Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    GOOD FOR YOU!

I've been going back and forth over what to get. I was thinking the $140 hitachi 10 inch compound because it's so cheap and then getting a 12 inch for working with 2x12s, posts etc. The Dewalt DW716 double bevel with the XPS light system was next. The XPS system is supposed to work great and be far superior to lasers. Last night I was leaning towards the 10 inch Dewalt slider myself.

I was going to jump on and warn you about the Makita. That saw looks like it is not up to their standards. All these big brands do this now. They offer "light" versions of their tools, especially the cordless stuff, for the harry homeowner. It's a market share thing. Build something cheap with you name to get people using your batteries and system etc...

I don't want to get a 12 inch slider, too big. I don't want to get a 12 inch non slider for similar reasons. A 10 inch slider seems like a good compromise between size and cutting capacity. The manufacturers know this and the 10 inch sliders are often the most expensive mitre saws they sell.

I am probably going to do the same btw. That way you get the accuracy of the smaller blade, it's interchangeable with your table saw blades, but you get the cutting capacity.

This makes me feel good about my swing last night towards getting the same saw.

You can't go wrong with dewalt.
    Yea man, I went back and forth for a long time. I initially wanted the Rigid 10" sliding miter. It's a good saw. A friend has one and it really is great for under $400. The local Home Depot in Frederick only had the 12" slider and it was the same price (holiday special, $349) as the 10" slider by Rigid. I would have had to order the 10" though.

I researched Kobalt (Lowes brand) and it's an ok saw. I follow a few woodworking forums and they've all had decent things to say about it.

Makita apparently is hit or miss. I have a 10" Makita chop saw right now (single bevel) and it's ok. I've never felt that it was under powered, but it is an older one.

Craftsman sliders look real nice, but there are a lot of plastic parts on the actual saw base. I didn't care for that at all.

Hitachi makes nice stuff. I have a corded hammer drill and the Hitachi M12VC router. They're both awesome tools. I use the router on my router table.

Milwaukee and Bosch are, IMO, top of the line when it comes to most power tools.

Festool...man they're real nice, but good Lord...SO expensive. $1,300 for the miter saw.

Eventually I just settled on the DeWalt. I have a lot of other DeWalt tools. I've always seen contractors with DeWalt. They've been around forever and every guy I know that has a DeWalt Power tool has been satisfied with it. I love their drills.

Just so happens that I found the one on Amazon for the price point I was looking for. According to reviews, the 10" DeWalt slider can cut 12" boards at 90 degrees easily. I sincerely doubt I'll be cutting wider planks than that and if I am, I'll do it on my table saw.

Anyway...that was my rationale behind it. I'm pretty excited. Looking forward to getting it and building my miter saw station with dust cowl intake.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea man, I went back and forth for a long time. I initially wanted the Rigid 10" sliding miter. It's a good saw. A friend has one and it really is great for under $400. The local Home Depot in Frederick only had the 12" slider and it was the same price (holiday special, $349) as the 10" slider by Rigid. I would have had to order the 10" though.

I researched Kobalt (Lowes brand) and it's an ok saw. I follow a few woodworking forums and they've all had decent things to say about it.

Makita apparently is hit or miss. I have a 10" Makita chop saw right now (single bevel) and it's ok. I've never felt that it was under powered, but it is an older one.

Craftsman sliders look real nice, but there are a lot of plastic parts on the actual saw base. I didn't care for that at all.

Hitachi makes nice stuff. I have a corded hammer drill and the Hitachi M12VC router. They're both awesome tools. I use the router on my router table.

Milwaukee and Bosch are, IMO, top of the line when it comes to most power tools.

Festool...man they're real nice, but good Lord...SO expensive. $1,300 for the miter saw.

Eventually I just settled on the DeWalt. I have a lot of other DeWalt tools. I've always seen contractors with DeWalt. They've been around forever and every guy I know that has a DeWalt Power tool has been satisfied with it. I love their drills.

