Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ravens Biggest draft need: Impact DE

Lets be serious here: The Ravens officially have no pass rush, with Pryce now sidelined with a torn Pectoral Muscle and Suggs seemingly still being 1 dimensional (very few inside swim moves, etc)

I think the Ravens biggest need is to draft an impact pass rushing DE to be across from Suggs.

We can't get off the field on 3rd and long, and its mostly because the other team is getting 5 or more seconds of pass protection. Its a shame to see such good play on 1st and 2nd down wasted because we can't rush the passer.

I hate to see what Tom Brady does to us if we can't generate some sort of pass rush.

Re: Ravens Biggest draft need: Impact DE

I did not look at this aspect before. I have been focused on the O-Line. It does appear we need some muscle at the DE position though. For the time being though, I am still thinking O-Line beef in the draft. Good observation though and definitely worth looking out for in the remainder of the season.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Top Two Needs: 1 - Shutdown Corner; 2 - Impact De.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Top Two Needs: 1 - Shutdown Corner; 2 - Impact De.

If you haven't noticed the scoring this season, there are abotu 75% of the teams in the NFL that would subscribe to these needs...

My list? 1. corner, 2/3 DE/QB tied.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Thumbs down Re: Ravens Biggest draft need: Impact DE

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    My list? 1. corner, 2/3 DE/QB tied.
    Somewhat agree. If Boller was just finding his rhythm in the first half, and his 2nd half play was what we will see henceforth, QB should fall to later rounds or pick up a vet minimum FA. Our overall needs are too great to invest too much in the QB position if we are getting adequte play.

I am getting more concerned with the OL. I don't know if it's Terry, Yanda, Chester, Brown or several of them, but they look worse each game when they should be improving. Right now, I'm hopeful that Darling is for real and that Boller continues his decent play. In that case, the needs should be fulfilled as a CB, a DE, an OL, a QB and another CB/nickel in that order, but let BPA dictate. If there is a burner who can actually run patterns and who can hang onto the ball, get him into the mix in low rounds.

This is going to be a long and painful rebuilding.

:grbac: :grbac: :grbac: :grbac: :grbac: :grbac: :grbac: :grbac:
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

My list...
    1. QB- Boller is Ok... you won't win championships int eh NFL anymore with an OK QB...
    1.b. - Coach. Billick has lost it. No control, no clock management, fear of running the ball, no grasp on who is the ebest player each position, at this moment. Football is a young man's game, and he stands by his Overpaid Vets. Lloyd needs to make the active roster to handle kickoffs.
    2. CB- Rolle will be retiring, McAllister is aging...
    3. DE- Assuming we DO re-sign Suggs, if not then it is #2. Pryce is aging
    4. C- Chester isn't going to cut it at this level. He got BLOWN UP at LG...
    5. WR- We need a big play threat
    6. TE- Heap can't stay on teh field, and his backups are backups. We need a true, well rounded guy. QSyP may be evolving into this guy. He can block and catch, so it's a start.
    7. Depth elsewhere, OL, DL... Big heavies...

I cringe at the thought of the "guru" running the offensive show in Baltimore with another young QB but that is our #1 need.

We've played a host of 30 something defenses and struggled to put points on the board how many times this season?

I suspect Ozzie and the staff won't reach for a need they'll take the BPA
    addressing QB,CB or DE positions.

Our overall needs are too great to invest too much in the QB position if we are getting adequte play.
    Holy smokes :grbac: Three :bag: turnovers and 1 Touchdown is "adequate" or even "decent" as you say?:insane:

Say What? :insane:
    Last edited by RustonRifle; 11-19-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Wink Re: Ravens Biggest draft need: Impact DE

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    My list...
    1. QB- Boller is Ok... you won't win championships int eh NFL anymore with an OK QB...
    If the Ravens were one or two players away from being a contender, we could be seriously discussing foregoing that need and going for a top tier college prospect. Problem is: this has evolved into a bad team. What good would it do to get a Ryan to play behind this OL and be constantly be playing behind due to no pass rush and a porous secondary? What's needed is about 1/2 dozen or more good players. 1st or 2nd round material. But we don't have enough picks.

I would take an adequate QB for a season while focusing on these other needs. That is, if Boller continues playing as he did in the 2nd half yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    Holy smokes :grbac: Three :bag: turnovers and 1 Touchdown is "adequate" or even "decent" as you say?:insane:

Say What? :insane:
    23 points should win most games. I would say that is adequate.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    If the Ravens were one or two players away from being a contender, we could be seriously discussing foregoing that need and going for a top tier college prospect. Problem is: this has evolved into a bad team. What good would it do to get a Ryan to play behind this OL and be constantly be playing behind due to no pass rush and a porous secondary? What's needed is about 1/2 dozen or more good players. 1st or 2nd round material. But we don't have enough picks.

I would take an adequate QB for a season while focusing on these other needs. That is, if Boller continues playing as he did in the 2nd half yesterday.

23 points should win most games. I would say that is adequate.
    Boller was suprisingly well in the second half. The first half is where most of the damage was done. Let's see how he does next week.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    Boller was suprisingly well in the second half. The first half is where most of the damage was done. Let's see how he does next week.

Pass protection.

You don't separate the play of your QB from the play of your offensive line, and so I'm not worried about Boller as much as I'm worreid about why we haven't bench Ogden for Terry at this point.

Terry is a natural LT, more of a finesse guy, and a better fit at LT AND a better start at LT than Ogden at this point.

Draft needs are at Defense End, CB, and Center. Flynn is at best serviceable, at worst a bum. Chester doesn't have the size or strength apparently.

QB may be a need, but is it the most pressing need? We'll see by how Boller plays when the line holds up.

But the change 1st half v. 2nd half was in the protection.

For most QBs, confidence = confidence-in-your-offensive-line

I absolutely agree. I was not giving Boller all the credit. It had so much to do with protection. I am with you on that one.