Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chance Against Chargers?

We are nine point dogs against the Chargers, which isn't that surprising since we just lost two home games against the Bengals and Browns. And yet, I feel we have a legitimate shot at winning this game, because the Chargers, as talented as they seem to be, are not playing that well. They were extremely lucky to beat the Colts, and have mixed in a few good games with some very unimpressive performances.

If the offense can play like they played in the second half of the Browns game for most of this one, I think we can pull off an upset. Unfortunately, we have not been a good road team this season, which is really the biggest aspect of the game that is dampening my optimism.

But these road woes have to end at some point, so why not now? I think the Chargers are overrated. I think they're going down.

And in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I will be thankful for that. Especially after what we saw these past two weeks.

Re: Chance Against Chargers?

We have a "chance" against anyone left on our schedule, but right now this is a bad football team which can't put it all together. If the Browns were able to generate that sort of pass rush last week, Merriman and the Chargers will probably do the same. Plus we'll have to contend with LT and Gates. I don't like our chances much, but I won't count us out against anyone. Not until halftime, at least.

Even the fact the Chargers are overrated and playing crappy ball doesnt dampen my hopes against the Bolts. I think our only saving grace is that Rivers has but one receiving threat in Gates. LT is a shell of his former self since testing positive for the roids so Im not too fearful of him right now.

By the way, there were a few that have been saying Norv Turner should get a look by us should Billick go. Im hoping a mod can pull those up.

That dude is downright cancer to a team!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Even the fact the Chargers are overrated and playing crappy ball doesnt dampen my hopes against the Bolts. I think our only saving grace is that Rivers has but one receiving threat in Gates. LT is a shell of his former self since testing positive for the roids so Im not too fearful of him right now.

By the way, there were a few that have been saying Norv Turner should get a look by us should Billick go. Im hoping a mod can pull those up.

That dude is downright cancer to a team!
    Im assuming you mean Shawne Merriman?

PP

I'm sure he meant Merriman, and it's true that he isn't playing as well as last year, at least with respect to pass rushing.

And as far as someone on this board advocating the Ravens to hire Norv Turner, I don't remember ever reading that. I doubt that even the most ardent Billick-hater would think Norv Turner would be an improvement.

We have a good chance if Rolle and C-Mac play.
    We have a very good chance if we run McGahee and take a few shots downfield.
    Steroids are a hell of a drug. Anyone see Jones-Drew level Merriman last week?

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Im assuming you mean Shawne Merriman?

PP
    Thats what I get for typing at 5 in the morning

We always have a chance. We should never give up, regardless of the odds and who knows, we may surprise ourselves. The other team has bad days, too.

The Chargers are hardly a scary team this season...

What most concerns me, actually, is special teams. Cribs was murdering us last week and the Chargers have a very good KR/PR themselves...

I'll be rooting like hell though!

If we can keep special teams under control this week, then we can beat the Chargers. If Cribbs didn't drag out ST guys 10 yards downfield with him, we win that Browns game.

Philip Rivers is nothing special and he's shown that this year. LT isn't having his best year. Their offense almost pulled defeat from the jaws of victory against the Colts. Their defense stinks too.

If we can play like we did the 2nd half against the Browns, we have a shot to beat them. I think they at least cover.

BTW, Marvin Harrison may still be out by the time they come to Baltimore. If the Colts keep playing the way they have the last 2-3 weeks, I see us having a realistic shot at them too at home.

Depends which Chargers team shows up as to whether we have a chance. If the early season team shows up, even with our penchant for implosion on the road we've got a shot. If the Chargers team that blew the doors off the Broncos at Mile High shows up, we'll have to play an absolutely perfect game to have a shot.

It's the NFL, any given sunday and all that, so we have a shot. But in all honesty, our road record speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    We are nine point dogs against the Chargers, which isn't that surprising since we just lost two home games against the Bengals and Browns. And yet, I feel we have a legitimate shot at winning this game, because the Chargers, as talented as they seem to be, are not playing that well. They were extremely lucky to beat the Colts, and have mixed in a few good games with some very unimpressive performances.

If the offense can play like they played in the second half of the Browns game for most of this one, I think we can pull off an upset. Unfortunately, we have not been a good road team this season, which is really the biggest aspect of the game that is dampening my optimism.

But these road woes have to end at some point, so why not now? I think the Chargers are overrated. I think they're going down.

And in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I will be thankful for that. Especially after what we saw these past two weeks.
    I can honestly say, even though we are playing bad football, I am baffled by the nine points they are giving the Chargers. They are just as inconsistent as we are, and Rivers seems to regress every week. I personally love our chances against them, especially with Samari and CMac back. For some reason, the Chargers don't scare me at all.

I didn't know their defense is ranked 26th in the league, either. If we can control the clock not give them any turnovers, this is a definite win. LT will be shut down!!!!!
    Waiting for the next one!!!