Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

I disagree - there was no reason to take shots at the end zone

All you had to do was milk the clock & kick a field goal - Game over

We had 2 downs to make 1 yard - we should be able to do that running the ball

If we make the 1 yard running we win.

Yes but if we make the 1 yard passing we win too. That was my point.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

47 yards was still long for Stover. We were trying to pick up a few more yards.
    And we got no more. We could have run for the first down and probably gotten 5-6 yards, they were playing pass. Even if we just get 2 and a first down we dirt the ball and still have 20 seconds at least left, we are 2nd and 10 with a time out in the pocket. We can then throw.

I was standing there and my wife and the guy next to me can attest to this, AND I SAID THIS TO GET MORE YARDS, "we can still run the ball, let's run it once."

Passing unsuccessfully in that situation is like giving the opposition a free time out

Running unsuccesfully is not - that is the difference

That is my point

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Yes but if we make the 1 yard passing we win too. That was my point.
    The difference is if we run the ball Cleveland likely never gets to try the FG. That's why you run it.

Trying for the 1 yard by a rushing attempt has a better outcome even if you don't get that yard.

Quote Originally Posted by FHRaven View Post
    The difference is if we run the ball Cleveland likely never gets to try the FG. That's why you run it.

Trying for the 1 yard by a rushing attempt has a better outcome even if you don't get that yard.
    They had 3 timeouts. The clock was not as much of an ally as many here are saying. The important thing was the first down, not the running of the clock.

:2c:, I don't anticipate persuading anybody. Just my opinion.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

They had 3 timeouts. The clock was not as much of an ally as many here are saying. The important thing was the first down, not the running of the clock.

:2c:, I don't anticipate persuading anybody. Just my opinion.
    As I posted earlier, the clock was a factor. In fact, it was paramount. They kicked the FG with 3 seconds left! And they could pass to any location on the field because they could stop the clock since we didn't make them burn any TOs!

Running the ball twice would almost assuredly have burned those 3 seconds off. No FG attempt. Ravens win.

I've been apologizing for Billick for too long. I'm on the bandwagon... Fire Billick. He can't manage the clock, can't put the best players on the field, and refuses to run the ball anymore. He is simply not putting his players in positions to win the game.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Billick doesn't need to be fired, he needs to hand over running the offense to a better in game manager. I think Billick is top notch in preparation, motivation and organization, but he is weak in the game management area. We see it in many ways.

He needs to let an OC run the offense during the game and stay out of it.

I don't have strong feelings about whether Billick should go one way or the other.

But I will say this.

If he is removed at the end of the year, we will be saying goodbye to a head coach who brought us more good years then bad, turned us from perennial losers to a powerhouse, and who held the team together when off-field issues threatened to tear us apart. More than once.

We *have* had years with an effective offense, and we *have* had (several) years battling deficiencies in personnel, through injury or otherwise. I agree our offense has never been "explosive," but the goal is to win, not to be explosive.

So, I'll understand if the FO decides it's time to part ways. It's their call and this year is such a disaster they will have carte blanche from the fans, including me, to do what they think is best. But it's a serious decision, and for all the demands here, it's just not as simple as many posters want it to be.
    Festivus

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Billick doesn't need to be fired, he needs to hand over running the offense to a better in game manager. I think Billick is top notch in preparation, motivation and organization, but he is weak in the game management area. We see it in many ways.

He needs to let an OC run the offense during the game and stay out of it.
    Ummm .... huh???

That "top notch" preperation and motivation has produced anemic offenses season after season. This year, that "top notch" coach has this team leading the league (once again) in penalties. And can you tell me the NFL player who has the most fumbles? Yep, thats right, its Steve McNair.

I dont see how letting an OC call plays translates into even moderate success given camp cupcake and Billick.

We *have* had years with an effective offense
    When????