Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Arm Strength Overrated?

I am currently watching the Cards/Bears game on NFL Replay. Leinart has not shown me great arm strength, yet he passed the ball with great efficiency and accuracy. I also think of Tom Brady as a QB without great arm strength, but with great accuracy.

My point is that we don't need McNair to have a "big arm" a la Kyle Boller. If McNair can cure this uncharacteristic lack of accuracy, we are going to be fine on offense.

Screw having a big arm. Once McNair finds his accuracy, the positive difference will manifest.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Arm Strength Overrated?

Dude, when he throws an out I hold my breath, and it takes so long to get out there I think I will pass out waiting. Maybe his arm is so gone that he has to work so hard he has little accuracy. I don't know, but he hasn't even been accurate dinking the ball. He might be accurate on an out, but a cat in a wheelchair playing corner can almost close on those lazy ducks out there.

A big arm isn't necessary, but a reasonable arm is.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    I am currently watching the Cards/Bears game on NFL Replay. Leinart has not shown me great arm strength, yet he passed the ball with great efficiency and accuracy. I also think of Tom Brady as a QB without great arm strength, but with great accuracy.

My point is that we don't need McNair to have a "big arm" a la Kyle Boller. If McNair can cure this uncharacteristic lack of accuracy, we are going to be fine on offense.

Screw having a big arm. Once McNair finds his accuracy, the positive difference will manifest.
    And after 5 games of "uncharacteristic inaccuracy" how much longer should it take the ultra-probowl-stud QB to become accurate?

By the way, McNair's completion % is under 60% for his career so let's not pretend he was Joe Montana with wheels for his career.

Dude, when he throws an out I hold my breath, and it takes so long to get out there I think I will pass out waiting. Maybe his arm is so gone that he has to work so hard he has little accuracy. I don't know, but he hasn't even been accurate dinking the ball. He might be accurate on an out, but a cat in a wheelchair playing corner can almost close on those lazy ducks out there.

A big arm isn't necessary, but a reasonable arm is.
    Explain this to me? How did McNair lose his throwing arm in the course of one year?

Mac still had an arm against us last year, and threw for over 3000+ yards.

You think maybe the OL and having to constantly throw from your back foot might have something to do with accuracy problems?

Mac still has an arm, but he never had an arm like Boller's

Explain this to me? How did McNair lose his throwing arm in the course of one year?
    He didn't. His arm wasn't real strong last season either. It didn't look too powerful to me at the game in Nashville, plus a game or two on the tube. Just like I added a few more grey hairs since last season, Mcnair's arm has just gotten worse this year.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    Arm strength is overated when you cannot place the ball with accuracy.
    I'm not sure what your point is, since McNair has not shown arm strength OR accuracy so far this season, not on any consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    I would take McNair throwing left handed over Boller throwing right handed. Arm strength is overated when you cannot place the ball with accuracy. That was the big knock on Archie Manning. He had a cannon that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Fortunately for his sons, they are far more accurate.
    Wow. Simply wow.

Do you really want to see the stats again?

McNair has completed 56% of his passes with these receivers this year.

Last year, with the same receivers, Boller completed 58% of his passes.

And Boller has a 6 YPA while McNair has a 5.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I don't think you have to have a "canon" for an arm but you do have to be able to throw the ball with some zip and definitely accuracy. McNair has shown neither this season.

Well OldFa... I mean Tex has said that in every game he's watched McNair has been dead on accurate.

I'm actually kind of inclined to believe him.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Well with his vast number of years of observing football Tex must be right.

You do realize that our defense has given up 15 or more points once this season right? McNair is 4-1 in those games. Last year Boller and Wright were 5-2.

Explain to me why 2/3 or 66% of the series McNair has started have ended after 1 or fewer first downs.

If McNair is so much better than Kyle, why is McNair the lowest rated QB in the league? With these same receivers Kyle at least had a rating of +70. McNair has failed to hit the low bar of mediocrity we have come to expect from our QBs.

Why is McNair constantly over/under throwing wide open receivers? Watch a game and get back to me on that one.
    ProFootballMock

Quite an ongoing debate. As we can all agree, stats don't win ballgames. What makes a successful QB, rather, is his ability to stay cool during 'crunch' time; make right decisions; and have the absolute confidence of his teammates. Even though I like Bollers work ethic and dedication to being the best he can be, a great QB either has it, or he doesn't! McNair may not be putting up the numbers (just yet); but, he is definitely the man to lead this team forward, IMO! Of course, only time will tell, and we should know better as the season progresses.