Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Ford, Dodge, Chevy, or Other?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Longevity. Diesel engines can easily go 400-500K miles. It is true that unleaded engines can go a bit, especially those Toyota V8's and even the Chevy 350.

Outside of that? I dont know. I like the power behind a diesel engine. It may be overkill for my needs.

What I do know is that I have no interest in a full size with a V6 engine. Nothing against V6 engines, but I know a lot of guys that wished they sprung for the V8 after they got a full size with the 6. Just not enough power for a full size.
    For what you're talking about I'm of the opinion the diesel is over kill.

You really don't need that unless you're pulling some serious heavy stuff like backhoes on trailers, big heavy campers or boats.
    After I got rid of the little 4 cyl. Nissan I bought a Chevy S-10 6 cyl.

Did everything you're talking about with that and pulled my lighter weight aluminum bass rigs with equipment like it wasn't even back there with strictly the ball on the bumper.
    Would go to Home Depot and load it up with 6x6s and 12' lumber as well as get loose loads of mulch and stuff dumped in it.

A full size 8 cyl pickup will do perfectly fine for what you want and tow some heavy stuff like big campers and boats as long as you have the brake attachment stuff for the trailers.

Where I worked we had an F-250 truck for bigger jobs that I'd drive from time to time and I hated the thing. Like NCRaven just said......just not a comfortable riding truck at all!

I don't buy new vehicles for a few reasons....they depreciate severely in value as soon as you drive them off and quite frankly they're too expensive for my wallet.

I would definitely do some research on used models that aren't real old (like the toyotas you're already looking at) and save a bundle of money.

I've bought two used vehicles over the past 8 months and found carcomplaints.com pretty valuable in research.

It's not he end all beat all but it will definitely give you some knowledge on what kinds of problems people are having, trends in the same problems, etc.

Definitely get a carfax on whatever you choose as well.
    Once again it won't tell you everything but you'l at least have some history on the thing to see if the vehicle had any severe problems, was being taking care of by the previous owner, etc.

You can talk to houstonravenfan on here (not the one already on this thread although he has some knowledge as well) as he sold cars for a living I believe awhile back and also might be able to give you some valuable insight.

I'll reiterate from what I said earlier and others have said.....stay away from the dodge.

Use to have an Intrepid and what a piece of shit and nightmare that thing was!!
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    For what you're talking about I'm of the opinion the diesel is over kill.

You really don't need that unless you're pulling some serious heavy stuff like backhoes on trailers, big heavy campers or boats.
    After I got rid of the little 4 cyl. Nissan I bought a Chevy S-10 6 cyl.

Did everything you're talking about with that and pulled my lighter weight aluminum bass rigs with equipment like it wasn't even back there with strictly the ball on the bumper.
    Would go to Home Depot and load it up with 6x6s and 12' lumber as well as get loose loads of mulch and stuff dumped in it.

A full size 8 cyl pickup will do perfectly fine for what you want and tow some heavy stuff like big campers and boats as long as you have the brake attachment stuff for the trailers.

Where I worked we had an F-250 truck for bigger jobs that I'd drive from time to time and I hated the thing. Like NCRaven just said......just not a comfortable riding truck at all!

I don't buy new vehicles for a few reasons....they depreciate severely in value as soon as you drive them off and quite frankly they're too expensive for my wallet.

I would definitely do some research on used models that aren't real old (like the toyotas you're already looking at) and save a bundle of money.

I've bought two used vehicles over the past 8 months and found carcomplaints.com pretty valuable in research.

It's not he end all beat all but it will definitely give you some knowledge on what kinds of problems people are having, trends in the same problems, etc.

Definitely get a carfax on whatever you choose as well.
    Once again it won't tell you everything but you'l at least have some history on the thing to see if the vehicle had any severe problems, was being taking care of by the previous owner, etc.

You can talk to houstonravenfan on here (not the one already on this thread although he has some knowledge as well) as he sold cars for a living I believe awhile back and also might be able to give you some valuable insight.

I'll reiterate from what I said earlier and others have said.....stay away from the dodge.

