Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Special Teams Suck!

Why didn't we do what every other team does at the end of a game for kickoffs and squib it?

Stover gets no hieght on his kickoffs when they are deep and when he boots it high, it comes down at the 15.

Where is that British kicker we keep signing? What is the purpose of him being on the team?

Why did we waste a pick on Figurs when we are scared to put him out there for punts? For all Ross is doing, we could put Figurs out there to fumble the ball and get 2 yards a return. And Ed Reed has no idea what he is doing back there...he fair caught a damn punt at the 4 yard line!

Stover was asked this on WBAL after the game and his answer will surprise you. I'm going off of memory here and not looking for the actual quote but it was something like, "I didn't squib it as we're all football players and we should be able to stop him from running".
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia.
    -xmradiodave 9/13/08

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    What is wrong with this Frank Gansz, Jr? I thought he was suppose to the the special teams genius? We were diced up yesterday. I think all of these assistant coaches, except for Rex Ryan (who always does his job) need to be evaluated for their compentcy and job performance.
    Well, if you were a member of the Scout board back when we hired Gansz, a Chiefs fan that sometimes posts there named "FatElvis" (I think) said that Gansz wasn't that good a ST coach, that Dante Hall made the Chiefs ST look good, while the coverage units were terrible.

Truthfully I'm not sure how much impact the ST coach has on the coverage units anyway. It seems like something pretty basic. I think the coach has more of an influence on the returners, and he's obviously not doing a very good job there.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

the ST was horrible all around yesterday, remember when Reed instead of letting the ball bounce in the 3rd quarter fielded it on the 5, then Koch had to kick out of the back of the EZ and resulted in a terrible kick that was returned to the 28 or so, which resulted in a TD for them a few plays later.

All around horrible ST as of late........ another area where coaching is not stepping up and coaching these guys imho.
    "Is it me or does Billick seem a bit in his Post game Interviews? or is it he's just :insane: and doesn't know what to do?"

The ravens special teams is one of the worst in the league. We nned to find players in the later parts of the draft who will improve the special tams. They give up way too many yards on kick offs. Mike Preston gave them a "F" today on his report card. I agree fully with the "F".

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Why didn't we do what every other team does at the end of a game for kickoffs and squib it?
    Squib it or kick it deep, we end up with the ball at the 40 anyway. I liked the deep kick, Stover is right. We had to be able to go down there and tackle, and we had to be able to stop them on defense. Squibbing would have guaranteed a short field.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

7. Re: Special Teams Suck!

Stover should have put it in the endzone both times...20 yd line is better than taking a chance with our ST unit, who can't seem to tackle worth a crap.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

If Stover could kick it 5 yards deep into the end zone every time he would.

A squib would not have put them at the 40, probably. The ball bounces around and sometimes it is moved easily up to the 40, sometimes it does out of bounds and is placed at the 40 and sometimes it is field around the 15 and by that time the returner has no momentum and coverage in his grill. It should have been squibbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If Stover could kick it 5 yards deep into the end zone every time he would.

A squib would not have put them at the 40, probably. The ball bounces around and sometimes it is moved easily up to the 40, sometimes it does out of bounds and is placed at the 40 and sometimes it is field around the 15 and by that time the returner has no momentum and coverage in his grill. It should have been squibbed.

The squib has just as many what-if factors as kicking it right to the leading returner. It is a gamble. That was a tough call. One that bit us in the ass. But a squib... sheesh. Too many what-ifs.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

The Ravens use to have special team play. It should went south fast.