Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Can Billick improve the offense: Why or Why not?

It sounds to me like the players have been running the lockerroom since last season. They came close to getting Billick canned last season, they have gotten Fassel canned this season I'd say it's a safe bet that Billick is already back in the crosshairs.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I have no idea why anyone should think this will be a problem -- head coaches, from high school on up, tend to get in the faces of players who play badly. Who cares if Jamal whines like a whimpering bitch if he doesn't like the number of carries he gets? He's not the coach! Same goes for Mason.

I think Billick taking over the play calling is probably a good move, but the players need to shut up. Go out there and play.
    You're right I agree with you the players should just go out there and play, but Billick isn't in the Bill Parcells mold and the Ravens aren't an organization run like the Patriots under Belichek (the players appear to have more say and power). Billick has portrayed himself as a "player's coach" and the Ravens have went out of their way to be an organization open to the public and media and player friendly. Billick has always had a comfort zone or level of separation from the offense since he's been the head coach even when he did call the plays in 99. I am only saying I can forsee a situation where Billick throws his usual fit and 10 seconds later has to switch gears into OC mode and go over to the offense to discuss something and walla, we'll have ourselves a T.O. moment when one of our players blows up on him. I am not saying I don't think Billick should get into the players faces, but the overblown tirades he goes on might piss off a player and in the heat of the moment they might bite back. The funny thing is that I am a Billick supporter and his tirades usually make me laugh, cause I'm usually yelling and screaming at the TV at the same time. I don't want any of this to happen and I would not like to see the guy get fired.. I just think that maybe he will need to change or tone down his reactions on the sideline if he's going to deal with the players more.
    Last edited by skimmy; 10-19-2006 at 09:45 AM.

I think it will improve. It appears now that the animosity the players were showing was aimed at Fassel and not Billick. Billick saw the same problems the players did, and since Fassel was unwilling to listen, the change was made.

Some are saying the inmates are running the asylum now and that is a problem. If it was just Jamal, I would agree, but I don't think Mason and Ogden are malcontents. For them to be as vocal as they were there must have been some pretty glaring and obvious problems that needed to be addressed. Hopefully once they are, we will see a change, not to a 1998 Vikings, but to a 1999 Ravens.

People tend to forget that in 1999, once the Water Buffalo and Stoney Case fiasco was put to rest, the offense was pretty productive. This was the last year that Billick played a major role in play calling. I would also suggest our offensive fire power is much greater than it was in 1999.

Billick can shut up all the players whining next game if he does this.

Let Jamal take the vast majority of carries in the first half. Get Mason and Heap involved in the first series...it will open up the running game. If Jamal does well then he will shut up. If not Billick can turn to Musa and MA in the second half.

Make adjustments at half if that game plan doesn't work. The NO defense is not great...we can beat that team if the offense shows up. Because you can bet Cincy will come here in week 9 looking to crush us.

FM
    Last edited by Fanman; 10-19-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    (snip):
    I think Billick taking over the play calling is probably a good move, but the players need to shut up. Go out there and play.
    I said the same damn thing on another thread..

Quit yer friggin whinning and DO YOUR DAMN JOB!!!

and remember Jamal, Theres no "I" in TEAM.

oh god, how fuckin lame was THAT!!!

Another thing to keep in mind about Jamal: he knows he is out of a job after this year if he doesn't produce since the Ravens can pull the deal after one year. Jamal's motives for wanting more carries is more financially slanted vs Superbowl slanted if you ask me. He wants a big contract from some team next year...the better stats he puts up the greater chance of some team throwing him lot of cash next year.

FM
    Last edited by Fanman; 10-19-2006 at 11:51 AM.

I agree with you Fanman, money is definitely Jamal's primary motivation. Unfortunately, more and more you hear the talking heads questioning whether or not he still has "it". I think he will find it hard to land the big contract he is seeking.

I think if he has a good to above avg year there are several teams that would take a flyer on Jamal next year:

NY Giants (esp is Barber retires)
    NY Jets
    Green Bay
    Cleveland (they would ditch Droughns)

FM

I'm sure there are any number of teams that would try him out I just don't think it will be for the money he's envisioning.

Quote Originally Posted by bobw2829 View Post
    No - unless Billick can get out on the field and protect the quarterback, get open on pass plays, run for 4.0+ yards on 1st down, and throw accurate passes. Scheme, playcalling, whatever - doesn't matter. Offensive woes can be mostly attributed to the lack of execution of the players on the field IMO.
    I have this to offer. As Billick has said several times recently. "We all(nfl teams) have basically the same plays". But have you noticed that we NEVER ran on 3rd and 1, or 3rd and 2? Have you noticed we NEVER(until sunday) pass on first down? The system just may not be the problem. I know we have been VERY simple in our play calling, But it matters not what plays are used if the SAME play is used ALWAYS in the same situation! Ron Wolf, packers GM, said Brian Billick is the most fearless playcaller in the NFL! That Brian was not afraid to call any play at any time! He also said that play calling is Brian's REAL talent.... Let's see!:bag: :hammer: ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    I have this to offer. As Billick has said several times recently. "We all(nfl teams) have basically the same plays". But have you noticed that we NEVER ran on 3rd and 1, or 3rd and 2? Have you noticed we NEVER(until sunday) pass on first down? The system just may not be the problem. I know we have been VERY simple in our play calling, But it matters not what plays are used if the SAME play is used ALWAYS in the same situation! Ron Wolf, packers GM, said Brian Billick is the most fearless playcaller in the NFL! That Brian was not afraid to call any play at any time! He also said that play calling is Brian's REAL talent.... Let's see!:bag: :hammer: ;)
    I sure hope you're right!
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

I'll say no, and the reasons is (Pressure)

1. he only made this move to fire Fassel and do the offense on his own cause he realizes he's under (pressure) from either Biscuit, or from himself to perform.

2. (Pressure) the pressure he is going to be under now will either make him very conversative in his calls (which probably will cost us a game or 2) or he will do for broke in decisions in play calling (which could cost us a game or 2)

3. the offense as a whole will be (under pressure) this move has got be be an eye opener to them as well that if they don't perform now with him calling the plays, that he's a goner after this season.

so, in closing I sure as heck hope this offense performs, but for my above mentioned reasons (pressure) I don't think so.