Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 74 of 74
  1. #61

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.



    Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    If it were that easy to coach a team, we all would be doing it.
    Please.

    You run the ball AT LEAST once there for all the reasons that have been stated.

    Do you have some reasoning as to why it made sense to pass on both plays?

    Look, I usually try not to play Monday morning quarterback, but when Im sitting there in real time saying "run the ball" Im gonna question the decision to pass.

    PP




  2. #62

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Billick has done this crap repeatedly this season - He just doesn't seem to get the importance of clock management

    He talks about clock management in the press conferences but his actions show otherwise on the field

    Throwing the ball unsuccessfully is like giving the other team an extra time-out - that is football 101

    He cost us this game & the buffalo game

    He almost cost us the Jets game, people forget because we won - Ray Lewis had to bail him out of that one with an int.

    Come on Steve - Brian needs to go




  3. #63

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    This is how I continue to see it.

    1) Billick has to give up the offensive playcalling duties.

    2) Billick has to go.

    Those are the only two options as I see it.




  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    443

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    This is how I continue to see it.

    1) Billick has to give up the offensive playcalling duties.

    2) Billick has to go.

    Those are the only two options as I see it.
    I'll go a step farther and say he has to give up playcalling AND allow the new OC to install a brand new system.

    I'd like to know what the players thought of those 2 pass plays. Especially after Billick's comments on doing the same thing in the Buffalo game.




  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,490

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    I'll go a step farther and say he has to give up playcalling AND allow the new OC to install a brand new system.

    I'd like to know what the players thought of those 2 pass plays. Especially after Billick's comments on doing the same thing in the Buffalo game.
    Billick's system has running plays. He could have still run the ball.

    All NFL teams have the same plays in the playbook, they run the same running plays, blocking schemes, pass routes, etc.

    Billick is just not a good in-game manager. He needs too much time to plot things out and plan. When things are happening fast he misses details and logic. When he has time he covers every little thing. He needs a person who may not be as detail oriented as he is but thinks better on his feet, in the heat of the action. I am like that, I am much better in stressful situations than most people, but I am not a great organizer and planner. It is a different skill set and he needs to learn that.




  6. #66

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Casey Willet commented this afternoon that, behind closed doors, players who have played for more than one coach speak very highly of Billick *as a HC.*

    It struck me as consistent with what many have suggested here, some like DF have suggested on the radio, that Billick will return but the offense will be stripped from him.

    Makes sense to me.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Panama City Beach FL
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    I think that Festivus is right on, BB stays but has the offense given totally to an OC who has autonomy to call plays and change strategy as the game dictates. BB is a good head coach, but the in-game strategy should be on someone else. Neuheisel? His Huskies were pretty good back in the day.

    Myself, I don't think they should fire BB, but if it happens, Rex Ryan should be the "next man up" to replace him.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello





  8. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,470

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Stripping Billick of his play calling duties could prove fatal.

    Billick's ego is wont alow him to do it himself. Therefor, it will take Ozzie, Bisciotti or both to strip him of the job of calling the offensive plays.

    The by-product of this will be Billicks command of the locker being compromised and his authority reduced to nothing.

    IMO, Billick assuming control of the offense was a zero sum game. He cant go back now unless it of his own choice .... or at least made to appear that way to the team and the media.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Carney
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Billick's system has running plays. He could have still run the ball.

    All NFL teams have the same plays in the playbook, they run the same running plays, blocking schemes, pass routes, etc.

    Billick is just not a good in-game manager. He needs too much time to plot things out and plan. When things are happening fast he misses details and logic. When he has time he covers every little thing. He needs a person who may not be as detail oriented as he is but thinks better on his feet, in the heat of the action. I am like that, I am much better in stressful situations than most people, but I am not a great organizer and planner. It is a different skill set and he needs to learn that.
    I absolutely agree Greg. I still believe he is a good Head Coach in the way he handles the team, protects his players and handles the media. I have said this for many years now but Billick is a genius when it comes to handling the media! He makes me laugh because he uses these terms and phrases that sound like he is an asshole but what he is actually doing is bringing attention to himself and off of his players. It's brilliant!

    That being said he does not handle the in-game stuff well, like Greg mentioned. He needs somebody to handle that stuff for him.

    I guess the reason I sympathize with Billick during his in-game stuff sometime is because I am just like the description Greg provided. I am horrible in stressful situations. I have to plan everything out and get annoyed when things are not. I was also the person in college who had their papers done days prior to them being due because I couldn't handle the pressure of writing a paper the night before.

