Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Can Billick improve the offense: Why or Why not?

How about the receivers stop running 6 yard routes when its 3 and 8?
    This is often cited as a criticism of the Ravens offense. And I think it is mis-placed.

The defense on the field is also aware of the first down marker.

Most defensive backs outside of Donny Brady are willing (in fact coached) to defend against the routes past the 1st down marker and to allow the underneath (or check-down) routes.

Many 3-and-long pass completions that result in a first down start with the receiver catching the ball short of the sticks and "making a play". Don't believe me?....the next non-Ravens game make a note to focus in on where the receivers catch 3-and-long pass plays.

Angry Re: Can Billick improve the offense: Why or Why not?

What I have yet to see in Billick's offense since he got here was a game plan that exploited a weakness on the opposing defense...whether it be the line, LBS or secondary. Every D has a weakness somewhere. Carolina saw ours as Samari Rolle; they went after him all day and it won them the game.

The other big complaint I have is halftime adjustments...it never happens. Where is the plan B?

FM

I will wait and see also. There is to much talent on this team and the way you get results in any business is to shake things up.
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

This is what I have.

If you're expecting a new offensive philosophy, I think you're out of luck. This has always been Billick's offense. The difference now is that he's calling the plays. He also doesn't have Robert Smith, Randy Moss, Chris Carter, and Randall Cunningham anymore. That's arguably the best group of pure talent in those positions in the last 10-15 years. There was always a weakness with those guys. How can you cover both Moss and Carter? You can't, throw the bomb. Oh, you think we're going to throw? Pound Smith. The talent on that offense was just silly.

Halftime adjustments I'm not realy sure that's changing either.

Really what needs to happen is adjusting a system that fits what we do well. Problem is that right now we have pieces of lots of things and it's hard to get it together. Jamal can run well, but he really needs a fullback to be effective...but we have heap and 3 good WRs and a QB that plays best when he's just doing pitch and catch down the field.

He's got a really difficult job, for his sake, I wish him luck. I'm not optimistic.

What scares me is that Brian's stock answer is "I don't know what happened there, I have to look at the film". This pretty much rules out any in-game adjustments unless he has one of those broadband phones.

I've been watching Point After a lot this season and that seems to be a common thread with all head coaches... the I don't know what happened, I'll have to look at the film stock answer.
    I sure hope I'm wrong and Billick can pull his ass out of the fire but I don't see how he can do it alone and I don't think he has the teams backing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    First thing he should do is re-sign Alan Ricard!

:T2:
    :grbac:

Talk about stubborn...

Ricard is BUSTED...

but he would still be a better use of a roster spot than Moore

I will go out on a limb and say that the offense will be at least 25% better in the next six games than in the last six games by the stat that counts -- total points. We're at 18.3 points a game -- so that's an increase to 23 points / game. If we do that, with our defense we'll be over .500 for those games

There is a HUGE difference between delegating something and having ultimate accountability and going back and doing it yourself.

I think Billick is looking forward to the challenge and hearkening back to his days as an offensive coordinator. He trusts Rex enough not to worry about the defense (can't say the same about special teams). The players will rally around him and execute better. And the repercussions will be immediate -- Jamal sucking -- lets just switch to Musa.

Remember that a number of coaches do this today -- Reid, Shanahan and Parcell to name a few -- so it is doable.

I personally thnk that the Billick haters have lost perspective. Its like hearing my father in law in Philadelphia whine about how bad Donovan McNabb is.

I realize that all points count and don't get me wrong I'm grateful, but it keeps rumbling in my brain that 13 of our points Sunday could just as easily have dropped to the ground as incomplete passes or worse yet been interceptions. I think we have gotten lucky a lot this season but I don't think we can count on that every week. My concern is, is our offense even as good as the stats have it? As I say, I'll take a win any way we can get it but it just bothers me a bit.
    It also bothers me that if Billick can't turn this around fast are the bitching players going to erupt again? I honestly don't think it's entirely the offense being called I think we have problems with execution that aren't going to just disappear. I don't think some players are taking responsibility for their part in all this, it's just to easy to crab about others and lay the blame there. Now that they have run Fassel out how long before Billick is their next target?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The system isn't the issue, many teams employ the same system. The plays in Billick's playbook are in everybody else's.

It is a combination of the OL talent and the strategy employed in the game plan. We need to pound the ball to wear down the opposing DL, at least for a few series. This is how we can make our weak OL at least adequate.

Fassel's plan was to play to the strengths of the skill players and that is fine except it ignored our OL weakness. Our first course of action needs to be to run right at the best pass rusher on the other side and let our OL beat on him.

Maybe this won't help, but it can't hurt.

Rack that Greg,I couldnt have said it better myself.Everyone always wants to focus on the "skill players" and ignore the real root of the problem,the O line.'

If the line cant pass block or open up holes in the running game I dont care if we had LT,Moss or Johnny U back there it wouldnt matter one bit.

Absolutely true, the offensive line puts limitations on the degree of creativity.

Here's the other issue. So now do the players feel like they have "control" over Billick? Now if Jamal still doesn't feel like he's getting the carries is he going to be able to whine again until Billick gives in? Will the players be able to pretty much run the lockeroom now because they helped get Jim Fassel fired?