Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Kenneth Dixon and his role going forward

Before I start on Dixon, I will say that I think Terence West is a decent RB2/back up rb in an NFL offense. He is someone you could use in the 4th quarter to wear down defenses.

But onto a more promising back who may or may not be able to become a true featured back. (I invite the likes of Filmstudy to offer his valued opinion). I liked what I seen from Kenneth is his rookie season, he kind of reminded me a little of Rice, but more of an up right runner and without as much shiftyness, but he appeared to be a stronger runner.

A lot of talk has been on Leonard Fournette and Dalvin Cook who could be day 1 difference makers on any offense. I and wondering if Dixon can become that guy? What do we make of him going forward? One of the main things that MUST improve is the run game, and that's going to take more than a good Oline, the back needs to be a top 10 back imo. Is Dixon good enough to be that guy? Or do we need to look else where?

Re: Kenneth Dixon and his role going forward

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Before I start on Dixon, I will say that I think Terence West is a decent RB2/back up rb in an NFL offense. He is someone you could use in the 4th quarter to wear down defenses.

But onto a more promising back who may or may not be able to become a true featured back. (I invite the likes of Filmstudy to offer his valued opinion). I liked what I seen from Kenneth is his rookie season, he kind of reminded me a little of Rice, but more of an up right runner and without as much shiftyness, but he appeared to be a stronger runner.

A lot of talk has been on Leonard Fournette and Dalvin Cook who could be day 1 difference makers on any offense. I and wondering if Dixon can become that guy? What do we make of him going forward? One of the main things that MUST improve is the run game, and that's going to take more than a good Oline, the back needs to be a top 10 back imo. Is Dixon good enough to be that guy? Or do we need to look else where?
    Everyone is keen to see a good deal more of Dixon. Fournette is not realistic at #16, so I am resigned to rolling with Dixon and West in 2017. We should be ok as long as the Oline is markedly stronger. I would like to have a better no. 1 back, but I am not convinced he has to be a top 10 back. If we get lucky in the mid rounds on a RB, that's fine. But, we don't need another Buck Allen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Everyone is keen to see a good deal more of Dixon. Fournette is not realistic at #16, so I am resigned to rolling with Dixon and West in 2017. We should be ok as long as the Oline is markedly stronger. I would like to have a better no. 1 back, but I am not convinced he has to be a top 10 back. If we get lucky in the mid rounds on a RB, that's fine. But, we don't need another Buck Allen.
    I agree except for the Buck Allen comment. In 2015 Allen played pretty well when he was given the opportunity. While he isn't a #1 back, he can be a competent #3. That's why if I was Ozzie, I wouldn't spend a draft choice on RB this year. We only have 8 picks, so if I'm going to "speculate" on mid and late round choices, I'd go to plug holes in positions of need... Bc
    P.S. - I am confident that Dixon can develop into a more than adequate RB. He also has the hands to be a good receiver too.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I agree except for the Buck Allen comment. In 2015 Allen played pretty well when he was given the opportunity. While he isn't a #1 back, he can be a competent #3. That's why if I was Ozzie, I wouldn't spend a draft choice on RB this year. We only have 8 picks, so if I'm going to "speculate" on mid and late round choices, I'd go to plug holes in positions of need... Bc
    P.S. - I am confident that Dixon can develop into a more than adequate RB. He also has the hands to be a good receiver too.
    I hope we do not draft a #3 running back, we have Buck Allen for that. If they draft a running back, he should be better than what we've got. I will not be upset if they do not draft one at all. RB is not high on my draft list. But they say this a strong year for RBs, so I am staying tuned.

Blog Entries

sounds like were bringing in a back regardless. They barely even mentions Buck, though then said he could become the type of back theyre looking for.

To me Dixon showed plenty for me to hand the keys to him. he fights hard. looks smooth and has a burst. catches well. I dont see why wed prioritize a RB when he and West both looked capable, and him inparticular dynamic. The run game needs help, but its more about usage and blocking than RB imo.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I really hope you are right, I'm more pessimistic and here is why

Not really sure about RB(s)
    We had FA Priest Holmes, but drafting seems to be hit or miss ... Jamal and Ray were the 2 highest, but after that is is a mixed result
    Chester Taylor and Musa Smith were OK, but that makes 4 out of 15. School is still out on Javorius and Dixon ... so is that 9 busts out of 15? That really surprised me, seemed low until I looked at Fullbacks where we have had a lot better success - 3 out of 4 plus a passel of free agents, so my perspective on backs was skewed higher.
    In light of this, I don't expect much from Javorius - I hope I'm wrong but history is against him

