Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Clayton

Mark Clayton

Amid all of the (deservedly) negative criticism concerning the Ravens' performance on Sunday, I think it's high time for us to consider one of the only positives- that is, the play of Mark Clayton.

I've been saying it since he was drafted- he is going to be an amazing wide receiver in this league for a long time. He showed flashes last year- the way he burned the Broncos, the way he ate up the Vikings' secondary, the way he showed his versatility in the game against the Packers. But, early on this year, the coaches weren't dialing his number, and McNair was, predictably, short-arming throws to him, and his lack of arm strength failed to take advantage of Clayton's potential for big plays down the field.

However, he's been catching fire as of late. In the Cleveland game, he hauled in eight receptions- many of which, as you remember, were very, very clutch third down grabs. He had that nice, mostly YAC 30 yard grab a few weeks back. He's always there on third down, he fights for the ball, and he's fearless over the middle.

Yet, he hasn't been fed the ball as much as he should be. I blame the coaching staff, and I blame Steve McNair- McNair is a little too in love with the dump-off to take advantage of a wide receiver's skills.

But, maybe all of that will change after what he did yesterday. I know- neither of his two TDs were intended for him. But, nevertheless, he showed absolutely exceptional awareness for such a young player, and on the second TD, showed off his speed a little. He caught that ball over the middle of the field, and sped to the outside and bam, sixty yards later, you've got six points.

The Ravens need to wake up and realize that Clayton's got a hell of a lot to offer. Call me crazy, but I honestly think he's got more to offer than Mason, or at least, will surpass him by the season's end.

Any thoughts?

Re: Mark Clayton

I think he and Boller connect a whole lot better, but Mason is def. Mcnairs guy.

Bottomlin is that Clayton is a playmaker.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I'm glad someone brought this up.

While he is not Reggie Bush - he could be used in the same capacity. Find various ways to get him the ball. We are not using his talents to the fullest.

This last game he seemed to have a horseshoe wedged in shoulder pads - but hell, I'll take any offensive spark.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBay View Post
    This last game he seemed to have a horseshoe wedged in shoulder pads - but hell, I'll take any offensive spark.
    I'll take the horseshoe any day!! It is nice when a tipped ball goes in favor or us. When a tipped ball turns into an INT, that stat still counts against the QB at the end of the game even though it is not an INT thrown directly into the defenders hands. Hey...two "tipped" TD's for Clayton and Kyle!! Bravo!!

Get Clayton the ball (anyway you can) and let him go............

while i am happy with the positives he has shown, he needs to grow more.

this sunday, i watched him closely when Boller was buying time with his feet. instead of getting open or getting into Boller's line of site, he ran with his db. for example, Boller was rolling to his left, still behind the line and looking down field. the entire defense started going left as well. Clayton ran with his db, the db was in front of him and had no clue where Clayton was. Clayton could have easily broke his route and run up the field in Boller's view, instead, he kept himself covered.

he does this a lot. in fact, all of our wrs do it a lot. run their route and if it is not there, they stand still. do not work to get open at all. DWilliams was the only guy i noticed really making the extra effort and that is why Boller throws at him. he is the one that moved.

all in all, i have been happy with his playmaking ability. the 89 of TT does rear it's head too much. he drops balls at critical times. he has caught some this year though and so he will get a pass for now.

the wrs and their routes are coached bad at this time. i saw Heap and Mason running into each other during routes. too many times we have 2 wrs in a spot where 1 db can cover them. the entire scheme is horrible. and while Fassel just got scapegoated, if Billick does not change his ways, this offense is going nowhere.

As soon as McNair was knocked out & Boller was coming in, I looked at my brother & said the happiest guy in the stadium is Mark Clayton. The 2 have been close since Clayton arrived in Baltimore & lived w/ Boller. Boller got Clayton involved last year where McNair, I guess in his uneasiness with the offense, has latched onto Mason as a security blanket.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

8. Re: Mark Clayton

I agree with Italianjoker. While he possess good natural skills, I'd like to see him work harder to help his QB. Sometimes I think he is too willing to stay covered. The only guy I really see work back to his QB is Mason. This is Something a possession receiver like Clayton needs to learn if he has any intention of being a #1 Wideout.

That being said, I don't think we utilize his skills well at all. Here's a guy who runs very well after the catch.. They don't even isolate him in the slot to get a mismatch. I hear about teams designing plays to get their playmakers the ball in favorable conditions, why don't we? We can never dictate these situations, yet other teams do it to us?

Which is all the more of a reason why Boller needs to be the QB. McNair can't consistant stretch the defense, so defenders play up tight , which means they can cover the pass and still defend the running game. So a little guy like Clayton can't work as well in close quarters; he needs space to be effective.

Clayton will never be Steve Smith or Santana Moss because he's not that explosive, but I see no reason why he can't be Deion Branch or Darrell Jackson.

Jeez Chix.

The guy is only in his Sophmore year and you've already decided he isnt explosive enough to be a Steve Smith?

Smith wasnt the same guy he is today 4 years ago. He really came out after Muhammed left for Chicago.

Santana Moss is the same thing. Not the player he was early in his career in NY. He gets to a new system and boom! Explosion.

Dont write Mark of just yet. As a number one WR or in a new offensive scheme (next year) we could see some huge explosion.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

You know, this thread touches on something I've been wondering about for a while now. Why is it that our recievers can't seem to get open and and help out whoever is behind the center?

It has to be coaching. I can't tell you how delighted I was when we got rid of what's his face last year (receivers coach . . . what was his name?) because of this. Now I'm seeing the same thing again.

What gives? :insane:
    Screw 'em all

Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters

LR127,

The only constant in coaching has been Billick. We are seeing this more and more. Unfortunatley I think its time for a change.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

he drops balls at critical times.
    :insane: :insane: :insane: How many balls has he caught on 3rd downs, or game winning drives this year??