Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Redskin fans want Boller

he's done here in Baltimore unless something crazy happens this season where he leads us to something nobody expected
    I'm not so sure. Billick may be stubborn and coaching for his job, but I don't think Bisciotti and Oz (assumedly the survivor at the end of this season) are fools. Considering that Kyle had but one season at major college football, then tossed into the lion's den without seasoning, then big parts of two seasons lost: he really hasn't had that many games to mature. And three of his past four games have been good to outstanding.

I would agree that if Billick survives, and Mcnair plays out the season without serious injury or benching, Kyle could well be a Redskin or Chief or whatever.

It's sink or swim. To be honest, Im not all that confident we're gonna swim.
    Careful PP, or you may be branded as a heretic, i.e.: "Everytime I log onto this board, I see NOTHING but negativity" and "That's why I block the ones that are always negative. Life is to short to be that way. People like that are not happy unless they're miserable."

Yeah PP, I've really been listening less and less to local radio shows and switching on the ol' XM to catch the Colin Cowherds of the sports world. After a while listening to NST and 1300 get numbing. And does 1090 still even do a sports show outside of broadcasts, because I don't listen to that station at all anymore.

Outside of the Boller is good/bad issue, we tend to agree more than it looks like we do. To me, it's not a matter of Boller sucks or Boller is God. It's just really hard to determine the kid to be a bust, when every other QB that comes into this system becomes a bust, even if they've been to the pro-bowl (Grbac AND Jeff Blake), drafted because they set passing records in the NCAA and their school, or even was a former co-MVP as it is turning out. You always have that damn question of "what if". "What if" Ogden doesn't get flagged for a penalty in Cleveland that nullified that TD, we win. "What if" after Boller trips in Denver he simply gets up and throws the ball away, we win. What if he didn't get hurt in week 1 last year. Those questions are just as well a negative as anything else because you shouldn't have to ask "what if". But the history of QB play in this system has always led me to the belief that Boller isn't as bad as people want to make him out to be. And the answer to that question simply won't come as a Baltimore Raven. It will come when he's under center behind a better OL, or in a system that is more like he had at Cal. I think Denver would be another place he could play because Shannahan did with Plummer what Tedford did with Boller. Now before anyone chimes in, they have Jay Cutler so Denver is not an option; I was just making a point about a system. But to me, Boller's fate in the league is far from sealed. I think it's just sealed with the Ravens, barring a SuperBowl run, which with this offensive line I just don't see possible with any QB outside of MAYBE Michael Vick; but he also can't hit the broadside of a barn with his shitty arm. Did I just say that out loud? :)

It's sink or swim. To be honest, Im not all that confident we're gonna swim.
    It sucks to think that way, but I can't disagree. This is what gets me labeled as a "hugger", but to be dead honest the first time I really felt like this offense had a chance to actually win a game without the defense was when Boller came in on Sunday. Watching him move the chains gave some people hope. And when's the last time that's happened with him?

I'm just not confident McNair has the tools anymore to lead THIS PARTICULAR offense. And I want, VERY BADLY, to be proven wrong here. I'd love to come out of the stretch of division games sitting at the top of the division with McNair's QB rating approaching 90 and the offensive putting up numbers like we saw against Carolina. I'd love to sit down with my friends for a road game and say "please, we've got this. Our offense will tear them up." And I'd love to have eat giant crow on this forum and have people tell me I was nuts and had no faith and yada yada. I just don't see how that's going to happen the way things are right now.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 10-19-2006 at 12:33 AM.

I think McNair has really helped Boller, guess I will always be a "hugger". His pump fake and play action had me in the stands jaw dropped in amazement. His feet are less happy and he was making his check down reads and smarter decisions.

If Billick remains coach after this season, I expect Boller to get a shot to beat McNair in training camp. If another coach comes in, they might be open to giving Boller a chance, but more likely they're going to want "their guy" straight out of the draft.

Boller's best chance at remaining with this team is for McNair to suffer a more serious injury. With our offensive line, it's a very real possibility. I'd hate to see McNair injured (or Boller injured, as we have zero depth at QB if either happens), but at this point I'll take anyone who wins.

I will go on record here and now and unequivicably state that abolutely, positively, no other coach in the NFL would start Kyle Boller on his football team.
    You go right ahead on record. You would be unequivocally wrong. Plain and simple.

Oh, and Harrington right now is starting for Miami. I'm sure that you knew this.

