Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 74
  1. #31

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.



    Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    Hmmm... Billick is not going anywhere. With 4 years on contract, it makes it a bit difficult to just fire him. As for the comment that Stover must go... that is just plain stupid. No matter how you try to explain it, it is stupid.
    I disagree. I am not saying stover must go. I am saying if Billick can't trust Stover to make a 47 yard field goal and feels like he's forced to throw on 3 and 1 because of that....then stover needs to either get Billick's confidence or go.

    I don't think that's unreasonable or a stupid thing to say. it's a 47 yard field goal, you don't make it in the NFL if you can't kick a 47 yarder.




  2. #32

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by AA-Raven View Post
    oh I would have to say that Stover is the only player Billick has confidence in, and personally speaking why shouldn't he? after all he's been our best player in Billick's tenure as HC here.....
    Right...that's just the only compu-coach reason I could even think of that made any kind of sense other than Billick being a total loon.

    ...I hope it's not true.




  3. #33

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Kevin, you have to also take into account they were at 2nd and 1. If we run the ball, and get the 1st down, we could have forced Cleveland to chew up all three of their timeouts at that point.

    Quote Originally Posted by OwingsMillsAlex View Post
    From what I could stomach reading this thread you all say that Billick should go because he didn't call a running play. YET what would you all be saying if he had called the running play and A) McGhee goes backwards for loss of yards, B) Boller or McGhee drop the ball and Cleveland recovers, or C) both 2-1 and 3-1 the ball goes nowhere fast and were stuck with a long field goal that may or may not make it through the uprights???
    That is a chance you have to take. What if Boller didn't incomplete those passes and instead was sacked for a 5-8 yard loss? Then you're out of field goal range AND the clock stopped.

    You always run the ball in that situation. That is what you pay Willis McGahee for, to get the ball in the middle of the field and ahead for a single yard.

    Passing the ball was the worst mistake in the game. Bottom line.




  4. #34

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Yeah should have run the ball. However yes this team is stuck with Billck. They gave him way too long of a contract more years to suffer Raven fans




  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    5,056
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by OwingsMillsAlex View Post
    From what I could stomach reading this thread you all say that Billick should go because he didn't call a running play. YET what would you all be saying if he had called the running play and A) McGhee goes backwards for loss of yards, B) Boller or McGhee drop the ball and Cleveland recovers, or C) both 2-1 and 3-1 the ball goes nowhere fast and were stuck with a long field goal that may or may not make it through the uprights???
    You can "what if" everything until your blue in the face.......but you can't argue the fact that we were averaging somewhere around 5-6yds A CARRY in the second half and we should have ran it twice in that situation, if for nothing else than to take time off the clock!

    McGahee, even on a broken play, rarely goes backwards and I can't see them stopping us in that situation....




  6. #36

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    How many timeouts did Cleveland have when they got the ball back? I don't remember. If it was 2 then running and not making the 1st down wouldn't have made a difference.
    Important point. There were three timeouts. This was NOT the Bills game redux, it was not the same situation. Cleveland had 3 timeouts, clock management was *not* the overriding factor. The overriding factor was putting points on the board, a touchdown if possible.

    With 30+ seconds on the clock, inside makeable field goal range but the opponent has all 3 timeouts left, it was a judgement call whether to press for more. If the first pass falls incomplete we are *glad* for that if the second is complete for the first down; we still have time to take shots into the end zone. It didn't happen, instead, two incomplete passes later, all we had to do was (a) kick the field goal, and (b) stop them from scoring with ~30 ticks left on the clock. Well, we didn't do it.

    Failures of execution on special teams, and of the offense in the first half, really stood out to me in this game, much moreso then our second guessing of "would've could've" of the coaching staff.

    The offense executed poorly in the first half with poor blocking and passing. Special teams executed poorly all game long. The defense played generally well but at the end could not get off the field on two game-deciding drives.

    Go ahead and hang Billick from the nearest tree if you all want. I didn't see the game the same way you guys did, I guess.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  7. #37

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    I disagree - there was no reason to take shots at the end zone

    All you had to do was milk the clock & kick a field goal - Game over

    We had 2 downs to make 1 yard - we should be able to do that running the ball


    If we make the 1 yard running we win.




  8. #38

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Yes but if we make the 1 yard passing we win too. That was my point.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    47 yards was still long for Stover. We were trying to pick up a few more yards.
    And we got no more. We could have run for the first down and probably gotten 5-6 yards, they were playing pass. Even if we just get 2 and a first down we dirt the ball and still have 20 seconds at least left, we are 2nd and 10 with a time out in the pocket. We can then throw.

    I was standing there and my wife and the guy next to me can attest to this, AND I SAID THIS TO GET MORE YARDS, "we can still run the ball, let's run it once."




  10. #40

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Passing unsuccessfully in that situation is like giving the opposition a free time out

    Running unsuccesfully is not - that is the difference

    That is my point




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    443

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Yes but if we make the 1 yard passing we win too. That was my point.
    The difference is if we run the ball Cleveland likely never gets to try the FG. That's why you run it.

    Trying for the 1 yard by a rushing attempt has a better outcome even if you don't get that yard.




  12. #42

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by FHRaven View Post
    The difference is if we run the ball Cleveland likely never gets to try the FG. That's why you run it.

    Trying for the 1 yard by a rushing attempt has a better outcome even if you don't get that yard.
    They had 3 timeouts. The clock was not as much of an ally as many here are saying. The important thing was the first down, not the running of the clock.

    :2c:, I don't anticipate persuading anybody. Just my opinion.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    443

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    They had 3 timeouts. The clock was not as much of an ally as many here are saying. The important thing was the first down, not the running of the clock.

    :2c:, I don't anticipate persuading anybody. Just my opinion.
    As I posted earlier, the clock was a factor. In fact, it was paramount. They kicked the FG with 3 seconds left! And they could pass to any location on the field because they could stop the clock since we didn't make them burn any TOs!

    Running the ball twice would almost assuredly have burned those 3 seconds off. No FG attempt. Ravens win.




  14. #44

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    I've been apologizing for Billick for too long. I'm on the bandwagon... Fire Billick. He can't manage the clock, can't put the best players on the field, and refuses to run the ball anymore. He is simply not putting his players in positions to win the game.




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Billick doesn't need to be fired, he needs to hand over running the offense to a better in game manager. I think Billick is top notch in preparation, motivation and organization, but he is weak in the game management area. We see it in many ways.

    He needs to let an OC run the offense during the game and stay out of it.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland