Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Can Billick improve the offense: Why or Why not?

IMO I don't think BB can improve the offense and even get them to be average b/c it's his system. He's had a major hand in the offense since he got here and it has been crappy ever since. So why would he alll of a sudden be able to have some miraculous awakening with the offense now?

Tell me why you think he can or can't turn the offense around.

FM

Re: Can Billick improve the offense: Why or Why not?

I'm willing to wait and see. All signs point to no, but he does have much better personnel on O now than he did in 99 when he was calling plays. At this point, any sort of change is good. It's obvious Fassel wasn't getting the job done and some of the players didn't respect him.

I see this as win-win. If Billick does well and turns the offense around, we'll be in for an exciting playoff season. If he doesn't, he'll be fired at the end of the season and we can look forward to the end of Billick-ball and horrible offenses.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I think he can, if the stories of Fassel being disinterested and not putting in the hours are true then this can only help.

I am not one who gets too fired up about play calls, but I think STRATEGY is important and I don't think we have had a good one. This past Sunday, opening with 3 straight passes is a perfect example. We need to pound the ball and we haven't. Yes, I know, the running game hasn't been great, but there is occasionally a spark and we need to let our huge OL beat up on DLs for a while at the beginning of games.

I also don't think we have been schemed to go after the weaknesses of other teams. This might have to do with not enough hours in the film study of the opposition. If so, we might have a little better plan of attack on Sundays.

I, sadly, have the feeling that we will know the answer after one set of downs.

I hope that the change works. Billick is a smart guy & even though this has been his offense since he came, he didn't have the weapons we have now when he 1st got here. He had Water Buffalo/Case/Banks as his QB, Priest Holmes, before he was really good, as the RB. Ismail was here for his 1st year. Now we have Mason, Clayton & Williams, who I think will be good. Heap, Jamal, who may have something left, who knows. Maybe he can make it work w/ McNair. If Fassel wasn't doing the job like he was supposed to, this will be for the better. There is no one more motivated than someone who's playing for or coaching for their job.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

I think Billick has the proper motivation to put in the time to improve the offense. I'm not sure that we have any proof that he can make a difference other than how well the offense performed in the second half of 1999 (if he was still calling the plays then).

One small thing I am concerned about is Billick's animated sideline behavior. How will his usual hooting and hollering be taken by the players and coaches now that he is directly responsible for calling the plays. When a player misses a block and the RB or QB gets blown up in the backfield, how will Billick's tantrums be taken by that offending blocker? How will Mason's displeasure with the offense be taken by the head coach? I know that Billick was like this for years before, but he wasn't as directly involved with the players as much then as he will be now. On the opposite end of that, hopefully with Billicks comfortable relationship with the offensive players no longer cushioned by an OC it will force more action and adjustments because the head honcho is no longer having information filtered through other voices.

Another thing I am hopeful for is the return of the running game. Whether we all hated him or not, the rushing attack that the Ravens fielded when Cavanaugh was the OC was pretty effective. Maybe with Billick at the helm the Ravens can recapture some of that magic they once had. The line in 2001 was poor and riddled with injuries and on top of that the running backs behind that line were mediocre as a whole, but together they managed to string together some pretty good games running the ball to get into the playoffs. I am convinced that the playcalling must have had something to do with that... I just hope it wasn't all Cavanaugh.

Just knowing that Billick is as alarmed and worried about his job security to make some coaching changes during the season is enough for me to believe that Billick may be willing to make other changes he would have otherwise not made like deposing Mike Flynn from his starting role or being more creative/selective with offensive playcalling.
    Last edited by skimmy; 10-18-2006 at 12:14 PM.

One small thing I am concerned about is Billick's animated sideline behavior. How will his usual hooting and hollering be taken by the players and coaches now that he is directly responsible for calling the plays. When a player misses a block and the RB or QB gets blown up in the backfield, how will Billick's tantrums be taken by that offending blocker? How will Mason's displeasure with the offense be taken by the head coach?
    I have no idea why anyone should think this will be a problem -- head coaches, from high school on up, tend to get in the faces of players who play badly. Who cares if Jamal whines like a whimpering bitch if he doesn't like the number of carries he gets? He's not the coach! Same goes for Mason.

I think Billick taking over the play calling is probably a good move, but the players need to shut up. Go out there and play.

I don't know if someone else can do more with the talent that we have, but I doubt that stubborn, arrogant Bilick can change his spots in a hurry to reverse the slide.
    You mean the same stubborn and arrogant guy that (reportedly) listened to his players and his coaching staff and showed one of his long-time friends the door?
    First thing he should do is re-sign Alan Ricard!
    You mean the player that was injured and that none of the other 31 teams deams worthy of a roster spot?

I sure do hope they get better. And I have absolute faith that Billick will do everything he can to make them better. Afterall, his ass is on the line. But hoping to see Mike Flynn on the bench is just not realistic. We don't have anyone to replace that weathervane. Wish we had gone after Kevin Mawae in the offseason.

I think Billick can improve the offense, he certainly has desperation on his side and this is apparently what the players want so they'll be motivated. I think the Fassel firing streamlines the process on gameday and this will help us. There are some huge limitations though, the O-line is suspect at best and McNair has looked pretty bad for the most part. If the Cleveland d-backs knew how to catch, we'd be sitting at 3-3 and even more people would be peeing down their leg. We haven't shown that we can beat anybody downfield and until we do, we'll see 8-9 in the box and lots of blitzing. Also, I understand the frustration of Jamal, Mason and others but airing it in public is not the way to handle it and sets a very bad precedent for this team. These guys screw up too and Billick has never thrown them under the bus in public.

If you believe the offensive line is the problem and has been for years, then it won't matter who calls the plays.

An offense that can't run the ball can't move the ball.

12. Re: Can Billick improve the offense: Why or Why not?

No - unless Billick can get out on the field and protect the quarterback, get open on pass plays, run for 4.0+ yards on 1st down, and throw accurate passes. Scheme, playcalling, whatever - doesn't matter. Offensive woes can be mostly attributed to the lack of execution of the players on the field IMO.
    Last edited by bobw2829; 10-19-2006 at 12:11 PM.