    My final point is that if Billick is not going to give up control of the offense and game management, then I don't think he should be brought back. Even though I like him as a HC, something has to change.




  10. #70

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Casey Willet commented this afternoon that, behind closed doors, players who have played for more than one coach speak very highly of Billick *as a HC.*

    It struck me as consistent with what many have suggested here, some like DF have suggested on the radio, that Billick will return but the offense will be stripped from him.

    Makes sense to me.
    Of course the veterans on the Ravens speak highly of him. He let's them have it easy during training camp and takes it easy on them during the season. That works great when nobody is expecting the Ravens to be good. However, in years such as this one where there are a lot of expectations this approach kills the Ravens.

    Veterans end up getting hurt because Billick does not have them physically and mentally ready. You could see this on opening night in Cincy and it has carried on throughout the year. Billick's approach has worn thin. I for one would like to have a consistently good team instead of this one good year one bad year that has happened because of Billick's approach toward the veterans.

    Treat everyone the same; stop coddling the veterans!




  11. #71

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Casey Willet commented this afternoon that, behind closed doors, players who have played for more than one coach speak very highly of Billick *as a HC.*

    It struck me as consistent with what many have suggested here, some like DF have suggested on the radio, that Billick will return but the offense will be stripped from him.

    Makes sense to me.
    I actually agree with this if it were to really happen. This means no Billick system, no Billick input, the OC runs the show.

    Then Billick can do what he does best, and Festivus is right, about every single player talks about how great Billick is as a HC. For instance, Trevor Pryce asked Shannon Sharpe about the Baltimore offer and what it was like to play there and Sharpe said something similar to "If you get a chance to play for Brian Billick you need to go" That's a great thing.

    All that said, the offensive system and playcalling in general is dirt along with some very mediocre to bad offensive subordinates in my opinion.

    Time will tell




  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Carney
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by b-more_4_Life View Post
    Of course the veterans on the Ravens speak highly of him. He let's them have it easy during training camp and takes it easy on them during the season. That works great when nobody is expecting the Ravens to be good. However, in years such as this one where there are a lot of expectations this approach kills the Ravens.

    Veterans end up getting hurt because Billick does not have them physically and mentally ready. You could see this on opening night in Cincy and it has carried on throughout the year. Billick's approach has worn thin. I for one would like to have a consistently good team instead of this one good year one bad year that has happened because of Billick's approach toward the veterans.

    Treat everyone the same; stop coddling the veterans!
    If you look at the Ravens record in November and December since Billick has been the head coach you will see it is one of the best. In my opinion and others as well, this is due to the team being realtively fresh because they didn't beat each other up in training camp.

    If you look at the Ravens record in September under Billick, the record is not quite as good. This may be due to them not being in "football" shape.

    I don't know what the answer is when it comes to how hard they should be hitting in training camp. Most likely there is no right answer because what works for one p erson on the team might not work for another person on the team.

    But if anybody is intimating that this year is due to Billick not having the players beat each other up in training camp, I could not disagree more.




  13. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,490

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Of course the veterans on the Ravens speak highly of him. He let's them have it easy during training camp and takes it easy on them during the season.
    COMPLETELY WRONG!

    Shannon Sharpe worked his ass off 12 months a year, just like Ray Lewis and a few other players. They don't slack so they wouldn't appreciate a slacker or easy guy. They appreciate the fact that he works them smart, not hard. He still works them.

    Just because Billick doesn't beat players up doesn't mean he doesn't work them hard, there is a difference.

    Billick's weakness is in-game situations, he does not do well thinking on his feet. But he is an incredible preparer and planner, he plans camp and the regular season schedule down to the minute. Players don't stand around doing nothing or having their time wasted, that is another thing they appreciate.




  14. #74

    Re: Why don't we run it to win? Time for Billick to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    COMPLETELY WRONG!

    Shannon Sharpe worked his ass off 12 months a year, just like Ray Lewis and a few other players. They don't slack so they wouldn't appreciate a slacker or easy guy. They appreciate the fact that he works them smart, not hard. He still works them.
    I will differ with you there Greg. Remember the 1st year Deion Sanders played for the Ravens? Billick was giving veteran players days off and letting them set their own schedule of how much practicing they did. I remember that distinctly.

    Shannon Sharpe worked his own ass off. Billick didn't do that.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland