Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 111213

Re: The Woodworking Thread

I use a 2x4 cause the wide bottom makes them pretty stable.
    Cut a 45 on each end 10" from short point to long point.
    you get 2 pieces out of one.
    Hole is 1 1/2"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreboy View Post
    I use a 2x4 cause the wide bottom makes them pretty stable.
    Cut a 45 on each end 10" from short point to long point.
    you get 2 pieces out of one.
    Hole is 1 1/2"

Nice. I’ll be sure to tinker with this.

Good Xmas gifts. Especially if you make them with some unique wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I just rebuilty about 160 linear foot of fence with a gate. I am going to span the top of the gate 6x6x10's with a trellis so they wont' sag towards one another. I am wondering what dimension would folks use to do the main rafters? I am thinking 2"x10"x12' rafters with a couple 2"x8"x10' boards to cut into the lattice on top of the rafters. So I am asking if people here think 2x10's for rafters and 2x8's for lattice are okay or if I should go with 2x8 rafters and 2x6 lattice? I am wondering if the the 2x10s is way overkill/too huge.

The Woodworking Thread

I just built 9 rafters for my above fence gate pergola. They are layed out and in position to fasten. They are notched to fit over the beams. Looks good.

I went to fasten the first one using 2 inch deck screws on a 45 from the side of a rafter to the top of the beam and it was a giant pain in the ass. Started twisting and pulling..ugh. Just a pain in the ass. I was wondering if anyone could give me an easier idea how to fasten the rafters to my beams?

Maybe galvanized finish nails? Drill pilot holes before using screws? I know I'll have to do a screw/nail from each side to make this work.

Last edited by BustOfPallas; 05-23-2020 at 03:58 PM.

5. Re: The Woodworking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I just built 9 rafters for my above fence gate pergola. They are layed out and in position to fasten. They are notched to fit over the beams. Looks good.

I went to fasten the first one using 2 inch deck screws on a 45 from the side of a rafter to the top of the beam and it was a giant pain in the ass. Started twisting and pulling..ugh. Just a pain in the ass. I was wondering if anyone could give me an easier idea how to fasten the rafters to my beams?

Maybe galvanized finish nails? Drill pilot holes before using screws? I know I'll have to do a screw/nail from each side to make this work.

Simpson makes a bunch of things you can use. I would check into what is commonly called "hurricane clips". They usually sell all that stuff at the big box stores. Typically, they are w/the joist hangers, etc. You may need a small box of joist hanger nails to install most of them.

https://www.strongtie.com

The method you are trying will probably work ok if you do drill some pilot holes, for sure. I'm not sure drilling at the angle you are whether 2" screws will be long enough, though. If they don't get a good bite, they will not help you much in the long run. I'd say at least a 2˝".
    Last edited by blueridgemtnman; 05-23-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks for the advice. I was going to do an update to say I used 2 clamps and a speed square and found that it wasn't that bad. I think for these little rafters the tie downs would be overkill. It would also be hard to fasten to the sides. I'd have to do that first.. You saved me a trip to home depot as well because I really don't have a lot of 2 inch screws left but I found a box of 2 1/2" ones so I used those.

7. Re: The Woodworking Thread

Thanks for the advice. I was going to do an update to say I used 2 clamps and a speed square and found that it wasn't that bad. I think for these little rafters the tie downs would be overkill. It would also be hard to fasten to the sides. I'd have to do that first.. You saved me a trip to home depot as well because I really don't have a lot of 2 inch screws left but I found a box of 2 1/2" ones so I used those.
    Yeah, I meant to say that it was a bit of overkill, but wanted you to know options, if you went that direction. Glad it all worked out for you, man. Looking really good, by the way.

Not sure if this or "honey-doo" is the best place but I want to build a pavilion by my pool on my hardscaped back patio.

A couple factors that raise the degree of difficulty...

The pavillion will be between my house, my pool and my pump equipment so I have to be careful about footings. I can't cut wires, return pipes, return pipes.

There are wires from my house to my pump I also must avoid.

I have to be careful because I kept a swayle in place when I had a guy put in my patio so water could make it's way to my back yard and not pool in my grass. If I build a rectangular pavillion I may have to deal with that as one corner might cut off the swayle I left in place for drainage....

Then figuring out footings, kit vs plans, raised floor vs keeping same patio (I want to raise it a foot or more).

I really want an outdoor kitchen and fireplace and am close to too old to build one.

What do you all think?

9. Re: The Woodworking Thread

Not sure if this or "honey-doo" is the best place but I want to build a pavilion by my pool on my hardscaped back patio.

The pavillion will be between my house, my pool and my pump equipment so I have to be careful about footings. I can't cut wires, return pipes, return pipes.

I have to be careful because I kept a swayle in place when I had a guy put in my patio so water could make it's way to my back yard and not pool in my grass. If I build a rectangular pavillion I may have to deal with that as one corner might cut off the swayle I left in place for drainage....

Then figuring out footings, kit vs plans, raised floor vs keeping same patio (I want to raise it a foot or more).

I really want an outdoor kitchen and fireplace and am close to too old to build one.

What do you all think?
    My advice would be to attempt to locate all the possible underground obstructions now. I wouldn't want to get a plan to build anything like that w/out that knowledge. Once located, then work off of that info. You also will have to decide that if something is indeed in the way, whether or not you could/would move it or find a safe way to work around it. Any Contractor will want to have all that info ahead of time before getting into a project, only to find it's not doable or hold up progress.

What do you all think?
    Depending on the size of pavilion you’re after ...you could build a two post cantilever style. That way you only need two footers instead of four , six ,etc. Not as easy to build but the 84 Lumber by where I live has plans for one of various sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk