Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Decision to fire the OC Brian Billicks or from on high?

I find it very hard to believe that BB made the decision to fire the OC. Think about the loyalty BB has shown over time...Fuller, Deion, Boller come to mind.

I have no insight into the team, but my gut instinct is the owner made this call. Hey...give it up to BB. He's towing the party line and BB is in a 'contract' year (if you like).

Thoughts?

Re: Decision to fire the OC Brian Billicks or from on high?

respectfully disagree. BB sees The End in sight, and is dropping ballast to save himself (and who wouldn't?). I've heard some whispers about disagreements etc. seems like often, 'friends' have trouble being 'coworkers', esp if one is boss over the other; that can be a problematical dynamic (fancy way of saying, lot of times it don't work). BB is an offensive guru (or was), and JF is an o guru; having two guru in the same room don't work.
    I seriously doubt Stevie Ray is doing that kind of micromanaging.

It definitely came fom the top. There is no way Billick basically ends the career of a good friend unless he's put under the gun. Billick could have just taken over play-calling or gotten more involved with the offense before firing the guy. Look how loyal Brian was to Cavanaugh.

This time it was the right call, but the Biscuit's meddling worries me. So far I haven't been impresed with his ownership. He takes ray to terps games, when he should be taking Billick or Newsome. He berates a winning head coach in front of a national audience. I'd gladly take Modell back.

Definitely from "on high", I don't think Billick has enough pull with the FO to order the coffee. He is a lameduck and this move is just one more nail in his coffin. I agree Purple I'm totally unimpressed with Bisciotti as an owner. I think he's in the mold of Snyder, Davis and Jones, three guys I just can't stand.

It was already stated that Billick made this call and not Bisciotti. Billick has hiring/firing control over his assistant coaches. Billick informed Bisciotti and Ozzie of his decision to fire Fassel.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

6. Re: Decision to fire the OC Brian Billicks or from on high?

Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN View Post
    Definitely from "on high", I don't think Billick has enough pull with the FO to order the coffee. He is a lameduck and this move is just one more nail in his coffin. I agree Purple I'm totally unimpressed with Bisciotti as an owner. I think he's in the mold of Snyder, Davis and Jones, three guys I just can't stand.
    How can you all sit there and tell me that it "DEFINITELY" came from Bisciotti? You DON'T really know, so stop insinuating. ..It's OK to suggest it, but know for sure.....I really don't think so ! It had to happen and it did! Bisciotti is not even close to the same mold as Snyder and I don't believe Steve would MAKE Billick do anything of that nature, he's not that type of guy...Now Billick being a players coach, the players may have helped with the dismissal of Fassel.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Definitely from "on high", I don't think Billick has enough pull with the FO to order the coffee.
    He has it in his contract that the coaches are his purview.

He fired Fassel because HE WAS NOT WORKING HARD ENOUGH. He might have been overly loyal to other people but he was not in this case because:
    a) his friend wasn't putting forth the effort to make him worthy of his loyalty
    b) his other coaches and players noticed it and spoke to him about it
    c) those players mentioned, while important, weren't NEARLY as important as the OC in most cases. Boller doesn't count, who was he supposed to switch to, Wright?

This was more than likely Billick's call.

I don't think Bisciotti is as nearly involved as you think he is. He is very involved with Billick and Ozzie, making sure both know he holds them both accountable. But everything below them, IMnsHO, is left to their call.

It was definitely Billick. Contrary to what some people think, Billick is a very smart man. Think about it...What would you do if everybody was rightfully complaining about your offense in a year when you know you are on the hot seat? You would do the same thing Billick did. I would not want somebody else controlling my destiny. I admire him because he is putting everything on his shoulders and his career as the Ravens head coach.

Disagree. It's a desparation move by Billick. He sees the end in sight and, in order to save his skin, he'd throw anyone under the bus - except McNair, because that was his "fix".

I'm sure that Fassel got a good severance package and will laugh all the way to the bank.

:T2:

if the reports about fassel not working hard are true, then it was different that guys like Fuller, Cavanaugh, Deion, etc.

Billick definitely made the call. From what I understand, Fassel went to Billick and said the offense couldn’t be run by 2 chiefs, he either had to give Jim total control and back off, or let him go. The biggest disagreement in the move involved whether or not Fassel resigned or was fired. Billick finally convinced Fassel to let him fire him, since if Jim resigned the Ravens wouldn’t owe him any more money!

As it stands now, they owe him 1 million next year and the balance of a million for this year! If anything, I think Bisciotti might be pissed that Billick didn’t let him resign!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Disagree. It's a desparation move by Billick.
    Just the opposite, IMnsHO. He made a tough call after his players and coaches pointed out that the effort needed was not being put in. He saw it last year and probably hoped Fassel would amp up his effort given his desire for a HC gig. When it didn't happen he made the prudent business move.

Better than being frozen by the situation and leaving Fassel there despite the complaints. If there are a bunch of complaints about a guy THAT ARE TRUE then the boss has to act. If he leaves Fassel there then it green lights lazy effort and attitude, the last thing we need.