Page 1 of 29 123 ... LastLast

OT. Health Nuts/Workout thread

I know this is off topic, and belongs elsewhere, but if I posted it on the Other forums, it wouldn't get seen, and I apologize for slapping it up here on the main, but I'm going straight to the top with it. :P

I know awhile back there was some talk on a thread that was in here on the main about starting a Health/Fitness thread/forum on here. There were several of us talking about it, but nothing ever came from it other that that few pages. I know there's a bit of interest on here from several different posters on this topic and would like to see it happen, but don't really know where to start it and what not.

The main premise would be workouts, diet and nutrition, and moral support. A lot of posters on here enjoy going to the gym and working out, and I know I Touchdown There is rather big on the Nutritional side :) so with our powers combined (Not calling on Captain Planet here) I say we get the ball rolling on this and make it happen.

There are some of us on here, or maybe just ME, that has pretty much nothing to bring to the table as far as experience and know how, that could benefit from a topical discussion place on the subject. I'm not a fat slob (nothing wrong with that if that's how you choose to live, so be it) but I can use some help and support just like the next guy can on bulking up, losing weight and building a healthier me, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in here. :)

So, is there any way we can get this thing started? I know it will all depend on those of us who choose to take part in it to keep it going, but would it honestly be something that you guys and gals would want to do and participate in? Like, Legit?

Like saying says, "Iron sharpens Iron". Let's help each other (those of us that choose to participate in this) build better us'es. :P

Seriously thought, does this have any legs to stand on around here or did I just waste a little bit of our time in asking?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and consider it. :)

Blog Entries

Re: OT. Health Nuts/Workout thread

alright alright alright, been waiting for this thread for a while WWWWOOOOO!!!

Here's a little bit about my journey

So I was always the jock naturally because I was bigger than everyone in weight and height growing up. As a kid I struggled with my weight and I don't know why because I was always active. I was in pretty good shape in HS because of football and college as well but when I hurt my knee the 2nd time, my weight got out of control. In High school I walked around at 5'12 6'ish 235lbs (like a freakin Samoan) and college I was around 6'-6'1 250lbs Defensive end. After my second knee injury I quit ball, working out all that and ballooned up to 280lbs at 6'2 and boy did I look every bit of 280. Over my adult years I have dropped and gained weight, didn't' workout much, ate like shit.

In 2013 I decided to take control of my health and boy it has been a journey a long struggle in finding what works and what don't. I didn't get any of my mother's side of family genetics in terms of natural physique and my metabolism is already slow, so I feel like i have to work twice as hard than most folks. But Iron sharpens iron, and my love for the gym didn't really come from me wanting better health at the time but more so my divorce; I needed something to take my mind off things and not fall into depression.

Let me tell anyone out there who is working out like a mad person and haven't seen results don't discouraged trust me on this often times our body is on the cusp of a break through keep going. Now at 33yrs old this is best shape I ever been in my life, I walk around now at 220-222lbs lean and shit. I still enjoy food because I love food, still a fat kid at heart but everything in moderation.

What has worked for me in terms of keeping my metabolism up outside of the weight training, I cardio everyday at least 30mins a day. I do fasted cardio and I also intermittent fast through out the day. This was how I figured out to jump start my metabolism and keep it going.

Smoove, man, I'm just the opposite. I was the little scrwawny kid that got picked on by all the jocks in highschool. I made the football team, because everyone that tried out for it, automatically made it. lol I was active and pencil thin in high school due to football and basketball (which only 15 tryouts made the team, and I did...but I think it's cause my mom was on the athletic council and pulled some strings :p ) Anywho, as I said in the introduction thread on here, in 1996 I got hit by a car and it crushed my left foot and tore ligaments in my right knee. Doctors told me I'd never play any sports again, not that I was playing in going into college, but they meant extra curricular, just for fun as well. Physical Therapy and rehab was fun for me, but I never did anything outside of getting myself back up and walking again. Sooooo, of course I became all lazy from that and gained a damn spare tire bulge, which I sill carry for the most part now. Damn you Snickers and Dr. Pepper for beating my will power at times!!

Anywho, shoot forward to 2008 where a co-worker here at my job wanted to get himself into shape, and I joined in just to shed some lbs. We did some running and jogging and what not for cardio, and went in together to purchase some free weights (we still got em hidden at work to this day upstairs lol) and he ended up losing a shit ton of weight which was his goal. I on the other hand, gained what they call "exercise induced asthma"! I'm assuming it was from all those years of doing nothing after getting hit by the car to going out and actually doing something. IDK...that medical terminology seems weird to me. Anywho, after some trial and error from doctors, I pretty much have that under control these days. My only other set back in trying to work out and lift is my right shoulder, which my brother in law dislocated years ago while we were wrestling around in his living room after a night of drinking. Yeah, he won. lol Me being stubborn and not liking the weak ass therapy sessions I was doing to rehab my shoulder, I took it apon myself to just rehab the shit at home on my own, I can move it normally now, but it still locks up from time to time when raising it above my head. SMH..dumb decision on my part!

Let's fast forward to now. I have always wanted to be in shape and be "buff" or "cut" and see my abs, just been too damn lazy to do anything about it, aside from reasons (excuses) mentioned above. BUT, I have came to a point in my 36 years of life where I 100% want to give it a go and better myself. If I never see my abs, so be it, but damn it I'm gonna try. That's where I need support and some do's and don'ts and all that in between. I have basic knowledge of weights, muscles groups, different exercises and what machines do what. I need the most help on the nutritional side of it. I know the common sense stuff like don't stuff your face with greasy burgers and fries and pizza at every single meal. I know if I want to lose the "Belly fat" I have to eat lean meats, some fruits and veggies, and pretty much no bread what so ever. The heaviest I've ever been (at 6' 1") was 219. I changed my diet for awhile and got down to 189 but was still just a bean pole with not much muscle (arms aren't noodles though) but I have since gone back up to right at 200. I'm not completely "out of shape" but the "belly fat' is still looming large and I want it gone.

I have no clue how to post pics in here, but here is a link to the body type that I would like to shoot towards getting. I know not everyone's body looks the same, even when being fit, but if I can get close to this, I'd be happy. That is my goal.

https://cdn.muscleandstrength.com/si...s/fit-male.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Smoove, man, I'm just the opposite. I was the little scrwawny kid that got picked on by all the jocks in highschool. I made the football team, because everyone that tried out for it, automatically made it. lol I was active and pencil thin in high school due to football and basketball (which only 15 tryouts made the team, and I did...but I think it's cause my mom was on the athletic council and pulled some strings :p ) Anywho, as I said in the introduction thread on here, in 1996 I got hit by a car and it crushed my left foot and tore ligaments in my right knee. Doctors told me I'd never play any sports again, not that I was playing in going into college, but they meant extra curricular, just for fun as well. Physical Therapy and rehab was fun for me, but I never did anything outside of getting myself back up and walking again. Sooooo, of course I became all lazy from that and gained a damn spare tire bulge, which I sill carry for the most part now. Damn you Snickers and Dr. Pepper for beating my will power at times!!

Anywho, shoot forward to 2008 where a co-worker here at my job wanted to get himself into shape, and I joined in just to shed some lbs. We did some running and jogging and what not for cardio, and went in together to purchase some free weights (we still got em hidden at work to this day upstairs lol) and he ended up losing a shit ton of weight which was his goal. I on the other hand, gained what they call "exercise induced asthma"! I'm assuming it was from all those years of doing nothing after getting hit by the car to going out and actually doing something. IDK...that medical terminology seems weird to me. Anywho, after some trial and error from doctors, I pretty much have that under control these days. My only other set back in trying to work out and lift is my right shoulder, which my brother in law dislocated years ago while we were wrestling around in his living room after a night of drinking. Yeah, he won. lol Me being stubborn and not liking the weak ass therapy sessions I was doing to rehab my shoulder, I took it apon myself to just rehab the shit at home on my own, I can move it normally now, but it still locks up from time to time when raising it above my head. SMH..dumb decision on my part!

