Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Coleman WAS out of bounds

Sorry HR, not really true. WJZ has nothing to do with football coverage beyond deciding who to send for their own news / sports coverage.

The network does hire regional production services to provide the physical telecast; the broadcast truck may come locally or as far away as Boston or some such depending on the local needs (baseball, college football, basketball, etc.) All of that is planned / hired by CBS Sports (national).

Many of the freelance employees work multiple gigs in the area. A sideline photog might shoot Terps Saturday, Ravens Sunday, and a couple Wizards or Capitals games. perhaps they will be hired to run a few hours of uplink camera at a training facility for NFL morning shows, or they may also work for CNN, Fox or the networks in their other time.

Freelancers are quite nomadic. Great money but it's feast or famine living.

The amount of money spent on coverage directly relates to the expected audience. For a Ravens / Browns game there is no national interest, sharply defined local interest and frankly not a large amount of money to be made on that game. Therefore the coverage is bare bones minimum contract coverage, the least required by the league under their contract with CBS. Steelers / Patriots? Yup, more money.

So the network contracts with regional providers who then hire the crew they need. CBS provides the talent, probably an executive producer and a couple line producers, and perhaps a few other important people but likely about 10% of the overall crew.

Local affiliate? Zero. Not part of the loop at all.

Source: me. I have and continue to work in local TV, currently in our Nation's Crapitol.

Guess we should expect a really crappy broadcast again this Sunday.:grbac:
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Coleman WAS out of bounds

Quote Originally Posted by 2gigch1 View Post
    Sorry HR, not really true. WJZ has nothing to do with football coverage beyond deciding who to send for their own news / sports coverage.

The network does hire regional production services to provide the physical telecast; the broadcast truck may come locally or as far away as Boston or some such depending on the local needs (baseball, college football, basketball, etc.) All of that is planned / hired by CBS Sports (national).

Many of the freelance employees work multiple gigs in the area. A sideline photog might shoot Terps Saturday, Ravens Sunday, and a couple Wizards or Capitals games. perhaps they will be hired to run a few hours of uplink camera at a training facility for NFL morning shows, or they may also work for CNN, Fox or the networks in their other time.

Freelancers are quite nomadic. Great money but it's feast or famine living.

The amount of money spent on coverage directly relates to the expected audience. For a Ravens / Browns game there is no national interest, sharply defined local interest and frankly not a large amount of money to be made on that game. Therefore the coverage is bare bones minimum contract coverage, the least required by the league under their contract with CBS. Steelers / Patriots? Yup, more money.

So the network contracts with regional providers who then hire the crew they need. CBS provides the talent, probably an executive producer and a couple line producers, and perhaps a few other important people but likely about 10% of the overall crew.

Local affiliate? Zero. Not part of the loop at all.

Source: me. I have and continue to work in local TV, currently in our Nation's Crapitol.
    I stand corrected. But I'm curious too that perhaps it's slightly different in other markets?

A friend here in Houston works for the local CBS affiliate and every Texans home game, he's in the truck right along several other of his co-workers from the station.

According to him, CBS provides the truck, sideline crews, etc but they staff the truck (outside of the EP and his staff) and provide sideline cameramen for the games.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I told my girlfriend, the angle of the TV camera sucked, but you could clearly see the white grass fly up in the replay from him stepping on it.
    That was what I saw as well. No idea how they determined that was inconclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    You could clearly tell the difference.
    I expect to get the low down the totem pole crew calling the game when we're playing the Browns and I'm alright with that. What I'm not alright with is how shitty looking the broadcast was in general, the shitty camera angles and everything else that paled in comparison to other broadcasts.
    The league itself should be upset with that as well IMO.
    Thanks for confirming what I was suspecting the entire game yesterday.
    There are several NFL stadiums with horrible camera placement and Cleveland is definitely one. I can't tell you if the problem is the distance of the camera or the zoom chosen, but it's an enormous pain for me to read uniform numbers and the Browns colors don't make it easier. Houston is also awful.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I stand corrected. But I'm curious too that perhaps it's slightly different in other markets?

A friend here in Houston works for the local CBS affiliate and every Texans home game, he's in the truck right along several other of his co-workers from the station.

According to him, CBS provides the truck, sideline crews, etc but they staff the truck (outside of the EP and his staff) and provide sideline cameramen for the games.
    Perhaps at your friends station they have a side business of providing for such events (not unheard of if there is enough business to be had, and in Texas there may very well be), or perhaps your friend and his buddies all freelance on the side (which money hungry tv people are known to do. I worked 2 jobs for years, including 83 days straight without a day off after 9/11, but that's another story).

In fact were I a betting man I would guess it's the latter - but I certainly can't say for sure and wouldn't dare put words in your mouth. Media jobs away from NY, LA and DC notoriously suck at pay.

I can say with certainty D.C., Baltimore, Philly, NY, etc. all use systems like I describe. Regional companies hire freelance on a day to day need to provide a show. For example MASN hires dayhires for baseball games. CSN hires freelance for the games but all the regular sports news shows, pre & post game are staff. Even the big shows like NBC or ESPN may fly in their group of regular professionals for the big game, but if you looked at their pay stubs they may work for a subcontractor, and they most likely aren't full time.

Media work is quite the pimp and whore business frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2gigch1 View Post
    Perhaps at your friends station they have a side business of providing for such events (not unheard of if there is enough business to be had, and in Texas there may very well be), or perhaps your friend and his buddies all freelance on the side (which money hungry tv people are known to do. I worked 2 jobs for years, including 83 days straight without a day off after 9/11, but that's another story).

In fact were I a betting man I would guess it's the latter - but I certainly can't say for sure and wouldn't dare put words in your mouth. Media jobs away from NY, LA and DC notoriously suck at pay.

I can say with certainty D.C., Baltimore, Philly, NY, etc. all use systems like I describe. Regional companies hire freelance on a day to day need to provide a show. For example MASN hires dayhires for baseball games. CSN hires freelance for the games but all the regular sports news shows, pre & post game are staff. Even the big shows like NBC or ESPN may fly in their group of regular professionals for the big game, but if you looked at their pay stubs they may work for a subcontractor, and they most likely aren't full time.

Media work is quite the pimp and whore business frankly.
    Learn something new every day. Good insight. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Strong case for those pylon cameras at every game.

Refs on the field got it wrong, guys in the booth didn't have the video evidence to conclusively overturn.

If they had the pylon cameras, it would have been an easy call to overturn.
    as much money as the NFL has youd think a few cameras to confirm major calls, ones they have to review regardless, would be worth the investment.

Im sure the Ravens sent that photo in to the league.

i have issue with the "play stands" in the replay they did have. you could clearly see white getting kicked up and behind his foot. Physics says the only way that happens is if his foot was on the line in the first place.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    as much money as the NFL has youd think a few cameras to confirm major calls, ones they have to review regardless, would be worth the investment.

Im sure the Ravens sent that photo in to the league.

i have issue with the "play stands" in the replay they did have. you could clearly see white getting kicked up and behind his foot. Physics says the only way that happens is if his foot was on the line in the first place.
    Well, theoretical physics can also explain that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a flower.

That's why the standard is 'conclusive' video evidence. I don't think a poof of white chalk qualifies.

As long as we're on the TV broadcast end of things here I have a question.
    Do broadcasts (the definition) vary from game to game?
    For instance....watching the Ravens game the picture and clarity was not very good. Seemed to not be in HD so to speak.
    I switch over to FOX for the Rams/Seahawks game and the picture is great.....crisp clarity, no motion judder, trails, etc.
    I just bought a new TV and am still trying to adjust to some of this stuff but I never touched any of the settings when I switched over to the FOX game.
    Similar stuff seems to happen when I switch to different games like when I went to NBC for the Sunday night game.
    This past Sunday nights game was kinda on par with the Ravens game in Cleveland but the Sunday night game the week before was more on par with the Fox game (Rams/Seahawks) this past Sunday that I described above.

Also noticed that while watching last nights game on ESPN it seemed to randomly switch from one definition to another periodically.
    Not sure if this is the TV itself (brand new), how I'm receiving the broadcast (over the air antenna and streaming in the ESPN case) or the broadcast in general varying from game to game.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Well, theoretical physics can also explain that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a flower.

That's why the standard is 'conclusive' video evidence. I don't think a poof of white chalk qualifies.
    You're confusing "theoretical physics" with "physics." The refs are allowed to use the laws of physics to review plays. E.g. if a 6' running back has his feet on the 50 yard-line, even if you can't see the ball, you can infer that he did not extend it to the 46 yard-line.

Plus there are still photos of the toe out of bounds. Why this information was not available to the refs on the field during the game is beyond me.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

thats rather definitive. what the hell is it there for other than a means to make those distinctions of what is and isnt out of bounds?
    -JAB