Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Decision to fire the OC Brian Billicks or from on high?

Billick made the call and it was the right one.

Desperation? Maybe.

But right nonetheless.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot Ravenator View Post
    How can you all sit there and tell me that it "DEFINITELY" came from Bisciotti? You DON'T really know, so stop insinuating. ..It's OK to suggest it, but know for sure.....I really don't think so ! It had to happen and it did! Bisciotti is not even close to the same mold as Snyder and I don't believe Steve would MAKE Billick do anything of that nature, he's not that type of guy...Now Billick being a players coach, the players may have helped with the dismissal of Fassel.
    You are correct TSpot, I don't actually know. It was in improperly stated opinion sorry it hit your hot spot. I disagree with your view that Bisciotti isn't a Snyder type, I'm not sure even Snyder has ever publically castrated his coach; however I could be wrong since you apparently know him (based on your comment that "he's not that type of guy") so I will defer to your inside view.

I was going to chime in with my .02 worth but saw the comments and see that Greg pretty much nailed it. It was Billick's call all the way, as was stated earlier, its in his contract that he hires and fires his assistants.
    It sure seemed like the players weren't happy with Fassel and if Billick is indeed on the hot seat, he had to make the change.
    We'll see what the change means on Sunday - Go Ravens!
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

... I'm not sure even Snyder has ever publically castrated his coach ...
    He once left 5 gallons of vanilla ice cream on an OC's desk (quite melted) to express his displeasure with what he thought was a non-imaginative (vanilla) offensive game plan.

I don't think Bisciotti meant to disparage Billick in public, he isn't used to public speaking and as a business man is used to being blunt with his people. Doing that at a press conference was wrong and he probably wished he had handled it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    He once left 5 gallons of vanilla ice cream on an OC's desk (quite melted) to express his displeasure with what he thought was a non-imaginative (vanilla) offensive game plan.
    I think that was actually his DC -- Mike Nolan. I seem to recall some reporter asking Nolan about it, and he basically refused to talk about it. But then again, as always, I could be wrong.

C'mon Greg, you're a businessman. Rule #1: You never discipline your employees in front of anyone.

Biscuit not only demeaned billick in front of his underlings, but in front of a national audience. It was an arrogant and stupid move.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Biscuit not only demeaned billick in front of his underlings, but in front of a national audience. It was an arrogant and stupid move.
    I agree. I want to like Biscuit but this was an astonishing dumb move, IMO. He may not have understood what he was doing, but he undermined his own head coach. Publically! He seems to be a good guy and a very smart guy but this was dumb, dumb, dumb.

Oh yeah, I remember reading about the vanilla ice cream incident. But even though it was meant as a slam and to express his displeasure it was done with a sense of humor and not in public which separates it in my eyes from what Bisciotti did to Billick. I do agree Bisciotti is a plenty smart guy and I doubt he ever makes that mistake again. That is one reason why I think it was his idea to fire Fassel, I think his messages will be delivered behind closed doors from now on. It is just so totally out of character for Billick to throw anyone under the bus like that which is why I find it so hard to believe it was really his idea - but that is just an opinion and I have [U]nothing[U] whatsoever to base it on As far as responding to players bitching, it he starts that he is going to go nuts because the players have their own agendas and he can't please them all.

It was totally Brians decision and has already been confirmed by numerous sources. The only person besides Jim that Brian talked to was Ozzie. Steve was informed of the decision after Fassel was already let go of. I swear what is it with Ravens fans and conspiracy theories?:grbac:

10. Re: Decision to fire the OC Brian Billicks or from on high?

Quote Originally Posted by sandiegosean View Post
    It was totally Brians decision and has already been confirmed by numerous sources. The only person besides Jim that Brian talked to was Ozzie. Steve was informed of the decision after Fassel was already let go of. I swear what is it with Ravens fans and conspiracy theories?:grbac:
    I am SO with you Dude!! Conspiracy theories:insane:

Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN View Post
    That is one reason why I think it was his idea to fire Fassel, I think his messages will be delivered behind closed doors from now on. It is just so totally out of character for Billick to throw anyone under the bus like that which is why I find it so hard to believe it was really his idea - but that is just an opinion and I have [U]nothing[U] whatsoever to base it on As far as responding to players bitching, it he starts that he is going to go nuts because the players have their own agendas and he can't please them all.
    The difference between the past and now is that Billick is squarely on the hot seat. He's free run of "can do no wrong" is over and he knows it. That is why I believe that this was his move and his move only.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by sandiegosean View Post
    Exactly. If there was anything to this conspiracy you would AT LEAST be hearing some leaks from "unconfirmed sources" within the organization. Not only has this not happened but every journalist who covers the team has said Steve was not involved in the decision.