Let's fast forward to now. I have always wanted to be in shape and be "buff" or "cut" and see my abs, just been too damn lazy to do anything about it, aside from reasons (excuses) mentioned above. BUT, I have came to a point in my 36 years of life where I 100% want to give it a go and better myself. If I never see my abs, so be it, but damn it I'm gonna try. That's where I need support and some do's and don'ts and all that in between. I have basic knowledge of weights, muscles groups, different exercises and what machines do what. I need the most help on the nutritional side of it. I know the common sense stuff like don't stuff your face with greasy burgers and fries and pizza at every single meal. I know if I want to lose the "Belly fat" I have to eat lean meats, some fruits and veggies, and pretty much no bread what so ever. The heaviest I've ever been (at 6' 1") was 219. I changed my diet for awhile and got down to 189 but was still just a bean pole with not much muscle (arms aren't noodles though) but I have since gone back up to right at 200. I'm not completely "out of shape" but the "belly fat' is still looming large and I want it gone.

I have no clue how to post pics in here, but here is a link to the body type that I would like to shoot towards getting. I know not everyone's body looks the same, even when being fit, but if I can get close to this, I'd be happy. That is my goal.

https://cdn.muscleandstrength.com/si...s/fit-male.jpg
    brother you keep up the good fight, i never had abs even now at the weight I am i am barely showing 4 pack lol and i put in some serious time in the gym along with good eating habits and intermittent fasting. So you keep pushing, don't stop I know the struggle all too well about weight loss or not losing weight. It gets frustrating. For a while there I went on almost whole year working out like a warrior and never lost a pound, I gained some good mass but my body wouldn't fire like it should. So it took a lot of trials and errors to find a perfect combination that finally worked. Some days I wanted to give up then I heard that little voice in the back of head talking to me. On those days when that happens it's the best workout of my life because I tend to push myself further because of the doubt. So whatever you do don't give up bro.

The beauty about your fitness journey is just that, it's your journey, to own to conquer. You can do whatever you want to do and however, there is no thing set in stone to guarantee success because everyone's body is different. What work for pros sometimes won't work for you so it's all about experimenting until you find what works and that's the fun part.

nutrition is my weakness I am fairly disciplined through out the week...come the WEEKEND??? LOL smh

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    brother you keep up the good fight, i never had abs even now at the weight I am i am barely showing 4 pack lol and i put in some serious time in the gym along with good eating habits and intermittent fasting. So you keep pushing, don't stop I know the struggle all too well about weight loss or not losing weight. It gets frustrating. For a while there I went on almost whole year working out like a warrior and never lost a pound, I gained some good mass but my body wouldn't fire like it should. So it took a lot of trials and errors to find a perfect combination that finally worked. Some days I wanted to give up then I heard that little voice in the back of head talking to me. On those days when that happens it's the best workout of my life because I tend to push myself further because of the doubt. So whatever you do don't give up bro.

The beauty about your fitness journey is just that, it's your journey, to own to conquer. You can do whatever you want to do and however, there is no thing set in stone to guarantee success because everyone's body is different. What work for pros sometimes won't work for you so it's all about experimenting until you find what works and that's the fun part.

nutrition is my weakness I am fairly disciplined through out the week...come the WEEKEND??? LOL smh
    Thanks man! The way I'm looking at it is, even if I don't get the results I desire, I'm still better off in the end due to trying. :)

I feel ya on the weekends killing any diet attemps. Sundays are my worst day because I eat at my parent's house that day. lol I live in the South, and each meal has a meat that's fried. lol I can change my ways, but there aint no changing my mom's cooking. :) I'm not even gonna try to change that.

I guess a starter question I have is...

Would it be better for me to do more cardio in the beginning to help lose the belly fat, then try to bulk up to get to where I want to be, or should I try to bulk first, then cut to get there? I know pretty much where I want to get to, I just don't know the road to take to get there.

Blog Entries

oh and when in doubt google some shit lol..I have watched guys from CT fletcher to Mike Rashid those guys are more for weight training and different things I can incorporate in my routine. I came across the hodgetwins a while back and they were the ones that tipped me on the intermittent fasting they are more comedians but they also workout warriors who are not pumped full of crap so they do give some good advice on the fitness stuff...well the old hodgetwins did, now they are more stand up comedians than health guys but their segments on youtube are funny.

