Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Ravens Biggest draft need: Impact DE

In my opinion, we need (1) or (2) DB's. Definitely one, two for good measure. We do need a shut down DE to put pressure on opposing QB's which in turn help out the secondary. We still need to sure up the "O" line and if there was one in the first round that was outstanding, I would draft him. A great "O" line buys your QB time. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have outstanding "O" lines, which allow them to perform their job to the best of their abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Maybe it's semantics.

But again, great isn't what I would describe it as.

Good? Yup.

Like I said, Im probably nitpicking.

PP
    You are usually not one for nitpicking. But in this case, I think you are. And I think because if he had played anywhere NEAR that the 1st half, then you wouldn't be nitpicking.

You are entitled to that. He sucked the first half (which there is no debating), and it skewerd your review of him in the second half because we didn't win. That's cool. I just don't agree, that's all. Let's agree on this. I'll take that half at least 3/4ths of that performance for 2 halves next week against the Chargers. How's that?

If Suggs is as good as many say he is, then there's no way we should have to think about taking a DE with our #1 pick.

That said, Suggs to me is a good player but not great. I understand the need to have more than just one legit pass rushing force but Suggs needs to be able to create on his own as well.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with him and a contract.

But to me, a good young CB is clearly the biggest need for this team on the defensive side of the ball.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    You are usually not one for nitpicking. But in this case, I think you are. And I think because if he had played anywhere NEAR that the 1st half, then you wouldn't be nitpicking.

You are entitled to that. He sucked the first half (which there is no debating), and it skewerd your review of him in the second half because we didn't win. That's cool. I just don't agree, that's all. Let's agree on this. I'll take that half at least 3/4ths of that performance for 2 halves next week against the Chargers. How's that?
    Works for me.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    At some point, the OL that we have CONSIDERABLY invested in RECENTLY has to step up. You can't keep draft the same position over and over again. I think we have to see what we have, and draft and acquire FA's to augment that. I don't really know exactly what we have in the line of Terry - Brown-Chester-Grubbs-Yanda as we may not have even seen that line on the field at the same tiem yet, or if we have it was certainly not nearly a full game. I think they will be good. Also there is NO denyign that improved QB play helps the line by leaps and bounds. A QB that can get rid of the ball quikcly and effectively, discourages the blitz. We haven't had that guy.
    The problem though is that we will never have a guy that can the ball out so quick that he doesn't even have to finish his drop. And you and I have both seen our QB's (not just Boller) sometimes not even be able to finish a 3 step drop before getting hit. Remember, Boller is one of the only QB's in the league I have ever seen get sacked while actually turning around to hand the ball off to a running back (2005 against Pittsburgh).

I'm not 100% sure how improved QB play stops a 4 man rush from penetrating your line, but I do know that if the OL can create a pocket for a QB, the QB performs better. We've seen it time and again.

Realistically, is Tom Brady THAT good a QB if he doesn't have time to make and eat a sandwich before having to throw the ball? I think we can answer the question about Peyton Manning now. Look what KC did to him, and what the Chargers did to him last week. Look what our defense dows to him when we can get a pass rush. Collapse Manning's pocket and he can't function. That's no different for any QB. Our problem here is that we can't hold a pocket together for a QB.

Personally, I want to see Terry and Yanda play the tackles. I want Grubbs and Brown on the inside. And I wanted Greg Eslinger last year for a center, but the team felt that Mike Flynn was good enough.

I agree that a bona fide #1 WR would be a great add as well, but I think we can wait a year on that one... at least not a more pressing need then QB.
    We disagree here. Both Boller and Smith have cannons. But when your receivers are constantly covered, and your current #1 receiver is just a possession guy that stays behind the 1st down marker all the time, it's real hard to impose your will downfield. The problem isn't getting the ball downfield. The problem is having someone you can send on a regular basis. Even if you aren't throwing deep, you can clear out a zone for an intermediate pass. We don't have that.

Devard Darling showed promise, but is he that downfield threat every week?

Sure we have needs on the defense, but with all fo these injuries we are still a top 10 D... And JJ isn't that HUGE a drop in play from AD...
    Yes he is. AD was a special player. Anyone is a drop in play from him. I like JJ, but he is no AD. How many times did you hear his name yesterday?

Keep in mind Rolle may not be back, McAlister is getting older, and Pryce is now out for the year and lord knows what else. Do you want to trust our secondary to Cory Ivy and Derrick Martin as our future?? Me either.

I understand what you are saying, I guess we just see it differently... I think if we do all of the things you say, which I do see as needs, we'll be wasting it without a QB. YOu think picking a QB may cost us to fill those needs... but really, who impacts a game more then a QB? How can a serious deficiemcy in the most important position in all of sports, be ignored?
    A QB that can play well behind a functional OL will be a key difference. We've had all kinds of QB's in here. Steve McNair wasn't a bum when he got here. But after playing behind this OL, he turned into an ineffective QB. After 9 years of QB after QB, I'm still very convinced it's not the QB.

I still 100% completely hold to my belief that Chris Redman, Kyle Boller, Steve McNair, would ALL have looked and played MUCH better than they did behind a real NFL offensive line. Instead they all look horrible, get hurt, get knocked out, and turn into old men in an instant.

I just can't see wasting another 1st round pick on another QB who will come in and do the same thing.

Blog Entries

Here's who we should be looking at in next years draft:

• DE: Chris Long, Virginia
      Chris Ellis, VT
    • CB: Terrell Thomas, USC
      Mike Jenkins, South Florida
      Antoine Cason, Arizona
    • C: Steve Justice, Wake Forest
      Mike Pollak, Arizona State
    • Guard: Roy Schuening, Oregon State
      Eric Young, Tennessee