Page 104 of 123 FirstFirst ... 102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,237 to 1,248 of 1472

Re: Donald Trump's First 100 Days as President

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Things will go back to pre-Obamacare, which wasn't all that bad after all. Hopefully, it will pave the way to actual free market healthcare, something we have not tried since the inception of managed care.
    I agree. Many are ignoring the fact that Obamacare was on a death spiral. The majority of the health care providers have bailed. The media and democrats make out that everything was rosy with Obamacare. It's not, except for the ones receiving full subsidies. Republicans could just let it die on it's own but that is not what was promised and would screw way too many people out of healthcare. It's very disappointing to me that the republicans have not come to the table with a plan they all had agreed on first.

Blog Entries

Not sure why it matters who appointed the head of the CBO. The CBO, and every other agency in the federal government, are filled with workers who tend to lean left. Not sure that's even open for debate.

The CBO is notorious for adjusting their forecasts and predictions so even from an accuracy standpoint, I am not sure they can be used as the end all, be all.

That said, I am not saying they're right or wrong with these VERY preliminary numbers, just recognizing they do have a bias. Personally, I want a full repeal with zero replacement.
    Me too.

Free market.

Let insurance companies actually compete against each other for once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

RIP #25

Donald Trump's First 100 Days as President

You guys do realize that all insurance including health insurance is regulated at the state level. So, there have never been any Federal restrictions against selling insurance across state lines. A health insurance company just has to demonstrate that they have sufficient financial reserves to pay claims and have an adequate provider network in a given state to that state's insurance department and they will likely be allowed to sell health insurance in that state. This is a red herring.

Last edited by Dirt1; 03-15-2017 at 07:42 AM.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    You guys do realize that all insurance including health insurance is regulated at the state level. So, there have never been any Federal restrictions against selling insurance across state lines. A health insurance company just has to demonstrate that they have sufficient financial reserves to pay claims and have an adequate provider network in a given state to that state's insurance department and they will likely be allowed to sell health insurance in that state. This is a red herring.

This is the herring right here. Whether its a restriction to be sold state to state or not, state governments are still governments and preventing more of a free market approach. When I say free market, that doesn't mean no federal government but the states can do as they please.

Minus a few provisions I'd like to see codified -- preexisting condition protections being chief among them -- I want ALL government out of the health care business, state and federal. Obamacare and the dangers that the conservatives warned about within was proven to be all correct. It raised premiums, not lowered them. It limited the types of policies you can obtain, not expanded them.

And worst of all, it put the full force of the federal government upon the average citizen, forcing people to buy something under the threat of fines via the IRS. That insidious.

This is the herring right here. Whether its a restriction to be sold state to state or not, state governments are still governments and preventing more of a free market approach. When I say free market, that doesn't mean no federal government but the states can do as they please.

Minus a few provisions I'd like to see codified -- preexisting condition protections being chief among them -- I want ALL government out of the health care business, state and federal. Obamacare and the dangers that the conservatives warned about within was proven to be all correct. It raised premiums, not lowered them. It limited the types of policies you can obtain, not expanded them.

And worst of all, it put the full force of the federal government upon the average citizen, forcing people to buy something under the threat of fines via the IRS. That insidious.
    So you want to go back to the days where insurance could be denied to people with pre-existing conditions? If The Republicans adopt the policy positions you are supporting, that will guarantee a Democratic landslide in 2020 if not 2018.

Again, there is nothing stopping a health insurance company from selling insurance in multiple states right now, provided they can show that they have the ability to pay claims and that they have sufficient doctors and hospitals in their network in the states in which they wish to operate.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

So you want to go back to the days where insurance could be denied to people with pre-existing conditions? If The Republicans adopt the policy positions you are supporting, that will guarantee a Democratic landslide in 2020 if not 2018.

Again, there is nothing stopping a health insurance company from selling insurance in multiple states right now, provided they can show that they have the ability to pay claims and that they have sufficient doctors and hospitals in their network in the states in which they wish to operate.
    I am saying I want to PROTECT the preexisting conditions provisions by codifying them (read making the protections law) and then doing away with governments involvement in healthcare. I am for minimal government protections and that's it.

And again with the state to state stuff? I am not making any sort of argument about that and, frankly, could care less if insurance can be sold interstate or not. All insurance, from time and memorial, has been a states issue. I am aware of that and not making an argument for or against any of that.

I want ALL government out of healthcare, state and federal. Let the market do its magic with healthcare, not forced fed to us by the government.

I am saying I want to PROTECT the preexisting conditions provisions by codifying them (read making the protections law) and then doing away with governments involvement in healthcare. I am for minimal government protections and that's it.

And again with the state to state stuff? I am not making any sort of argument about that and, frankly, could care less if insurance can be sold interstate or not. All insurance, from time and memorial, has been a states issue. I am aware of that and not making an argument for or against any of that.

I want ALL government out of healthcare, state and federal. Let the market do its magic with healthcare, not forced fed to us by the government.
    The US spent over $3.2 trillion on health care in 2015. That is way too big a part of our economy to expect there to not be significant government regulation. I am not generally a fan of government involvement in almost any industry, and there are certainly areas of health care where having fewer regulations would be good, but there still needs to be oversight, because there are just too many places in health care where there can be foul play which will hurt patients.

The reason I brought up the selling of insurance across state lines was because that point has been used as an example of how to increase market competition in order to bring down premiums. I am just saying that argument is not valid.

There is no federal restriction. However that is because a federal law gave the states exclusive control over regulation in their borders.

The US spent over $3.2 trillion on health care in 2015. That is way too big a part of our economy to expect there to not be significant government regulation. I am not generally a fan of government involvement in almost any industry, and there are certainly areas of health care where having fewer regulations would be good, but there still needs to be oversight, because there are just too many places in health care where there can be foul play which will hurt patients.

The reason I brought up the selling of insurance across state lines was because that point has been used as an example of how to increase market competition in order to bring down premiums. I am just saying that argument is not valid.
    And yet history has shown time and time again that when government, state or federal, sicks their nose in private enterprise, costs go up and the middle class gets ass raped.

I don't care if it's $3 or $3 trillion, eliminate government oversight and costs will plummet and competition will bring about many defacto regulations. Now I am not suggesting total free reign either. Put laws in place that protect the consumer / patient, namely protect those with preexisting conditions, and then get out of the way.

And never mind the fact that people are being forced to pay for something or else be fined. That's just flat out wrong on so many levels.

Just recapping "Wiregate" ...

Since the Tweet, the respective intelligence committees in both houses of congress cannot find a sliver of evidence that Trump was wiretapped, surveilled, etc. Speaker Ryan himself made the declaration on the House side. The deadline for the White House to turn over any evidence they had has come and gone and the only thing they've issued thus far is an apology to the British government for suggesting they acted as a surrogate for the CIA.

But hey, I guess we can keep reading that NYT article that says something it doesn't.

How many allies can the Trump administration manage to offend? I'm guessing all of them.

And never mind the fact that people are being forced to pay for something or else be fined. That's just flat out wrong on so many levels.
    What are your feelings regarding auto insurance? The government makes you buy it and fines you something like $175/day if you don't buy it.

Also, why wouldn't people who don't buy health insurance be considered freeloaders if they then show up at an emergency room when they get sick, and the hospital has to eat the cost of their care?