Would it be better for me to do more cardio in the beginning to help lose the belly fat, then try to bulk up to get to where I want to be, or should I try to bulk first, then cut to get there? I know pretty much where I want to get to, I just don't know the road to take to get there.
    So Since December 2015 I've lost about 43 pounds.

I started lifting weights for a couple months. Lost about 6-7 pounds. Then in February switched to just straight kickboxing and MMA. I lost the rest during Februrary-October.

All of my fat came out of everywhere except my stomach and my chest (Good ole man titties).

What I learned? Cardio will not get rid of the body fat.

I'm back on straight weight lifting and I do cardio twice a week. Since October I haven't lost any wight becuase I put muscle on, BUT I've lost both waist and stomach/chest size (I do monthly measurement).

My advice? Find a really good cardio AND weightlifting regime and go HARD.

However, if you were like me (I was 5'9 215) then I would go strictly cardio to lose the base and then switch to a power lifting program with some cardio.

Diet is everything though man. You can workout twice a day everyday but you gotta eat right. I swtich to low carb, high fat and protein and it was the difference maker. But diet works different for everyone. I can fill you in on a dailykinda meal plan I used if you're interested.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Burn more calories than you take in = Losing Weight

Create a large calorie deficit by eating right and accelerating your heart rate for a sustained period a few times a week and the pounds will melt away.

There's no huge secret to it, special plan, fad diet, etc that replaces this one lone immutable fact about weight loss.

Blog Entries

What I did was bulked first, i got some good creatine try to stick with mono creatines they are easier to absorb and I tell you what creatine and lifting will make you look like you are on steroids but you will have some water retention that's the only thing i hated but man it made me look freaking huge lol. Normal folks won't be able to tell but a real gym rat can. Once you bulk you wanna be on creatine for about 3mos then cycle off it. When you start to cycle off do more cardio and more repetition training, less weight more reps. I also have stubborn lower belly fat even now still i have a little i just can't seem to get rid of but what helped me with that was the intermittent fasting and fasted cardio.

With us men we store fat in our lower back and midsection while women store it in their thighs and butt. The body will burn all the easy fat first before the hard fat. Belly fat is the hardest because of low blood flow to the area and also low T production, not enough to make everything stop but enough to make your body work against you. So try this trick Nick when you start to cut, get some saran wrap before you hit the gym and wrap your midsection, not too tight but pretty snug, do your cardio and your workout and if your gym has a sauna sit in there afterwards. If you can do two a days at the gym do so for a while until your metabolism jump starts (and you will know), you will be burning calories all day even when you are sleep.

keep track of weight too every day it can give you tips to see if something is working or not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    So Since December 2015 I've lost about 43 pounds.

I started lifting weights for a couple months. Lost about 6-7 pounds. Then in February switched to just straight kickboxing and MMA. I lost the rest during Februrary-October.

All of my fat came out of everywhere except my stomach and my chest (Good ole man titties).

What I learned? Cardio will not get rid of the body fat.

I'm back on straight weight lifting and I do cardio twice a week. Since October I haven't lost any wight becuase I put muscle on, BUT I've lost both waist and stomach/chest size (I do monthly measurement).

My advice? Find a really good cardio AND weightlifting regime and go HARD.

However, if you were like me (I was 5'9 215) then I would go strictly cardio to lose the base and then switch to a power lifting program with some cardio.

Diet is everything though man. You can workout twice a day everyday but you gotta eat right. I swtich to low carb, high fat and protein and it was the difference maker. But diet works different for everyone. I can fill you in on a dailykinda meal plan I used if you're interested.
    boxing ain't no joke! I recently picked it up...bro that shit is a workout

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Burn more calories than you take in = Losing Weight

Create a large calorie deficit by eating right and accelerating your heart rate for a sustained period a few times a week and the pounds will melt away.

There's no huge secret to it, special plan, fad diet, etc that replaces this one lone immutable fact about weight loss.
    yup calorie deficit that's how i jumpstarted my metabolism by intermittent fasting along with fasted cardio.