Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Interesting Notes Fron WNST On Our OL

2nd rounders should be immediate starters or at least solid contributors from the start.
    That's pretty funny dude.

Second rounders CAN become starters or immediate contributers. So can undrafted free agents. "Should" is too strong a word. There are guys that are drafted with a lot of talent that still need work to become viable NFL starters. Matt Jones immediately comes to mind.

Most offensive linemen, in fact, are the same way. For instance, Ogden, who looked very average at best at OG his first season, and has since become one of the best LTs in the game. Most do not make good or even viable starters their first season in the NFL...FIRST rounders included, nevermind second.
    Jammal Brown
    Chris Snee
    Shawn Andrews
    Jordan Gross
    Levi Jones
    All big time OLs that off the top of my head didn't have terrific first years if they even were regular starters, all drafted in the first round or very top of the second round.

It's unrealistic to expect every second rounder to be able to produce immediately.

Tony Pashos- Both Aaron and Bruce mentioned that Peppers was a nonfactor this past Sunday.
    This is certifiably insane. Peppers was THE factor on Sunday.

Anyone else think he would've been available on the 2nd day? And if not, there were some other guys out there that could be starting for us now that we passed up.
    No, he wouldn't have been. And it's never a good idea to look back at the draft and say "who could we have had". We could have had Tom Brady in the fifth round a couple years ago. You or I could be the best drafting GMs in the NFL if only we knew then what we know now. And on top of all of it, you don't look just to draft whoever can start for you. You draft who you think will make the biggest impact for years down the line.

A second round pick should see the field, at least in rotation if nothing else.
    Rotating OL in and out doesn't happen. It's about like rotating QBs. You've never seen it effectively done, and probably never will.

I'm not saying our OL is great or anything. And I'm all for letting these guys hit the field and start playing for the future cause I feel like it can't get a whole lot worse with Flynn and Vincent. But the expectation that we've got massive failures just cause these guys aren't starts yet is just outside the realm of reality.

Does anyone here really think we'd be starting McNeil right now if we drafted him?

- C -

Considering McNeil was the offensive rookie of the month, then we really should have started him.

Given that Ozzie and Billick are total morons when it comes to the offensive line I doubt McNeil would see the field for the next five years because (insert royally stupid excuse here) I doubt we'd have played him.

Now McNeil should have been starting if he were here, but he wouldn't be.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

( I think it is too early to call Chester a bust)
    Well, no shit. Seeing as he's only 6 games into his pro career and has played briefly in one game.

As far as Adam Terry he does have to start getting mean on the field.
    I hear this all the time, but it's bullshit. What you are really saying is that he's unable to execute the plays that he's assigned. You can be a junkyard dog and it's not going to help your strength or your technique. If you mean that he appears to play like a golly-gee yuk yuk hayseed with no passion or motor, then I can understand that. And that may be part of the problem. But he's just not getting it done in his 1-on-1 matchups, and if you can't do that, you are useless.

My problem with the Ravens is that they seem to draft (no...they trade UP to draft) guys that "need a year in the weight room". If they can't find a guy in the 2nd round in the whole country that has the physical ability to step in and contribute at least sometime during his 1st season, then again, I call bullshit.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Marcus McNeil was picked after Chester.

"If they can't find a guy in the 2nd round in the whole country that has the physical ability to step in and contribute at least sometime during his 1st season, then again, I call bullshit."

And I call it right along with you. Every other freakin' team seems to be able to plug someone in their line that they draft for the line. Why can't we :bag:
    Screw 'em all

Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters

[/QUOTE] I hear this all the time, but it's bullshit. What you are really saying is that he's unable to execute the plays that he's assigned. You can be a junkyard dog and it's not going to help your strength or your technique. If you mean that he appears to play like a golly-gee yuk yuk hayseed with no passion or motor, then I can understand that. And that may be part of the problem. But he's just not getting it done in his 1-on-1 matchups, and if you can't do that, you are useless. [/QUOTE]

Remember that people used to say that Ogden lacked a mean streak.

Now about Terry. He's actually played well when he's had the chance. He slides his feet and can hit people in the open field. He's not nearly as good a run-blocker as Jon is, but not many people are. He's a wall off type guy and that's not really unusual for LTs.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Given that Ozzie and Billick are total morons when it comes to the offensive line ...
    Billick has nothing to do with the draft, but of course does with the starters.

Keep in mind that Ozzie is the guy that also picked up Ogden (when everyone in Baltimore b*tched about him not taking Lawrence Phillips), Mulitalo, Jeff Mitchell, Rabauch, and maybe some other OLs I'm forgetting that have turned into some pretty good linemen in this league. Ozzie isn't a guy who's draft & player evaluation prowess should be questioned anywhere except QB.

- C -

Darb . . . when you send your resume' into the front office let me know. I'll write a letter of recommendation . . .
    Screw 'em all

Mulitalo, Jeff Mitchell, Rabauch, and maybe some other OLs I'm forgetting

Swayne
    Vickers
    Fat Boy
    Screw 'em all

Quote Originally Posted by sandiegosean View Post
    Marcus McNeil was picked after Chester.

That was the guy I wanted with our second pick. I also hoped that we would trade up to get Winston Justice. (By the way, is Justice starting on their OL?) I don't remember seeing him in their starting OL, so we aren't the only ones that do not start rookie OLmen.

Yes either of those guys would have sat a year or two before starting because Billick does not start rookie OL. This is probably why they went with a guy such as Chris Chester. Ozzie and Billick do know what they are doing, and if you doubt that, check out their SB Ring and AFC North title.

In about two years when Brown and Chester are anchoring the OL for us, then some of you will be hailing Ozzie and Billick as king. Right now, they are "idiots" because the team is going through advertisy. It is the same thing from you guys.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I dont' think either men are idiots. I do however, have a problem with the offensive line that we have had to endure for the past five, six, seven freakin' years.

You can argue with me until you are blue in the face but I will never believe that this team (front office) has made an effort nor sees the need for upgrading the offensive line NOW. :bag:
    Screw 'em all

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I think it is too early to call Chester a bust
    I don't want to insult anybody but if somebody has called Chester a bust they're an idiot. This guy was a known project but after the draft during a DeCosta interview he said Ozzie got a BUNCH of calls from other GMs on the Chester saying it was a great pick.

As for Terry, the guy has played a very good LT when in. Brown can move to RG next year and maybe Chester can take the C position. Pashos is a decent RT, you can't have all studs. If we can upgrade for a reasonable cap number then fine, but G and C are where we are weak.

We need to get Chester in there at RG, if possible, once he has some decent technique down. Vincent may be bigger and stronger but with Chester I bet we could screen, trap and sweep more. I would trade that for experience. I can't believe he could be much worse than Vincent.