Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Aaron's article on Ngata on 24x7

I certainly don't. Ngata is still not 100% (and he may never be this year)
    What are you basing this on? He was quoted as saying the knee didn't bother him at all. People are blowing this injury up to be more than it was.

Quote Originally Posted by losac
    What are you basing this on? He was quoted as saying the knee didn't bother him at all. People are blowing this injury up to be more than it was.
    I guess its more of a hunch than a fact, and I should of presented it as such. I was just combining the reports that Ngata looked not nearly as good in camp when returning from his injury with the fact that football players often don't disclose when they are injured (but not so injured they can't play).

I saw Ngata against the Redskins in person and he didn't look like the same player against the Eagles. Both teams have good lines but what was missing was Ngata's quickness. My conclusion is that he knee is still nagging him.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan86
    People make reference to AD sliding inside on situational plays. I dont see that happening as much this season. Trevor Pryce makes that less of a reality.
    You are right, that is what I meant, when Pryce slides inside, not AD. My point being that I don't expect Ngata to play many snaps.

Let me clarify. I think our oline is not very good, although I have been impressed so far with Mule and Vincent on the zone blocking. Maybe Chris Foerester isn't the village idiot I think he is. I also think Clarence Brooks brought a lot of insight to Ngata as a rookie. He doesn't have very good technique and will be somewhat of a project. (much better talent then Kemo, but still needs work on shedding blocks and not getting stood up and carrying his pads too high). Those are all correctable and teachable issues. Ngata got away with poor technique in college because of his sheer athleticism. The NFL level presents a new challege for him and he probably wont dominate like he did in college. That is ok for this season since all we really need from him is holding the LOS and taking on a double team at times. Taking on the double team may not happen since you have to earn the double team. Overall I think we will see flashes of what he can potentially do on every snap he is in throughout the season. I agree that the knee may be bothering him more then he is leading on and affecting his play. From what I recall from the scrimmage and camp, he was in the backfield disrupting plays regularly. After the injury, he has been quite.

I still think Ngata will be a force in this league. We just need to be patient and wait for Clarence Brooks to teach him the finer points of DT.

I am also a little concerned about Trevor Pryce. He has yet to make a play. Maybe he is holding back for the regular season.

The NFL game is a lot faster then the college level. Once Ngata adapts to the NFL level of the game he'll be fine. The Ravens made a smart choice drafting him. As the year goes on all of us will see that he will be just fine. Now we have someone big and young in the middle. Things will get better.

Ngata will put the :hammer: down this year.

I agree we can expect Ngata to be a factor...but what are realistic goals? Should we hope he is someday on the level of a Tony Siragusa or Sam Adams...or better?

FM