Just so happens that I found the one on Amazon for the price point I was looking for. According to reviews, the 10" DeWalt slider can cut 12" boards at 90 degrees easily. I sincerely doubt I'll be cutting wider planks than that and if I am, I'll do it on my table saw.

Anyway...that was my rationale behind it. I'm pretty excited. Looking forward to getting it and building my miter saw station with dust cowl intake.

Dude, I just saw this today and still can't believe what a great deal it is.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-10-i...15C=1024204650

Lowes has the DW717 for $349 right now.

Blog Entries

Dude, I just saw this today and still can't believe what a great deal it is.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-10-i...15C=1024204650

Lowes has the DW717 for $349 right now.
    Wow, wish I had known that earlier this week. I got mine from Amazon for $389, so I'm not too upset about $40.

That's a great deal man. If you hadn't picked one up yet, you should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, wish I had known that earlier this week. I got mine from Amazon for $389, so I'm not too upset about $40.

That's a great deal man. If you hadn't picked one up yet, you should.

389? That's a great price as well. I was seeing this saw at homedepot and most other places for 499. I am wondering if there is an accessory that is not included at the deep discount sites. There is an XPS light system for the DW716 that makes the saw about 50 dollars more expensive. The the DW716 is the 12 inch dual bevel saw. the DW716XPS comes with this system which is supposedly superior to lasers because it never needs calibrating. Anyway, yeah, great price. I'm going to make home depot match the price. I also bought that delta saw stand from them and am going to tell them that if they don't match the price I found for that I will return it. That will save me about 170 dollars.

389? That's a great price as well. I was seeing this saw at homedepot and most other places for 499. I am wondering if there is an accessory that is not included at the deep discount sites. There is an XPS light system for the DW716 that makes the saw about 50 dollars more expensive. The the DW716 is the 12 inch dual bevel saw. the DW716XPS comes with this system which is supposedly superior to lasers because it never needs calibrating. Anyway, yeah, great price. I'm going to make home depot match the price. I also bought that delta saw stand from them and am going to tell them that if they don't match the price I found for that I will return it. That will save me about 170 dollars.
    Took my Lowes printout to Home Depot today and they matched the price. I have a new DW717 on the way to my house right now. I'm psyched. I have used a crappy Ryobi Chop Saw (not even compound) for the last 15 years. My brother in law bought it for me as a house warming. I have no idea why we didn't grab a compond that day. Maybe none in stock. Anyway I've had to borrow compound saws for baseboard jobs and crown molding.

I got the Delta stand too. I was really leaning toward the Dewalt Heavy duty portable stand but I wanted something where the saw was on wheels and I could fold it up in the corner of my garage when I was not using it. I'm 50, soon to be 51 and I'm done kneeling when it's not absolutely necessary. I'll send pics of my custom tool cabinet here soon. I'm still outfitting the doors with strip magnets from harbor freight and putting every tool imaginable on them. A friend built one and gave me the idea. It's nice having one place where anything you could need, chisels, files, screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, hacksaw, clamp, center punch etc. etc. is right there. I'm not a big peg board guy and this thing is lockable so I can secure everything if I want.

I'm excited to open the DW717 box and smell the saw when I get it. I love new tool smell!!!

Blog Entries

Took my Lowes printout to Home Depot today and they matched the price. I have a new DW717 on the way to my house right now. I'm psyched. I have used a crappy Ryobi Chop Saw (not even compound) for the last 15 years. My brother in law bought it for me as a house warming. I have no idea why we didn't grab a compond that day. Maybe none in stock. Anyway I've had to borrow compound saws for baseboard jobs and crown molding.

