Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: THANK GOD things have gotten shaken up!

It would appear, Trap, that you are correct.

I don't bother reading Preston anymore but more than one person has brought up the fact that Tub 'o Goo said the coaches were arguing amongst themselves.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Fassel said he was running billicks offense not his. Cavanaugh was doing the same , but with zeus and ricard to run block. without them the running ganme has suffered.

brown does not know enoug to make the calls the center has to make. So I think we are stuck with flynn. replacing vincent would be good i think. i dont see how chester could be much worse.

Also, keep in mind that even some of the other coaches assistants were questioning Fassel's work ethic.

It looks like it wasn't just the players who were discontent with him either.

I think that starting Chester this year would be a big mistake unless we absolutley had to.

This guy was only an OL for 1 year at OU. You think that putting him in an NFL line is going to improve that line? He needs a year or 2 of offseason conditioning to bulk up.

While I think Chester will be good, but he's not physically ready yet.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

As far a Fassel not being able to install his own offense:
    Don't forget that in '04 he was here a Boller's personal dinner buddy. At the end of the season, Boller was showing a lot of improvement. When Fassel was named OC for '05, you couldn't expect the braintrust (BB & Associates) to allow him to tear it all down and start from scratch. What would that have done to Boller and the core of Mason, Clayton, Heap, and JLew that were still adapting to the new "west coast" style. We brought in McNair for this year and has him learn the Billick system, rather than having everyone start over with the Fassel system. Other than the change in language (or verbage as BB likes to say) probably 80% of the plays are the same anyway. And that is true throughout the whole league. Its all Bill Walsh's numbered route combinations. Just with differnent names.

And I agree with Bass. We don't know anything about Chester- other than he's a former TE and Oz etc. have faith in him to be good someday. No way could we throw him out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Fisrt the scapegoat is Cavanaugh, now Fassel? Bullshit.

:T2:
    First off Billick never made Cavs the scapegoat, that was a Biscuit decision.

How can anyone accurately predict how Chester would do until he is thrown out there for a few series? Any of these theories ring a bell?

"Chester Taylor will never be a full time back in this league"

"Pashos sucks, cut him"

"Rabach is no better than Flynn"

"Adalius Thomas, strictly a second stringer"
    Last edited by Art-Florida; 10-18-2006 at 09:49 PM.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Well Art the thing is,

Those players had the size and knowledge to play their positions. Yet we still overlooked them. Taylor, Pashos, Rabach, and AD all played their NFL positions in college. And none of them were the great players (minus Pashos) they are now in their rookie years.

My exception being Pashos. Since when was he a great player? Besides he is on IR. Not our fault.

After QB, Center is the most important offesive position. You cant put an undersized rookie in there who only played Center as a Senior (may be wrong) into an NFL game and expect him to make the linecalls and pick up blitzes. Not to mention block huge DTs the likes of which he had never seen in college.

If things get desperate, go for it. But for now you keep Chester on the bench.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by bassgtrst View Post
    Well Art the thing is,

Those players had the size and knowledge to play their positions. Yet we still overlooked them. Taylor, Pashos, Rabach, and AD all played their NFL positions in college. And none of them were the great players (minus Pashos) they are now in their rookie years.

My exception being Pashos. Since when was he a great player? Besides he is on IR. Not our fault.

After QB, Center is the most important offesive position. You cant put an undersized rookie in there who only played Center as a Senior (may be wrong) into an NFL game and expect him to make the linecalls and pick up blitzes. Not to mention block huge DTs the likes of which he had never seen in college.

If things get desperate, go for it. But for now you keep Chester on the bench.
    Lots of things to quible about there, but in the interest of brevity, I'll just repeat what I said.

How will you K N O W unless you try it for a series now and then? Worst case scenario: The center gets eaten up. Not that ever happens with Mike Flynn?
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Now and then, fine. Once the season is lost.

IMO first place teams dont rotate in project OL in regular season games.

If Chester were to come in for 1 play and on that play a DT got through and ended McNairs season it wouldnt be good. There would always be the question of why did we have to put him in.
    -Mark Clayton

If Chester were to come in for 1 play and on that play a DT got through and ended McNairs season it wouldnt be good. There would always be the question of why did we have to put him in.
    You make Chester seem like a complete bum -- wasn't he a second round draft pick? Why would anyone question his presence in a game? It's not as though no other team in the league plays highly drafted rookies.

I'm not suggesting we start him, but to go to the opposite end of the spectrum and suggest that he never even get on the field is a little extreme. Why not give him some playing time? If the FO didn't think he could play, they would not have drafted him when they did.

And incidentally, if McNair got clobbered while Chester was in the game, it wouldn't be any different than McNair getting clobbered with our veteran OL in the game.