Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A few random thoughts

Having gone to today's game assuming that the odds of the Ravens reaching the playoffs are about as good as Dennis Kucinich becoming our next President or Martin O'Malley cutting taxes I was probably not as critical as some others. But I will admit having a root canal would of been more fun than watching the offense in the first half (the whole 3 minutes they were on the field). Having decided not to jump over the side and end it all, I was glad to have hung around for the second half. Some things I noted:
    The world's next greatest QB (Anderson) at least according to some poster's was not all that impressive. He makes some good throws but also had really bad throws, like into the ground. Add to that an impressive cast of receivers surrounding him you would think he would be even better than his mediocre self. I guess sadly his run to HOF is over.

A tale of two cities. Thanks God this game wasn't played in Cleveland and the ending reversed with the Ravens were given the win ten minutes after the game was over. If so they would be still rioting in the streets of Cleveland and the NFL would be forced to ban the sale of beer after the start of the National Anthem. Keeping in mind of course that the last time the fine folks of Cleveland had a call go against them they bombarded the field with beer bottles and the rest of the league was forced to ban beer sales at the end of the 3rd quarter and you could no longer have a cap on your water bottle ( For God knows what reason).

True genius, yes there is a true genius on the Ravens and his name is Rex Ryan. Considering the turnovers, the injuries and the total lack of offensive support the defense receives it's a wonder they aren't at the bottom of the league instead of at the top. If Rex Ryan had been running the the 2000 D their might of been a few dead quarterbacks left on the field.

Kyle Boller, this is one tough umbra. If Elvis Grabac had half the toughness of Boller he would still be in the NFL ( but of good old Elvis was from Cleveland and well without going into any details that sort of explains things). Boller got hammered more the once but just picked himself up and continued on unlike the aforementioned Mr Grabac. BTW if anyone sees Mr Chester they might want to explain to him that object of the offensive line is to not let your Quarterback get killed.

Oh well a losing still sucks but it's nice to know we can score points and things aren't totally bleak for the future. It would be nice if we could ruin New England's year or put a clink in Manning's teflon coated armor.

Re: A few random thoughts

I'd like to add one thing.

Ray Lewis was an absolute beast yesterday.

The man may run his mouth too much and cause some shit here and there but he's been playing 100% and he's still a damn fine football player.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I'd like to add one thing.

Ray Lewis was an absolute beast yesterday.

The man may run his mouth too much and cause some shit here and there but he's been playing 100% and he's still a damn fine football player.

PP
    You're 100% RIGHT ON! What a football player!

Ray tried to put this team on his back yesterday & lead them to victory. He was all over the field & seemed to be on every play that wasn't to a WR. Unfortunately, Coach Brain got in the way & instead of running the clock down at the end of regulation before kicking the GW field goal, he gates pass happy on 2nd & 1 & 3rd & 1. O well, what the hell did we get McGahee here for? Just like the Buffalo game w/ 2nd & 1 & 3 straight passes at the end.

Kyle gets my vote as toughest Raven ever. All the crap he has been thru for 5years & he keeps going. He seemed to get hit every play that wasn't a running play & not love taps but drilled. Was there even an O line out there? Yesterday, he just kept bouncing back & led his team to what should have been a stunning 4th quarter comeback for the win, except, as I said earlier, Coach Brain got in the way.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

I was worried in the 1st half. Boller was far less than impressive. It looked like a repeat of the past 3 McNair contests. I do not know what was said at halftime in the locker room, but it sure made a difference. I hope that Boller got the cobwebs off and will play the rest of his starts as well as he did not the second half.

All in all, what a roller-coaster of a game. 1st half=WTF, 2nd half=WOAH!, OT=DAMN IT ALL TO HADES!
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Ray Lewis sure did turn the switch on for this team with that INT for a TD.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

agree wi PD101. at least we know our O can score in this league; last week I was wondering.
    now; can they score against big-time Ds like San Diego and the Cheatriots?
    I'm looking at 6-7 wins this year. does Coach BB come back? I'd say...no.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

This random thought crossed my mind yesterday:

1) If I go bowling and I knock down 9 pins and that 1 pin continues to wobble but doesn't fall completely down, should I proceed to score it as a strike?

2) If I shoot a jumpshot that sinks halfway into the basket before rimming out and landing harmlessly onto the hardwood as time expires, do I proceed to score it as a basket?

3) If the NFL deems that such a play is not reviewable, yet clearly proceeds to review it should that obvious breech of the rulebook be allowed or considered valid?

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmm"...:grbac:

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    This random thought crossed my mind yesterday:

1) If I go bowling and I knock down 9 pins and that 1 pin continues to wobble but doesn't fall completely down, should I proceed to score it as a strike?