I got the Delta stand too. I was really leaning toward the Dewalt Heavy duty portable stand but I wanted something where the saw was on wheels and I could fold it up in the corner of my garage when I was not using it. I'm 50, soon to be 51 and I'm done kneeling when it's not absolutely necessary. I'll send pics of my custom tool cabinet here soon. I'm still outfitting the doors with strip magnets from harbor freight and putting every tool imaginable on them. A friend built one and gave me the idea. It's nice having one place where anything you could need, chisels, files, screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, hacksaw, clamp, center punch etc. etc. is right there. I'm not a big peg board guy and this thing is lockable so I can secure everything if I want.

I'm excited to open the DW717 box and smell the saw when I get it. I love new tool smell!!!
    Nice!

Glad you got what you wanted.

The cool think about the DW717 is you can add the laser sighting feature if you want to. I don't see a need for that, but it is good to have. One thing that separated DeWalt from some other miters was the base insert isn't cheapo plastic like a lot of them are. So, you don't have to worry about cutting smaller pieces and having them flex the insert.

...now to build my miter saw station...lol. My wife is going to kill me.

You get your saw yet? I want to build a new workbench that I can roll around. Some sort of mitire saw customization would be nice too but I think those tables are worthless are work benches if they are dedicated to being used for Mitre saws. I want something I can put a nice vice on and maybe a grinding wheel on one end.

Blog Entries

You get your saw yet? I want to build a new workbench that I can roll around. Some sort of mitire saw customization would be nice too but I think those tables are worthless are work benches if they are dedicated to being used for Mitre saws. I want something I can put a nice vice on and maybe a grinding wheel on one end.
    I have a fairly large 3' x 5' outfeed table for my table saw which is in the middle of my workshop. I also built a pretty standard workbench and I have been storing wood scraps underneath.

For the Miter saw, I was thinking about doing something similar to what Jay Bates built, but not as involved. I don't need all of the drawers that he made and frankly my shop isn't anywhere near as big as his (he's in a double garage).

Blog Entries

And yes, I did get my saw. Haven't gotten to use it yet though.

And yes, I did get my saw. Haven't gotten to use it yet though.

Beautiful. My saw came today too! Morons at the service desk at home depot were supposed to ship it to the store. Good thing I am working from home today or I would have had a 400 dollar saw sitting on my porch unattended for 3 hours.

The stand came about an hour later.

It's assembly time.

I see you have a new rigid shopvac in the background. I need a new one. When my wife and I got married that was one of the first gifts I got. The first one died after 5 years and I bought a second one that I have never been happy with. Damn thing has lasted 15 years though. LOUD as hell. Get's hot as hell to when it runs. I used it to close my pool by sucking all the water out of the skimmer before I put anti-freeze in the skimmer.

Tools are good!

Blog Entries

The Woodworking Thread

Beautiful. My saw came today too! Morons at the service desk at home depot were supposed to ship it to the store. Good thing I am working from home today or I would have had a 400 dollar saw sitting on my porch unattended for 3 hours.

The stand came about an hour later.

It's assembly time.

I see you have a new rigid shopvac in the background. I need a new one. When my wife and I got married that was one of the first gifts I got. The first one died after 5 years and I bought a second one that I have never been happy with. Damn thing has lasted 15 years though. LOUD as hell. Get's hot as hell to when it runs. I used it to close my pool by sucking all the water out of the skimmer before I put anti-freeze in the skimmer.

Tools are good!
    I have an older Rigid as well, but I wanted to get a new one for my dust collection cart

Stage 1:

Just a simple box with a hole cut out for the hose input. Sitting on 1.5" casters.

I have an older Rigid as well, but I wanted to get a new one for my dust collection cart

Stage 1:

Just a simple box with a hole cut out for the hose input. Sitting on 1.5" casters.

Nice, I don't know why I've never tried to do dust collection or paid that much attension to it. I always just assumed that with a Mitre saw the bag was worthless and sawdust was going to get everywhere no matter what you did. I think emptying the bag would help but I am going to get serious about it now. I want my garage staying nice. That looks like about all you would need.