1997 #64 Jay Graham and #167 Steve Lee
    2000 #5 Jamal Lewis
    2001 #161 Chris Barnes
    2002 #207 Chester Taylor
    2003 #77 Musa Smith
    2006 #132 P. J. Daniels
    2008 #55 Ray Rice and #240 Allen Patrick
    2009 #185 Cedric Peerman
    2011 #225 Anthony Allen
    2012 #84 Bernard Pierce
    2014 #138 Lorenzo Taliaferro
    2015 #125 Javorius Allen
    2016 #134 Kenneth Dixon
    (Trades and FA Willis, Terry Allen, Ricky Williams, Errict Rhett, Leroy Hoard, Bobby Rainey, Bam Morris, Matt Lawrence, Jalen Parmele, Cory Ross, and now West)

we also drafted some fullbacks (but free agents were Lorenzo Neal, Sam Gash, Vonta Leachisabeast, Mike Anderson, Chuck Evans, Roosevelt Potts, Alan Ricard)
    2003 #134 Ovie Mughelli FB
    2005 #158 Justin Green FB
    2007 #137 Le'Ron McClain FB
    2013 #130 Kyle Juszczyk FB
    UDFA Ayanbadejo, Obafemi 1997

Counting FBs, we have drafted a RB every year except 2010, 2004, 99, 98
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I said it late in the season and I'll say it again. Dixon reminds me of Brian Westbrook. Same size, build, speed, skill set. It took the Eagles a couple years to realize what they had and build an offense around him and he turned in a couple 2000 total yard campaigns in the process. I would love to see what this kid do, but it will take the Ravens actually game planning for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I said it late in the season and I'll say it again. Dixon reminds me of Brian Westbrook. Same size, build, speed, skill set. It took the Eagles a couple years to realize what they had and build an offense around him and he turned in a couple 2000 total yard campaigns in the process. I would love to see what this kid do, but it will take the Ravens actually game planning for it.

If we waste a draft pick on a RB in the first 3 rounds I will extremely pissed. Where we could use another RB there is zero reason to draft one that high. We have 3 solid to serviceable running backs in Dixon, WEst, Allen and Taliafaro) if he is ever gets heathy.

RB and TE are positions that can absolutely be ignored with this years 8 draft choices. We have way too many holes to fill

Dixon could be a good second tier running back...

Blog Entries

Dixon cannot be Fournette.

I do like Dixon a lot. You give him 150 carries a year and 50 receptions and he's going to be a big part of the offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    I really hope you are right, I'm more pessimistic and here is why

Not really sure about RB(s)
    We had FA Priest Holmes, but drafting seems to be hit or miss ... Jamal and Ray were the 2 highest, but after that is is a mixed result
    Chester Taylor and Musa Smith were OK, but that makes 4 out of 15. School is still out on Javorius and Dixon ... so is that 9 busts out of 15? That really surprised me, seemed low until I looked at Fullbacks where we have had a lot better success - 3 out of 4 plus a passel of free agents, so my perspective on backs was skewed higher.
    In light of this, I don't expect much from Javorius - I hope I'm wrong but history is against him

1997 #64 Jay Graham and #167 Steve Lee
    2000 #5 Jamal Lewis
    2001 #161 Chris Barnes
    2002 #207 Chester Taylor
    2003 #77 Musa Smith
    2006 #132 P. J. Daniels
    2008 #55 Ray Rice and #240 Allen Patrick
    2009 #185 Cedric Peerman
    2011 #225 Anthony Allen
    2012 #84 Bernard Pierce
    2014 #138 Lorenzo Taliaferro
    2015 #125 Javorius Allen
    2016 #134 Kenneth Dixon
    (Trades and FA Willis, Terry Allen, Ricky Williams, Errict Rhett, Leroy Hoard, Bobby Rainey, Bam Morris, Matt Lawrence, Jalen Parmele, Cory Ross, and now West)

we also drafted some fullbacks (but free agents were Lorenzo Neal, Sam Gash, Vonta Leachisabeast, Mike Anderson, Chuck Evans, Roosevelt Potts, Alan Ricard)
    2003 #134 Ovie Mughelli FB
    2005 #158 Justin Green FB
    2007 #137 Le'Ron McClain FB
    2013 #130 Kyle Juszczyk FB
    UDFA Ayanbadejo, Obafemi 1997

Counting FBs, we have drafted a RB every year except 2010, 2004, 99, 98
    Definitely a throw it at the wall and see what sticks approach

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Dixon cannot be Fournette.

I do like Dixon a lot. You give him 150 carries a year and 50 receptions and he's going to be a big part of the offense.
    Yeah no way he's not that type of player, but what about Ray Rice?