    :word

Im sure youre very aware being libertarian. Make a comment on FB on either a Trump page or a liberal page and its the same reaction by both, and rarely is it a respectful rebuttal within the debate. people like being parts of groups, and feel protected in numbers.

Im fine with protests, even though I dont really get protesting the results of a democratic election, but i dont support riots. somehow protests and riots have become synonymous and they shouldnt. Womens march was an example of a good protest. millions of people nation wide, not one arrest. Thats how they all should be.
    -JAB

This is what has happened due to, what I call, the "Hurt feelings movement".

You can't discuss shit, including on university campuses".

When I was in 3rd year I was in a womens studies class, largely becuase I was trying to figure out what the fuss about feminism was. Honestly, I learnt a lot.

At the same time this happened: http://thefulcrum.ca/news/sexually-v...leaked-online/

It sparked the "Rape culture" talk.

My prof came up to me before the class (It was a class of 50 students and there were 2 guys in it) and said she wanted to spend the class discussing it critically and she would appreciate if I could give a guys perspective.

So I did and spent an hour and a half getting blasted by women who tried to turn everything I said into an example of me supporting rape culture.

You can't cirtically talk about situations anymore.

When you do talk about things you automatically get assigned to a side. You criticize the Republicans? You clearly support the Dems. Vice versa? You clearly support the Republicans. "You're a libleral pussy", "You're a racist", etc, etc.

Hurt feelings in debates are unfortunate. When things get personal (Like they did in the Trump thread) then I understand why people lash out. You wanna discuss my argument? Let's do it. You wanna resort to personal insults becuase you can't formulate arguments? Well let's do that then.

Other than that getting all upset and rattled becuase someone disagrees with you is ruining the conversations that need to happen in society.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Anyone see the footage from the UC Berkeley protests regarding Milo Yioanopolis speaking at their campus yesterday?

Having nothing to do with Milo, these protests from students and left wing nut jobs turning into situations where rocks are hurled at police officers, fireworks are shot off at people, and property is destroyed is absolutely disgusting. The fact that a lot of college campuses have perpetuated this idea that violent protesting is ok is ridiculous.

Let's exercise our right to assemble and protest someone else's right to free speech. Smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Occupy Movement was in essence a training camp for these type of riots. I heard that protest started out peaceful until the guys with sticks and masks showed up. This is organized destruction by rioters, not protesters. I still can't help but believe George Soros is behind it and paying for this chaos.

The Police basically stood by and let it happen. Janet Napalitano, former AZ Governor and also former head of Homeland Security is now the head of UC Berkeley.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    This is what has happened due to, what I call, the "Hurt feelings movement".

You can't discuss shit, including on university campuses".

When I was in 3rd year I was in a womens studies class, largely becuase I was trying to figure out what the fuss about feminism was. Honestly, I learnt a lot.

At the same time this happened: http://thefulcrum.ca/news/sexually-v...leaked-online/

It sparked the "Rape culture" talk.

My prof came up to me before the class (It was a class of 50 students and there were 2 guys in it) and said she wanted to spend the class discussing it critically and she would appreciate if I could give a guys perspective.

So I did and spent an hour and a half getting blasted by women who tried to turn everything I said into an example of me supporting rape culture.

You can't cirtically talk about situations anymore.

When you do talk about things you automatically get assigned to a side. You criticize the Republicans? You clearly support the Dems. Vice versa? You clearly support the Republicans. "You're a libleral pussy", "You're a racist", etc, etc.

Hurt feelings in debates are unfortunate. When things get personal (Like they did in the Trump thread) then I understand why people lash out. You wanna discuss my argument? Let's do it. You wanna resort to personal insults becuase you can't formulate arguments? Well let's do that then.

Other than that getting all upset and rattled becuase someone disagrees with you is ruining the conversations that need to happen in society.
    Those women (maybe not all) are hypocrites.

I was talking to my wife's Aunt a few weeks back. She was saying that Trump's comments about "grabbing women by the *****" didn't bother her. I asked why and she said "I've been to a male strip club and a women's strip club, I've heard guys talk about women and I've hear women talk about men, the women in both situations are worse"

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Those women (maybe not all) are hypocrites.

I was talking to my wife's Aunt a few weeks back. She was saying that Trump's comments about "grabbing women by the *****" didn't bother her. I asked why and she said "I've been to a male strip club and a women's strip club, I've heard guys talk about women and I've hear women talk about men, the women in both situations are worse"
    So your one example makes the majority hypocrites?

Blog Entries

So your one example makes the majority hypocrites?
    Thats what I was just about to say.

Not to mention that entire "Pussy Grabbing" incident somehow always overlooks what he said that was actually wrong. The implication that he didnt need consent is what was unsettling to many women. It was lockerroom talk that ive heard and contributed in up until that point. I dont think thats nearly as common, ive certainly never heard anything like that before.

I also dont get how it always comes back to that one statement like thats the only thing in his history against women. For better or worse, hes been in the public eye for a long time, and its not all been positive towards women. Not sure how thats still even debatable when most of its on Audio or Video. Whether it matters to somebody personally is their own prerogative, but that information is out there regardless.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Thats what I was just about to say.

Not to mention that entire "Pussy Grabbing" incident somehow always overlooks what he said that was actually wrong. The implication that he didnt need consent is what was unsettling to many women. It was lockerroom talk that ive heard and contributed in up until that point. I dont think thats nearly as common, ive certainly never heard anything like that before.

I also dont get how it always comes back to that one statement like thats the only thing in his history against women. For better or worse, hes been in the public eye for a long time, and its not all been positive towards women. Not sure how thats still even debatable when most of its on Audio or Video. Whether it matters to somebody personally is their own prerogative, but that information is out there regardless.
    And let's ignore the decades worth of other statements he made because my Aunt wasn't offended.

And let's ignore the decades worth of other statements he made because my Aunt wasn't offended.
    I love how unphased he was by the image he got. HE didn't even like make any sort of real apology to try and get women back on his side. He jsut kinda went with it. Turly remarkable to see.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

How did we get from protests/riots to pussy grabbing?
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    How did we get from protests/riots to pussy grabbing?
    I brought up a feminism discussion lol.
    - Ray Lewis