Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Brian Billick compares Conner Cook to Kyle Boller

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Honestly the reason Jamal didn't get more yards was the Ravens had no receiving threats at all that year save for Todd Heap. If the Ravens had one legit WR, they would've been the greatest play action offense of all time because Jamal was regularly beating 8 and even 9 man fronts.

What he did was have one of the three greatest rushing seasons of all time because he had no other threats to help him out.

Shame on Ozzie and the Ravens for not getting better personnel.
    Exactly, and how has this culture changed significantly in recent years? Look at drafting after the SB. This is all you need to know about where we are now. All these people, Harbs included operate within the context of the culture of the organization. If we accept that, and take Harbs at his word, as well as look at his coaching within the context of Billick, there is no reason, none, why he should be keeping Pees. His decision to do so, in light of the latter half season collapse, is absurd. Our stats might be good, but our schemes and skill positions don't pass the eye test and we have been having the same discussion for years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The one thing that I will always be grateful for is that, he alone almost made my dream come true. Randy Moss was almost a Raven. However, the Minnesota Vikings were a bunch of pricks who wanted to stick it to Randy and sent him to Oakland for less than they would have got from Ozzie.
    Moss would have lost his mind playing with Boller, that would have been an interesting relationship.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I loved me some Jamal Lewis but he seriously benefited from playing against the Browns that year to the tune of 500 yards alone against them(Nearly 1/4 of his season total in those two games). The other 14 games he averaged about 107 yards. Nothing to sneeze at but still not exactly Zeke Elliott and that line he's got. If the line was that good I would think he would have averaged ore then 107 in the other 14 games.

I agree. He was the perfect guy to bring in at the time he was brought in with that brash attitude that this team needed. Without him and that speech bit at media day I'm not so sure we even get to the Superbowl let alone win it.
    If Jamal in his prime was running behind that Cowboys line with that receiving talent, with either Prescott or Romo, and Scott Linehan, it would have been more of a case of should we give Jamal 200 yards today or should we rest him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Moss would have lost his mind playing with Boller, that would have been an interesting relationship.
    He would have made Boller a pro bowler. The huddle would have went something like this. Randy "Kyle you throw it as far as you can I'm going to get it"
    Kyle "ok"

Blog Entries

Billick >>>>>>>> Harbaugh

Put Joe on Billicks team he's in the running with the hoodie for most Super Bowl wins. They would have gotten 3 or 4 in the 2000s. Hell broken down McNair almost got one

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If Jamal in his prime was running behind that Cowboys line with that receiving talent, with either Prescott or Romo, and Scott Linehan, it would have been more of a case of should we give Jamal 200 yards today or should we rest him.
    Yup, and you pretty just helped make my original point. That line was not that great. Jamal was a man among boys that made you pay if you were in front of him in the way. An ordinary back wouldn't have had nearly the success he did.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    T.O. would have choked out Boller if he had agreed to stay here in 2004 instead of forcing his way out. It would have been fun to see Flacco and prime Randy Moss playing together here.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Billick >>>>>>>> Harbaugh

Put Joe on Billicks team he's in the running with the hoodie for most Super Bowl wins. They would have gotten 3 or 4 in the 2000s. Hell broken down McNair almost got one
    Hell T.O. would have been ok staying here instead of forcing his way out. I had convinced myself that Harbaugh was better than Billick but that was mainly due to my dissatisfaction with Billick's arrogance post SB 35, however I will admit that I was completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    He would have made Boller a pro bowler. The huddle would have went something like this. Randy "Kyle you throw it as far as you can I'm going to get it"
    Kyle "ok"
    LOL I agree, pretty simple for Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    Hey here is another one since you seem to know the numbers so well and are so sure my statement was so wrong.

Last 4 years of each coaches career. Guess who is the worse coach?

Billick (33 wins & 31 losses)
    2004 9-7 record
    2005 6-10
    2006 13-3
    2007 5-11

Hard Head Harbaugh (31 wins & 33 losses)
    2013 8-8
    2014 10-6 ( Make no mistake, if Gary Kubiak was not here in 2014 this inept offense would have started 1 season earlier and we never would have saw 10-6)
    2015 5-11
    2016 8-8

So if you want to talk about which coach has done more with less and especially in last 4 years of each career.
    The fact you took this WAY too personal only belies my original point.

For one, I never said one was better than the other. As you accurately point out, they seem to be about the same in almost every category.

Which makes your original post all the more perplexing. You've a case that BOTH are incredibly similar, but for some reason you've also credited Billick with drafts and free agent signings he had little to do with outside of being the hard coach at the time of their signing. Once the Boller debacle happened, he didn't have the voice he originally had on draft day so much of those signings are an Ozzie creation not a Billick one..

So yes, I agree with you but probably not in the manner you intended. Billick was a great coach. But so is Harbaugh, as your stats accurately point out.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    Hell T.O. would have been ok staying here instead of forcing his way out. I had convinced myself that Harbaugh was better than Billick but that was mainly due to my dissatisfaction with Billick's arrogance post SB 35, however I will admit that I was completely wrong.
    Would Joe had even been on Billick's radar? I doubt it.

Redman, Boller, Case and Mitchell are his QB resume, all guys he wanted one way or another. Ozzie gave these guys to him and they all flamed out.

I think it's fair to say Billick wasn't this QB guru it was believed he'd be. And I am a big fan of the guy. In many ways, more so than Harbaugh.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Would Joe had even been on Billick's radar? I doubt it.

Redman, Boller, Case and Mitchell are his QB resume, all guys he wanted one way or another. Ozzie gave these guys to him and they all flamed out.

I think it's fair to say Billick wasn't this QB guru it was believed he'd be. And I am a big fan of the guy. In many ways, more so than Harbaugh.
    Honestly we will truly never know if Joe would have been on his radar, it's possible that Joe would have been on Billick's radar if he wasn't fired.