Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    OT: Can we get this forum up and running?



    I'm TIRED of the politics board over on YBR. It gets plenty of traffic, but the idiots over there (Rhoid, Champ, B4P, Suisse, WM's various identities) have RUINED any logical discussion.

    It'd be great to have discussions here that discuss issues and ideas, rather than blindly towing the party line and crucifying certain individuals. It just gets to be redundant. Generalizing the actions of a few individuals to an entire party just doesn't do it for me. I guess it's how some people get their kicks. It's much more gratifying to have a debate on FACTS, IDEAS, PRINCIPLES, ISSUES, MORALITY--WHATEVER!!!

    This post may go unnoticed, but I'll be checking in on this forum a good bit. Hopefully some of us can get some more traffic coming through here.




  2. #2

    Re: OT: Can we get this forum up and running?

    I'm all for that.

    What's different here is that Politics at Insiders was categorized as a Rant Forum. Here: the no personal attacks rule will apply, so it will be interesting to see if that can be adhered to.

    Where Insiders went South was after it shifted from generally non-partison international affairs discussions in 2001-2003 to highly partisan 2004 elections discussion. It never recovered. I rarely sneak a peak there - hoping that DRay lays down some wood. I did find the several conspiracy theorists to be highly entertaining, however.

    Here are a few subjects that I would lke to kick around:

    - Shiite takeover of Iraqi town - precursor to US losing the war? Time to bail out and turn our energies toward Iran and N Korea?

    - The stadium bombing hoax: free speech, or should we send the culprit to Guantanamo?

    - Allow Japs to go nuke? Remember Pearl Harbor!






  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SW Florida (Venice area)
    Posts
    532

    Re: OT: Can we get this forum up and running?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I'm all for that.

    What's different here is that Politics at Insiders was categorized as a Rant Forum. Here: the no personal attacks rule will apply, so it will be interesting to see if that can be adhered to.

    Where Insiders went South was after it shifted from generally non-partison international affairs discussions in 2001-2003 to highly partisan 2004 elections discussion. It never recovered. I rarely sneak a peak there - hoping that DRay lays down some wood. I did find the several conspiracy theorists to be highly entertaining, however.

    Here are a few subjects that I would lke to kick around:

    - Shiite takeover of Iraqi town - precursor to US losing the war? Time to bail out and turn our energies toward Iran and N Korea?

    - The stadium bombing hoax: free speech, or should we send the culprit to Guantanamo?

    - Allow Japs to go nuke? Remember Pearl Harbor!




    I'll play. Iraq: That war was won long ago. Saddam is gone, and no WMD found to speak of. Time to move on. If anarchy breaks out, I say fine. If Standard Oil feels threatened again, we can always come back and spank some more ragheads. It keeps our troops sharp.

    Stadium hoax: Both. The hoaxer gets many moons of funtime in the slammer, but the Internet stays free. You have to have SOME anarchy in the world. Ask Copernicus.

    Nuclear Japan? Bad idea. Leopards don't change spots and there are those who miss 'Bushido' that would just love to have access to icbms and a few dozen thermonuclear samurai swords. They need to beef up their conventional capabilities bigtime though. They have relied on Uncle Generous for protection against their neighbors for too many decades.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Carney
    Posts
    1,142

    Re: OT: Can we get this forum up and running?

    I also got tired of the old political board because I was tired of all the bashing at both parties. I would love to be able to come here everyday to read, participate and learn. Hopefully this can remain civil.

    And now comments from the middle (OK, maybe slightly leaning left )


    Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    I'll play. Iraq: That war was won long ago. Saddam is gone, and no WMD found to speak of. Time to move on. If anarchy breaks out, I say fine. If Standard Oil feels threatened again, we can always come back and spank some more ragheads. It keeps our troops sharp.
    I completely disagree with the statement that the war has been won. Yes Saddam is out and that is a good thing but by no means has this "war been won". It is time to get out although I have a feeling that this is only going to anger more extreme muslims because we went into a muslim country, removed their leader and then left the place in Civil War.

    Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    Stadium hoax: Both. The hoaxer gets many moons of funtime in the slammer, but the Internet stays free. You have to have SOME anarchy in the world. Ask Copernicus.
    Agree that the guy should go away and the internet stays free. I am going to leave the whole anarchy thing alone

    Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    Nuclear Japan? Bad idea. Leopards don't change spots and there are those who miss 'Bushido' that would just love to have access to icbms and a few dozen thermonuclear samurai swords. They need to beef up their conventional capabilities bigtime though. They have relied on Uncle Generous for protection against their neighbors for too many decades.
    Completely disagree with your assessment of Japan. If Leopards don't change their spots then are you saying you still don't trust Germany and are afraid they are going to gather up all the Jews again? There are tons more examples like this one. I am not saying I am against not allowing Japan to go Nuclear. That is a different topic. The problem is that if we lead the charge for to ban Japan from creating Nukes, then we must take on the responsibility of protecting them. If you are OK with that then I don't have an issue with someone saying to keep Japan non-nuclear.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SW Florida (Venice area)
    Posts
    532

    Re: OT: Can we get this forum up and running?

    Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post

    ...Completely disagree with your assessment of Japan. If Leopards don't change their spots then are you saying you still don't trust Germany and are afraid they are going to gather up all the Jews again? There are tons more examples like this one. I am not saying I am against not allowing Japan to go Nuclear. That is a different topic. The problem is that if we lead the charge for to ban Japan from creating Nukes, then we must take on the responsibility of protecting them. If you are OK with that then I don't have an issue with someone saying to keep Japan non-nuclear.
    You're kidding. Trust Germany? They provoked two world wars and bear watching-always. They are bright, disciplined, militaristic, and are suckers for "orders are to be obeyed, without question" I love em' as allies, and do not want to fight them again. There's a reason Russia is terrified of them.

    Japan is similar in some ways, very clever (and flamingly racist) people, who are perfectly capable of building up their (conventional) armed forces WITHOUT U.S. help. I stand by the opinion I stated previously. Your mileage may vary, of course.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eldersburg
    Posts
    144

    Re: OT: Can we get this forum up and running?

    How about by letting me start a friggin thread AFTER I have logged in and spent time putting one together, instead of me wasting my time and having it tell me "you are not logged on"

    I'd be happy to get in on this political board if I could actually post an effin topic.

    Any ideas webman. I have had nothing but problems posting new subjects or well thought out responses to them. Frankly it is easier to go post it once on scout as opposed to posting it three times here.
    SS




  7. #7

    Re: OT: Can we get this forum up and running?

    I really wanted to make the permanent jump here but I am surprised by the lack of activity on this forum.

    I think if we don't want this sort of thing to break down into partisan rants, of which I am guilty sometimes too, we have a policy/current events forum and then a politics forum. Perhaps around election time an election forum would be nice too.

    Sometimes it's fun to rant at one another.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Probably on the wrong side of the road.
    Posts
    3,322
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT: Can we get this forum up and running?

    Boogy, go ahead and start a few topics. There are many you can pick from: Ehrlich - MOM, Iraq, Stem Cell, Steele - Cardin etc

    Build it and they will come etc.
    Admin Steve
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.




  9. #9

    Re: OT: Can we get this forum up and running?

    I'll play. Iraq: That war was won long ago. Saddam is gone, and no WMD found to speak of. Time to move on. If anarchy breaks out, I say fine. If Standard Oil feels threatened again, we can always come back and spank some more ragheads. It keeps our troops sharp.

    Stadium hoax: Both. The hoaxer gets many moons of funtime in the slammer, but the Internet stays free. You have to have SOME anarchy in the world. Ask Copernicus.

    Nuclear Japan? Bad idea. Leopards don't change spots and there are those who miss 'Bushido' that would just love to have access to icbms and a few dozen thermonuclear samurai swords. They need to beef up their conventional capabilities bigtime though. They have relied on Uncle Generous for protection against their neighbors for too many decades.
    You are three for three, Art. I am with you 100%!

    I think if we don't want this sort of thing to break down into partisan rants, of which I am guilty sometimes too, we have a policy/current events forum and then a politics forum.
    Bingo! I think you've got it. There's not as much personal animosity involved in world affairs. A few used to jump on PurpleGuy on the old board for expressing opinions that were contrary to the Israel lobby party line, and I used to catch some personal grief for advocation of isolationism unless we were truly threatened (then, nuke the bastards). But overall world events was relatively calm.

    Politics was a totally different story. Armed camps.

    Perhaps our new management will take up on this suggestion so we can get some traction here.





  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingsville, MD
    Posts
    680

    Re: OT: Can we get this forum up and running?

    I actually liked the Punch and Judy aspects of the Insiders board - it kept everyone on their toes.

    The problem, as I see it, is that we now have this forum for serious, "keep the pinky pointed outwards when sipping tea" discourse, while Insiders is going to be policed away from the norm of people net-screaming.

    I love melts, and political melts most of all, and hope that this place evolves into a refuge of sanity, while Insiders remains the vituperative carnival of hate we all know and love, providing a place to "take it outside" as the situation merits.

    BS




  11. Re: OT: Can we get this forum up and running?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunday View Post
    I actually liked the Punch and Judy aspects of the Insiders board - it kept everyone on their toes.

    The problem, as I see it, is that we now have this forum for serious, "keep the pinky pointed outwards when sipping tea" discourse, while Insiders is going to be policed away from the norm of people net-screaming.

    I love melts, and political melts most of all, and hope that this place evolves into a refuge of sanity, while Insiders remains the vituperative carnival of hate we all know and love, providing a place to "take it outside" as the situation merits.

    BS
    No matter the board, you never fail to crack me up.
    PS- Love Japan. Arm 'em to the hilt. Just take a look at who else lives in that hood.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingsville, MD
    Posts
    680

    Re: OT: Can we get this forum up and running?

    BTW - did you know that, if you Google "Iraq nuke orbit 'only way to be sure'", you get no less than 899 entries?

    BS




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland