Page 1 of 26 123 ... LastLast

Offensive Playcalling

We had a few things that would fall under "Bad" in the "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", but the offensive playcalling to me was one of the real "Ugly" aspects. And for the second week in a row.

I'm not an offensive minded person, but, to me, you have to do what your team does well. This team is not going to run the ball to 3rd and 3 and then get a 5 yard 3rd down conversion.

To me, it looks like our strength is going to be running enough to draw the front 7 in and maybe bring the safeties in, going deep and working the middle of the field when they adjust to respect our speed.

I know the NFL isn't that simple. You don't just go out and run run run, hit the deep ball then the middle of the field is open, but my god what we've been doing is awful.

Last week when we went deep it worked, esepcially when we went deep with our slot receiver or sent the TE on a seam.

This week it worked again. Our best drive was when Joe had only 3 completitions but 57 yards. What does that tell you? I dont expect a hail mary every play (this isn't Madden), but our WR's are geared for the deep game. Senior would be a great slot option. This is how we should run our O. Stretch the field and spread the defence.

But we need to be able to run the ball to do that. You need to draw the safety into the box to cause some mismatches.

I dont know, maybe I'm being too simplistic, but this aspect was the most frustrating part of the last two games.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Re: Offensive Playcalling

Maybe the Ravens have a suggestion box , try it, never know, they may view it, LOL. Football is not as simple as fans want it to be, end of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Maybe the Ravens have a suggestion box , try it, never know, they may view it, LOL. Football is not as simple as fans want it to be, end of discussion.
    That's nice, LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

MOD's you can merge this with another thread. Thought it'd have more traction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Ray Lewis

That's the BEST word to describe it - OFFENSIVE

Yet they still won, 25 unanswered points. Not sure what fans expect with a QB who really didn't get the timing down in the short time he had with rehabbing players. To see Pitta making catches is awesome. Wallace is definitely catching on. The 2 INTs were preventable.

Blog Entries

For better or worse, flacco is more backyard baller than paint by numbers.

More favre than Peyton.

Whether it's because he isn't "smart" enough or whatever, trestman would be better off working to the strengths of our personnel.

Forsett isn't forte. Don't force him to be

Blog Entries

I said this all last week it's going to take time, i knew this offense would still have its issues in week 2 they're still working the kinks out. BUT Zuttah needs to be benched like 2 games ago, and forsett needs to see less carries.

Blog Entries

I don't like the fact that Flacco had to go to Trestman to get more downfield passes (although I DO like that Trestman listened and adjusted based on his QB's input). From the personnel this team has to the type of QB Joe is, they should be doing that by design every week. You have Wallace and Perriman, two of the fastest players in the league, and Chris Moore who had a 21 YPC average last year in college. I don't expect them to be the late 90s/early 00's Rams but the coordinator should not have to be asked to dial up some deep shots.

I don't want to knock Trestman too much since they do have a lot of new and/or returning faces working back in, but I think the play calling overall has been pretty bad through two games. Mike Preston used to say how Cam Cameron sometimes didn't have his finger on the pulse of the game when calling plays, I think that is true of Trestman yesterday. The dumb shotgun toss running plays, especially the one they ran on 4th and short that everyone watching knew had zero chance to succeed based on their ability to run to that point, were embarrassingly bad. Using Forsett in short yardage situations when you have a bigger guy who generally doesn't go down at first contact is also poor play calling IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I don't like the fact that Flacco had to go to Trestman to get more downfield passes (although I DO like that Trestman listened and adjusted based on his QB's input). From the personnel this team has to the type of QB Joe is, they should be doing that by design every week. You have Wallace and Perriman, two of the fastest players in the league, and Chris Moore who had a 21 YPC average last year in college. I don't expect them to be the late 90s/early 00's Rams but the coordinator should not have to be asked to dial up some deep shots.

I don't want to knock Trestman too much since they do have a lot of new and/or returning faces working back in, but I think the play calling overall has been pretty bad through two games. Mike Preston used to say how Cam Cameron sometimes didn't have his finger on the pulse of the game when calling plays, I think that is true of Trestman yesterday. The dumb shotgun toss running plays, especially the one they ran on 4th and short that everyone watching knew had zero chance to succeed based on their ability to run to that point, were embarrassingly bad.
    It's really their first year together all over again think about it, the guy was hired in his forst year last year to run another coaches playbook then the following year he gets the nod to install a new system. Its like starting over again, there will be growing pains. But yea he listened and they dialed up some shit.

Was KO that important? Cause we can't run block at all to the left side.

Blog Entries

If you insist on calling the "throw a 3 yard pass to the RB" play...make buck Allen active

Because forsett ain't the guy for that. And neither is west.

Throw the ball more than 10 yards deep MORE.

Why are we playing small ball when we have speed at WR?

Trestman is wearing out his welcome already with these shitty playcalls.

It's like things open up for one or two series and then he goes back in his shell and reverts to this stupid short passing shit which he overuses. I don't care if it supplements the run game. It isn't working. Throw it away, or adjust it drastically.