Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The best NFL player you've never heard of

New article from PFF. Always nice to see Ravens getting recognition:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...ever-heard-of/

Re: The best NFL player you've never heard of

That is awesome. Great to see him getting some national pub.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Dig it.

Like I said in the HoF thread last month, if analytics goes mainstream over the next 6-10 years (and I think it will, whether PFF leads the way or not) then Yanda is definitely going to Canton.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

PFF has Yanda ranked #3 for 2016, which means week 1. Filmstudy gives Yanda a D for same game and says it was one of the worst of his career. So who is right? We are looking at completely opposite interpretations of the exact same game. I'm going with Filmstudy. Yanda did not look good and it really makes me question PFF

Yanda's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    PFF has Yanda ranked #3 for 2016, which means week 1. Filmstudy gives Yanda a D for same game and says it was one of the worst of his career. So who is right? We are looking at completely opposite interpretations of the exact same game. I'm going with Filmstudy. Yanda did not look good and it really makes me question PFF
    The worst game of Yanda's career is probably better than most guys best.

Ken is a good choice. PFF gets weird sometimes.

Blog Entries

Oh come on GOTA...

...you've been questioning PFF for longer than this. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Weird headline for an article, because I feel like even casual fans know who Yanda is at this point by virtue of him being named in every conceivable post-season ranking/rating/best of list for several years running now.

Yeah, that's pretty weird, but at least give them credit for usually agreeing with Filmstudy.

I think part of the reason is that PFF doesn't seem to grade penalties that badly, but I'm fully aware that Filmstudy pointed out that wasn't the only issue with his play against the Bills.

Nonetheless, what isn't up for discussion is that he's had a heck of a career.

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty weird, but at least give them credit for usually agreeing with Filmstudy.

I think part of the reason is that PFF doesn't seem to grade penalties that badly, but I'm fully aware that Filmstudy pointed out that wasn't the only issue with his play against the Bills.

It also underscores the subjectivity in statistics in football. There was a good bit of penetration to the right of the center. It all depends on who you assign it to.

For example, as Filmstudy says:

His most significant other charge was a shared sack where he and Wagner were unable to pick up the twisting Hughes (Q4, 13:26). Wagner handed off Hughes a little deep, but then moved quickly to pick up Douzable outside. Yanda fought, but was unable to hold off Hughes from the starting disadvantage. This was a fairly tough charge, which could also have gone to Flacco based on the time it took to develop.
    There are values to both methodologies, and I tend to trust Ken more because he is I am sure more meticulous and has deep familiarity with the team and its schemes. PFF cranks out a lot of ratings on every play of every game and has them up pretty quickly. I haven't seen them at work, but I expect they don't do as much rewinding and frame-by-framing as Ken does.

On the other hand, with PFF you can compare their performance to other team's players, using the same methodology. So both have their merits.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post

I love Yanda just like every other Ravens fan. The guy is awesome. I just don't care for PFF.