Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going to call slight BS on the "slowness" of Pitta

Originally I took in the Phins game live on Satellite radio. Got to watch the game today on a rewind.

While blocking may be an issue, not only did I see Pitta put on some body control type moves that allowed separation........I also saw some spark/quickness/speed in his step.

On forums sometimes once a few folks call out somebody on having the speed of a water buffalo (WB). It snowballs into just a pile-on.

Scott Mitchell was the Ravens consummate WB. Just some nostalgia there.

But in Pitta, I saw I guy getting down the field plus YAC, getting open, and being slow was not any part of it. Yes he uses his craft, but the calls of being ungodly slow are not yet warranted IMO. To me Gilmore is WB slow. To Crockett's credit it is often hard for guys to just jump on a bull moose and slow it down. If he can get a few extra steps it is a hard take down. I like Gilmore to, then again I like most of my Ravens.

Now, if the Phins have the slowest LBs and safeties in the league perhaps my take is skewed. Still, I wasn't seeing SLOWWWW. If not as a Raven, the NFL will still see more of Pitta.

OT: as for Waller, I like the man. Still wish someone would spike his Wheaties with some Cajun hot sauce. Boyle going to play big part of any playoff run if we can start one, especially in run game or play action, really any phase. I'm in favor of putting time into scouting Blue Hens.
    Last edited by alienstar; 12-08-2016 at 03:05 AM.

Re: Going to call slight BS on the "slowness" of Pitta

It's not BS. Pitta was slow. That all seemed to change in the Cincy game. In Cincy he got rid of the lead in his ass (or hip). Can't remember when, but he just ran a straight seam route and was downfield in a second. Having Fast Pitta back is a huge development for this team.

I love me some Pitta and would be the first to say it if the media was embellishing. But Pitta is indeed slow. It was his knock coming out of college and two hip surgeries have not done him any favors.

What makes Pitta special are his precise routes and his hands.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I love me some Pitta and would be the first to say it if the media was embellishing. But Pitta is indeed slow. It was his knock coming out of college and two hip surgeries have not done him any favors.

I think you summed it up nicely. I'd add that a TE is not a WR, so he doesn't have to be a speed demon. Pitta is smart, knows how to find an open spot, and catches everything. Those three "skills" trump speed IMO... Bc

Blog Entries

His short area burst was his only truly superior athletic asset (3 cone) and it does seem to be sapped from the hip injuries. this isnt a bunch of people piling on, imo, its fact. That doesnt mean hes not adequate in these areas to still be a decent player. 60+ catches, is still 60+ catches. Hes getting it done, even if he isnt dynamic. Imo, he never was with that attribute.
    -JAB

He's good enough to dominate weak coverage. His best games came against Miami and Cleveland, whose LB corps generally suck (at least for coverage purposes.) But against better teams he's limited to 2- or 3-yard catches, often short of the sticks.

I love Pitta, I love his story, but he is not a receiver any good team is going to have to gameplan for. And he can't block. So as much as it pains me to say it, I hope this is his last season in Baltimore. We could get as much receiving production from Boyle/Gilmore/Williams if any of them can actually play an entire season.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    He's good enough to dominate weak coverage. His best games came against Miami and Cleveland, whose LB corps generally suck (at least for coverage purposes.) But against better teams he's limited to 2- or 3-yard catches, often short of the sticks.

I love Pitta, I love his story, but he is not a receiver any good team is going to have to gameplan for. And he can't block. So as much as it pains me to say it, I hope this is his last season in Baltimore. We could get as much receiving production from Boyle/Gilmore/Williams if any of them can actually play an entire season.
    :word

Outside of some good work on 3rd downs early in the season, Pitta had been running mostly very short checkdown routes for much of the middle of the season. That made him look quite slow, catching 3 yard passes short of the first down marker. Miami was the first time in a long time they started sending him more aggressively out over the middle on early downs.

Boy do I wish Darren Waller starts to break out. He's gotta be one of the fastest TE in the league. He had comparable combine stats than Greg Olsen, who is probably the fastest right now?

Waller Combine
    6'6", 238 lbs
    4.46 40 yrd
    37 vertical
    125 broad jump
    7.07 3-cone

Olsen Combine
    6'5", 255 lbs
    4.51 40 yrd
    35.5 vertical
    114 broad jump
    7.04 3-cone

I dunno how much Waller slowed down as he bulked up to switch to TE, as he's 255 lbs now. But man, if he can become even a small fraction of the receiver that Olsen is (obviously he's MILES behind that now), he'd be a terrific compliment to the blocking TE we have on our roster once Pitta leaves.

Blog Entries

I agree HR, Pitta is slow, but he knows how to get open and use his body to shift and shield the ball. He's usually right where Flacco expects him and that confidence surpasses speed.

Well said! Well stated. Well played.

Blog Entries

pretty much

Blog Entries

I hope this is his last season in Baltimore. We could get as much receiving production from Boyle/Gilmore/Williams if any of them can actually play an entire season.
    I believe Pitta won't be a Raven in 2017. Aside from the TEs you posted, remember Ozzie signed Watson (on IR) so he wasn't satisfied with the position from the start of 2016. Hopefully, although I'm not yet convinced, Waller may be added to the mix too... Bc