Use to have an Intrepid and what a piece of shit and nightmare that thing was!!
    Lol, it's kind of a shame that Dodge has that reputation, huh? Such a nice looking truck.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

How do you like the Dodge?

I've heard bad things about them with transmission and electrical issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She's using it to drive to Arkansas three or four times a year so my step-dad and I aren't about to let her travel in something unsafe. Any newer model vehicle is going to start having problems because there's just so much that can go wrong. I have a '66 mustang that runs just fine. Basic straight six motor that only needs oil and gas.

As for the truck itself, it's a smooth riding vehicle. Plenty of leg room in the front and back. Comes with a personal hot spot, blu-tooth, etc...I've always been a Ford guy, but I wouldn't turn down a Dodge since I've driven that one.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Lol, it's kind of a shame that Dodge has that reputation, huh? Such a nice looking truck.
    Owned one dodge truck in my life and it was constantly in the shop. Never again

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

It's pretty easy to dress up a pig if you know what I'm saying here.
    You got a relatively heavy contingency here from most of the guys responding saying to stay away from Dodge.

Darb very well may have had decent luck and few problems but the majority of us are on the other end of the spectrum.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

my buddy that got the Titan went from a Dodge he had for 15 years and loved. Sometimes its a crapshoot and/or how you take care of it, but id say his story is the outlier from the normal dodge stories i hear.

FWIW i bought a beater dodge 4cyl that i get lumber, mulch etc with and it does just fine. its old but runs strong and likely cost less than what your monthly payment will be.

I cant attest to the newer dodges, i dont really know anybody that has one.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    my buddy that got the Titan went from a Dodge he had for 15 years and loved. Sometimes its a crapshoot and/or how you take care of it, but id say his story is the outlier from the normal dodge stories i hear.

FWIW i bought a beater dodge 4cyl that i get lumber, mulch etc with and it does just fine. its old but runs strong and likely cost less than what your monthly payment will be.

I cant attest to the newer dodges, i dont really know anybody that has one.
    Well, I initially wanted to just buy an older truck that I could putz around town with.

However, the misses isn't all that thrilled with the idea of having 3 cars...even though I flat out warned her our next house has to have enough property for me to build a decent garage on it so I can have...more than 2 cars. :D

I'd love to have something from the 1940's or early 1950's. Some day.

So, I figure a compromise, for now, would be to get a truck that can accommodate the entire family and still be a multi-purpose vehicle for our DIY projects.

Blog Entries

Well, I initially wanted to just buy an older truck that I could putz around town with.

However, the misses isn't all that thrilled with the idea of having 3 cars...even though I flat out warned her our next house has to have enough property for me to build a decent garage on it so I can have...more than 2 cars. :D

So, I figure a compromise, for now, would be to get a truck that can accommodate the entire family and still be a multi-purpose vehicle for our DIY projects.
    i have 5 garages and theyre all spoken for. thats the problem with garages, you fill them up.

I have 53' buick. Its a fun hobby, but an expensive one, so stay on her good graces for those days.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

So your wife's compromise is to spend 35k + on a new vehicle? I like this woman.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    So your wife's compromise is to spend 35k + on a new vehicle? I like this woman.
    I prefer mine....doesn't give a damn as long as it gets her from point A to B, has A/C and doesn't have to do yoga to get in and out of it....she's cool.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Is there such a thing as a perfect truck. Haven't heard about one yet. Beauty is in the eye of the buyer. How long it lasts is up to the owner and having a great amount of luck. New trucks eventually get damaged. Older trucks have a ding or 2 already. It's really about how much you want to spend. Some say you can buy happiness LOL. Gas mileage will never be good for the amount of gas you buy. 36 gallon tank to fill up is a lot cheaper now then years ago, LOL.

Blog Entries

Drove a 2015 GMC Sierra today. Low mileage and sticker price was around 32k. Not bad.

I forgot how comfortable GMC and Chevy trucks/SUV's were. I loved my 97 Tahoe...should have never gotten rid of it.