Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Priest Holmes retires.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Are you kidding me???? Rhett played two years and doesnt even come close to Byners of Holmes.

Byner set the standard for Ravens RB's and Holmes has better stats than Byner. If Byner is in with his stats and accolades, then Byner with the better stats and work for the Baltimore community deserves it was well.
    Actually, I was kidding you about Rhett.

Priest Holmes, while a great player and a class person off the field, didn't amass the stats/years that would warrant the ROH. And I do really like Priest too, he was one of my favorite Ravens while here and I continued to follow his progress once he left for KC.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

We've had exactly one RB better than Holmes and Byner .... his name is Jamal Lewis and he deserves it as well. And your "20 minute" statement is a non sequitur, having no facts behind it. We havnt had an offense good enough to meet your standard! We set the RB standard with Byner, someone with very respectable stats and did a lot of volunteer work outside of football.
    Being the second best back a team has had in 12 years is NOT a high recommendation, and it seems it is your whole case.

Not to mention his foundation that was a God send for inner-city kids who wanted to play football.
    That's nice, and if he had some nice stats to go with it I would be right there with you.

ROH for Holmes is a no-brainer.
    Makes sense, since I have a brain I am not agreeing. If I was "blessed" like you I guess I would get your point.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven
    Are you kidding me???? Rhett played two years and doesnt even come close to Byners of Holmes.
    Once again, if you are being sarcastic about Byner, you're not doing a very good job of conveying it. You need to work on your sarcasm.

But if you actually really think Byner belongs in the Ring, you would be the first Ravens fan I've run across who thought that.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Byner is up there because he is a friend of Modell and Modell thought he deserved it for his time with the franchise (including front office time), which was spent almost exclusively in C-choke in regard to playing. The guy bounced out of here as soon as Snyder offered him a gig dusting the offices down in Dead$kin$ land. Frankly, when he did that we should have yanked it down. I would stick his name on the lower ring at the end and accidentally hang a Budweiser banner over it.

HW and Greg,

My point was if Byner was up there so should Holmes. I clearly see Im in the minority.

Greg -- being a smartass is not your forte. I was not questioning if you had brains or not -- relax! :)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven
    My point was if Byner was up there so should Holmes. I clearly see Im in the minority.
    I understand your logic, but our point is that Byner shouldn't be in the Ring in the first place. He should be regarded as an outlier, a political entry that had little to do with what he did for the Ravens. By your logic, Eric Rhett really should be in, because he did more on the field for the Ravens than Byner did.

Houston, everyone sees your point. It's just that your point - "If X is up there, Y should be too" - is stupid. Nobody accepts that, and if people did, every mediocre starter who ever wore purple and black would be up there.

That's not how the ROH, or indeed any HOF, should work.

Also I find Greg to be an outstanding smartass, and normally his posts are pretty well researched, too.

You are a decent smartass, to your credit you are coming along. You could do with more fact-checking, but you're getting there. ;)
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.