2) If I shoot a jumpshot that sinks halfway into the basket before rimming out and landing harmlessly onto the hardwood as time expires, do I proceed to score it as a basket?

3) If the NFL deems that such a play is not reviewable, yet clearly proceeds to review it should that obvious breech of the rulebook be allowed or considered valid?

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmm"...:grbac:
    Any play is reviewable, including the last play of the game.

Look, it was the right call. The bigger picture is we should have never placed ourselves in that position to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Any play is reviewable, including the last play of the game.

Look, it was the right call. The bigger picture is we should have never placed ourselves in that position to begin with.
    Incorrect.

The last play was in fact non reviewable. There are 8 plays listed in the NFL rulebook that are nonreviewable and one of those plays is a FG like the one yesterday.

Here's an excerpt from one recap:

Referee Pete Morelli had announced over the public address system that he would "take a look at this play" before he went to the review booth and manned the headphones to replay assistant Howard Slavin. According to league spokesman Greg Aiello, Slavin told Morelli that he couldn't show him the kick because field goals are not reviewable under the rules.

Morelli proceeded to further discuss the kick with his crew and Aiello said one of the back judges, Keith Ferguson, "felt more strongly" that the ball had crossed through the goal posts. Morelli based his reversal on Ferguson's opinion.

Now, my question is this. If that back judge was so sure the ball went through, then why wasn't he voicing that right away? It's pretty obvious to me that something was said to Morelli from upstairs and that the crew was just covering their asses with that explanation.

As a Ravens fan I can be bitter at the way it was handled but that bitterness is dulled by the fact that the ball clearly did go through the uprights and if my team was the team kicking it, I'd want the right call to be made as well.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Incorrect.

The last play was in fact non reviewable. There are 8 plays listed in the NFL rulebook that are nonreviewable and one of those plays is a FG like the one yesterday.

Here's an excerpt from one recap:

Referee Pete Morelli had announced over the public address system that he would "take a look at this play" before he went to the review booth and manned the headphones to replay assistant Howard Slavin. According to league spokesman Greg Aiello, Slavin told Morelli that he couldn't show him the kick because field goals are not reviewable under the rules.

Morelli proceeded to further discuss the kick with his crew and Aiello said one of the back judges, Keith Ferguson, "felt more strongly" that the ball had crossed through the goal posts. Morelli based his reversal on Ferguson's opinion.

Now, my question is this. If that back judge was so sure the ball went through, then why wasn't he voicing that right away? It's pretty obvious to me that something was said to Morelli from upstairs and that the crew was just covering their asses with that explanation.

As a Ravens fan I can be bitter at the way it was handled but that bitterness is dulled by the fact that the ball clearly did go through the uprights and if my team was the team kicking it, I'd want the right call to be made as well.

PP
    He may not be able to go to the peep show booth and look at it, but he CAN talk to the other officials and if it's determined the ball DID break the plane of the posts, then it's a good field goal. What happened yesterday had no precedent at all. It was one of those one in a million things

And I dont think something was said from the booth. You can cleary see on the replay only one backjudge gave the "no good" signal and then both quickly started talking about it.

In any event, I do agree with you. Getting the right call is important.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He may not be able to go to the peep show booth and look at it, but he CAN talk to the other officials and if it's determined the ball DID break the plane of the posts, then it's a good field goal. What happened yesterday had no precedent at all. It was one of those one in a million things

And I dont think something was said from the booth. You can cleary see on the replay only one backjudge gave the "no good" signal and then both quickly started talking about it.

In any event, I do agree with you. Getting the right call is important.
    Ahh, I see what you meant. I meant reviewable meaning instant replay from upstairs.

But I still question why the referee put his head under the hood and also talked to the replay ref upstairs for some time after he came out from under the hood.

Seriously, if the conversation went as they say it did and the only thing that was said from upstairs was "we cannot review that play and you must make the decision down there" then why even go under the hood? It should have been a 5 second conversation. But it clearly wasn't.

I sit in 510 and I was watching both back judges. You are correct that only one gave the no good sign. But that was after a quick exchange with the other back judge. I'll ask again. If that other back judge was so adamant about the FG being good, then why didn't he express that right away? Why did Morelli have to go over to the booth, converse with the ref upstairs, come back to the field, and only then have the other back judge speak up with such assuredness?

If nothing else it was certainly peculiar the way it wall went down.

We all went from cheering a great comeback to trying to grasp the idea that not was the FG good but the game was over soon after.

Of course, as soon as they ruled for the FG, you pretty much knew we'd lose the toss and in turn, lose the game.

PP