Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: OT. Health Nuts/Workout thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    yup calorie deficit that's how i jumpstarted my metabolism by intermittent fasting along with fasted cardio.
    Fasting is terrible for weight loss because it slows the metabolism. All you're doing is depleting your body of water reserves. You 'lose weight' but the 3-4 days of water consumption, you're right back to where you were before the fast.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Fasting is terrible for weight loss because it slows the metabolism. All you're doing is depleting your body of water reserves. You 'lose weight' but the 3-4 days of water consumption, you're right back to where you were before the fast.
    it depends; for me that's what worked I haven't depleted anything i eat a really good dinner, i haven't lost any gains my bench max 345lbs is the still the same as it was when I was bulking. Now since losing more weight I don't rep out 315lbs for 5-6 reps anymore but that was expected I still get it for 4 reps now, I still squat up to 315lbs and leg press up to 600lbs, I military dumbbell press up to 100lbs I'm making all kinds of gains. Everyone's body is different what works for me may not work for the next person. But I wouldn't say it depletes anything it's not fasting for a whole day it's just a few hrs out the day.

I see now (maybe it's not a new thing) but people are drinking at least a gallon of water a day and still gaining muscle while losing fat. They say you will fill bloated at first but to trust them after the initial 20-30 days of doing it, you will get major results. I haven't read up on any of it, but from the few people I know that are personally doing it, it seems to be working. I don't know what their workout or cardio regimen is though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    I see now (maybe it's not a new thing) but people are drinking at least a gallon of water a day and still gaining muscle while losing fat. They say you will fill bloated at first but to trust them after the initial 20-30 days of doing it, you will get major results. I haven't read up on any of it, but from the few people I know that are personally doing it, it seems to be working. I don't know what their workout or cardio regimen is though.
    water is always good you can't drink enough of it, i hate it personally but i drink the usual amount one is suppose to drink daily. If you decide to take creatine make sure you drink a gallon a day. Creatine only works with water it pushes water to your muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    water is always good you can't drink enough of it, i hate it personally but i drink the usual amount one is suppose to drink daily. If you decide to take creatine make sure you drink a gallon a day. Creatine only works with water it pushes water to your muscles.
    Man, I can drink water, but I dunno about a gallon a day. lol Guess I will just have to get me a gallon jug and go for it. Any particular brand of creatine that will work better than others that I should look out for?

You actually can drink too much water. Water toxicity is a very real thing. About 3 liters a day is all anyone will ever need, even endurance athletes.

Use your pee as your gauge. If it's clear, you have enough water in your body.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    So Since December 2015 I've lost about 43 pounds.

I started lifting weights for a couple months. Lost about 6-7 pounds. Then in February switched to just straight kickboxing and MMA. I lost the rest during Februrary-October.

All of my fat came out of everywhere except my stomach and my chest (Good ole man titties).

What I learned? Cardio will not get rid of the body fat.

I'm back on straight weight lifting and I do cardio twice a week. Since October I haven't lost any wight becuase I put muscle on, BUT I've lost both waist and stomach/chest size (I do monthly measurement).

My advice? Find a really good cardio AND weightlifting regime and go HARD.

However, if you were like me (I was 5'9 215) then I would go strictly cardio to lose the base and then switch to a power lifting program with some cardio.

Diet is everything though man. You can workout twice a day everyday but you gotta eat right. I swtich to low carb, high fat and protein and it was the difference maker. But diet works different for everyone. I can fill you in on a dailykinda meal plan I used if you're interested.
    Awesome story on your path so far!! Great job on the weight loss! I would love to get a daily meal plan idea. Other than eating lean meats and the good veggies (no white potatoes or other starches) I dunno where to start.

Blog Entries

Burn more calories than you take in = Losing Weight

Create a large calorie deficit by eating right and accelerating your heart rate for a sustained period a few times a week and the pounds will melt away.

There's no huge secret to it, special plan, fad diet, etc that replaces this one lone immutable fact about weight loss.
    YES! For many years I used this simple technique and was in really good shape into my 60's. I seriously had "six pack abs" and could run like the wind. I always was short (5' 5" 150 lbs) but muscular. Now it's some years later, and those abs have become a case (more or less). I'd say I'm in good shape for my age, but I am still not satisfied. My illness in Autumn 2015 has prevented me from doing a full range of exercises. I hope you young guys are working diligently because you do not want to go into old age fat with aches and pains... Bc
    P.S. - when I was working (in lower Manhattan) I used to walk 2 miles a day, along the Hudson river, on my lunch hour. 1982 through 2007, except right after 9/11 :(

IF isn't a full out fast. You compress your meal window to say... 8 hours of the day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You actually can drink too much water. Water toxicity is a very real thing. About 3 liters a day is all anyone will ever need, even endurance athletes.

Use your pee as your gauge. If it's clear, you have enough water in your body.
    See, that 's what has me concerned on them saying at least a gallon a day. I've always been told the body needs 64oz a day and here they are saying to drink at least 128. I've heard and read so many contradictory things that I have no clue what is right or wrong, or where to start. That covers workouts, meals, do cardio to don't do cardio, you name it. I've read things both for and against it all that it's all confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    IF isn't a full out fast. You compress your meal window to say... 8 hours of the day.

That's called not snacking.

Fasting is sustained periods of not eating.

Fighters and wrestlers do it all the time to make weight and the second they sit down for a meal or have some water, they blow back up above weight.

If you want short term results at the sake of your health (because its not natural to not eat), yes, fasting will cause you to lose weight. But then again, so does heroin.

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    See, that 's what has me concerned on them saying at least a gallon a day. I've always been told the body needs 64oz a day and here they are saying to drink at least 128. I've heard and read so many contradictory things that I have no clue what is right or wrong, or where to start. That covers workouts, meals, do cardio to don't do cardio, you name it. I've read things both for and against it all that it's all confusing.
    A lot of your daily water will come from food as you switch to vegetables and fruit also. Don't have to drink it all.

As for carbs, 50-100g a day works pretty well for me when I'm trying to lose weight. If you're on typical American diet, that will be a pretty big reduction,but it still provides room for starchier vegetables or beer. Also don't have to be super focused on lean meat either. The body does need saturated fat, so steak and less lean parts of poultry can definitely live in a healthy diet.