Page 1 of 32 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Kaepernick Protesting American Flag

Last night during the national anthem Colin Kaepernick sat down in protest. The 49ers even issued a statement about it. He then tweeted this, but has since removed it;

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tional-anthem/

It’s unclear why Kaepernick sat. However, Kaepernick retweeted the following message on Thursday, which accompanied images of the American and Confederate flags: “The fact that you really believe that there is difference in these flags means that your [sic] ignoring history.”

Can anyone remember another player doing this? I remember a basketball player turning his back during the national anthem for what he said were religious reasons about 25 years ago but I've never seen this in the NFL. Kind of strange from someone who had the opportunity to earn over $100 million playing here.

Blog Entries

Re: Kaepernick Protesting American Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Last night during the national anthem Colin Kaepernick sat down in protest. The 49ers even issued a statement about it. He then tweeted this, but has since removed it;

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tional-anthem/

It’s unclear why Kaepernick sat. However, Kaepernick retweeted the following message on Thursday, which accompanied images of the American and Confederate flags: “The fact that you really believe that there is difference in these flags means that your [sic] ignoring history.”

Can anyone remember another player doing this? I remember a basketball player turning his back during the national anthem for what he said were religious reasons about 25 years ago but I've never seen this in the NFL. Kind of strange from someone who had the opportunity to earn over $100 million playing here.
    All of the info I have seen on this seems kind of cryptic. Strange. And the basketball player you are referring to is Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, formerly known as Chris Jackson. He played his college ball alongside Shaquille O'neal at LSU. Hell of a shooter. Converted to Islam after entering the NBA. Mostly a role player.
    Last edited by Terpsfan82; 08-27-2016 at 09:25 AM. Reason: sp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    All of the info I have seen on this seems kind of cryptic. Strange. And the basketball player you are referring to is Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, formerly known as Chris Jackson. He played his college ball alongside Shaquille O'neal at LSU. Hell of a shooter. Converted to Islam after entering the NBA. Mostly a role player.
    That's the guy. I think he played for the Nuggets.

The most amusing part was the official statement from the 49ers. You could tell that they must be rolling their eyes trying someway to minimize the PR hit. I would think given the on the field issues that Kaep is having that he would be on his best behavior but maybe this is just an attempt to get released. He did ask for a trade which the 49ers refused to do.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

I would fight for someone's right to do this, even though it's silly for them to do it. But it's a bad look in general to not at least stand there and terrible for Kraeporpick.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Well, the classic example would be Tommie Smith and John Carlos's power salute at the '68 Mexico City games to bring attention to civil rights issues. They actually both playing in the NFL later. And statues erected in their honor despite the initial uproar.

But no, no specific NFL players that I can recall.

Blog Entries

I remember Artie Donovan was doing color on a preseason game, probably in the early 70s, when the Colts were playing the Redskins. Duane Thomas was not standing respectfully during the anthem, but had his helmet on and was walking around, goofing off on the sidelines. Artie, a Marine vet from WWII, actually lit him up, cussing him out on camera. His partner tried to get him to calm down, but he actually became more incensed and called Thomas an SOB on live television.

It was the last football game Artie ever worked in the booth.

Requiescat in pace, Art.

I'll defend to the death his right to self expression.

Just as I'll defend someone else's right to believe he's an attention seeking, uninformed douchebag for being so disrespectful.

He wouldn't be playing 1 second more for any team that I owned.

Someone should take him out to a Union Civil War cemetery and show him the graves of all the white guys who died for his ability to make millions of dollars playing football in the USA under the shadow of the flag that he spurns.

I just don't get what he was protesting?...:insane:

its not like he had a rough upbringing or saw some great injustice because of his race. He was adopted by cheese making Wisconsinites. It also probably furthered the divide between him and his teammates.

Everything you do in life has consequences, be they good or bad. He will find that in the end, this will have more negative ones than positive. Your choice, pal.

He does seem to be taking a page out of Ryan Lochte's book on how to piss off sponsors.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonraven View Post
    i'll defend to the death his right to self expression.

Just as i'll defend someone else's right to believe he's an attention seeking, uninformed douchebag for being so disrespectful.
    all of this!

Quote Originally Posted by Annapolis6686 View Post
    He wouldn't be playing 1 second more for any team that I owned.

Someone should take him out to a Union Civil War cemetery and show him the graves of all the white guys who died for his ability to make millions of dollars playing football in the USA under the shadow of the flag that he spurns.
    That's a crock. You can spin it that way if you want, but those "Union" soldiers ain't die for nobody black. Revisionist history to try and make it easier to digest the tremendous injustice against black folk.