If Billick remains coach after this season, I expect Boller to get a shot to beat McNair in training camp.
    I think that depends on how McNair plays the rest of the season. As several of us has pointed out on this board, McNair, aside from a couple of drives, has really not played that great so far. If he resembles the McNair we saw in Tennessee from this point forward, then there will not be a competition next year. But if he continues to struggle, then Boller certainly should have an opportunity to win the starting job next year. In fact, if McNair continues to struggle, there's an outside chance that Boller might take over THIS YEAR.

My preference would be for McNair to get better, because I don't think a QB controversy would do the team much good. And before someone reminds me, yes, I know we had a QB change in our Super Bowl year, and that worked out pretty well. But we've already had some controversy this season with Fassel getting run out, players complaining, and so on, so I don't think a QB debate would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    Go back to his time at Cal. Tom Holmoe got one of the best QB prospects to come out of California in half a decade and preceeded to destroy his college career. The only time Boller even got anything resembling a chance in college was with Tedford's arrival in Boller's last season. The season preceeding that I believe Cal went 1-10. Then Tedford came in, and Boller was one of the best QB's on the west coast instantly but still it was only one season of quality work in his entire college career after basically working in a joke offense with a joke coach the previous three years. That would explain why his learning curve might be a bit long, much like KRob, if you only really have one season of quality college experience, you're probably gonna be a bit behind the curve.
    I had to check that out and sure seems like Tom Holmoe was a disaster to say the least, link, link, link.

I mean (2001):
    Tom Holmoe today is not the same man who was hastily offered and took his first head coaching job on a cold day in January nearly five years ago. He didn't quite know what what he was getting into, and there were times when he didn't know what he was doing.
    I rest my case.

Some humor just to highlight how bad he was, link, link

Story about Jeff Tedford and what he found once he took over at Cal. He seems like a great coach but only coached Boller in his final year, link

Has anyone seen any interviews where Boller has talked about Tom Holmoe and the coaching he received, or as it would seem, never received?

Tedford's QB's haven't exactly lit the league on fire.

Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Akili Smith, A.J. Feeley and Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller and Aaron Rodgers.

Dilfer was a major bust in TB and is mediocre at best.

Carr is showing some signs in his 4th year. He's been behind one of the worst lines ever since coming into the league.

Not much to say about Smith.

The Dolphins found out how overrated Feeley was when they dealt a 2nd rounder for him.

Harrington was a nightmare in Detroit and is now starting for Miami after Culpepper went down.

Boller is Boller. We all have our opinions on him.

Rodgers is unknown so far.

Seems to me that Tedford is a great college QB coach. His QBs haven't exactly translated their college successes to the NFL.

PP

Yes, you are wrong. Way, and how. It's just that plain and simple.

Some of that PP is also a product of the system these QB's have gone to. Much like some of us believe that's been Boller's hinderance, you can see that in other teams too.

Harrington. When Harrington left Detroit, a change in QB and that team STILL sucks. Jon Kitna FINALLY eeked out a game there, and they have #1 draft picks at WR all the way around. Now Harrington is at Miami and the fans want him to stay the starter.

Texans - Exactly as you said. If any team in the league actually had a worse OL than us, it's them. And to show you how bad that team really is, they picked 1st and passed up both Reggie Bush and more importantly D'Brickashaw Ferguson to draft a defensive end. Lot of good that did them so far.

Bengals - Joke of the league until Marvin Lewis arrived. Actually more of a joke than the Detroit Lions were if you could believe that.

As for Dilfer, he's always been a backup at best. He's a backup with a Super Bowl ring, nothing more. Given the job in Cleveland and lost it before the year was up.

Aaron Rodgers is quite the ? of the group. No one know's how he'll fair when it's all said and done. At this point he has to be better than Favre is right now. That team has too much loyalty to Brett to ever let Rodgers see the green of the field as long as Favre wants to play.

Coincidence that some of these teams sucked offensively before and after Tedford QB's (minus Cincy)? Even the Ravens.......

Sorry, the minute to admitted to not actually watching games, you lost all credibility to have any kind of discussion with me.

Because I[ve answered your question in 2 other forums. And if you can't read the rest of the threads, then you don't understand the answer.

And again, I don't know what games you have and haven't watched now, so your credibility to talk about any QB play is shot. I could care less about your cable package. Most of us watch every Ravens game. If I'm not sitting in my seat in 515, it's on my TV. If I didn't live in Baltimore, I'd use Sunday Ticket like I do to watch other teams play.

Discussion closed.