Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: THANK GOD things have gotten shaken up!

Just take a look around the league at teams that have or are starting offensive lineman taken during and after the 2nd round.

It's almost commonplace.

Except for the Ravens.

And it's annoying as hell.

PP

Edit: Damnit PP, you beat me to it again! :)

wasn't he a second round draft pick?
    This is what gets me. It seems like only in this system second round picks and above don't see the light of day unless special circumstances warrant. All across the league on other teams 2nd and 3rd round picks get on the field and contribute. D'Qwell Jackson, DeMeco Ryans, Chad Jackson, Marcus McNeil, Anthony Fasano, and more; all playing.

What about our recent 2nd rounders?? Dan Cody? Adam Terry? Chris Chester? Dwan Edwards? Dwan is the only one that really saw the most playing time. Other than that where has Cody been? Adam Terry can't even get rotated in unless JO gets hurt. Hell, 4th round pick Jason Brown gets more playing time than Chris Chester.

All Devard Darling did in preseason was go in and catch the ball and make plays. Yet Clarance Moore gets into the game to make a play the entire world saw coming, and DVD really hasn't even been activated that much.

So maybe now that Billick is taking over, maybe we'll see some of these guys actually play and contribute?

You guys are exactly right. Why is it that every 2nd rounder we've taken over the past few years has either been a project or a guy that has seen no playing time?

Why draft projects in the 2nd round? Terry, Edwards, and Chester were all taken too high. Not to say I've given up on Terry or Chester, but if you're going to take a guy in the 2nd round he better be GOOD enough to start IMO.

There are plenty of starting offensive lineman in the NFL that are rookies. Some of them (Boothe from Oakland) were even drafted on the second day. I like building for the future, but it seems that the future for the Ravens is going to be a little too late.

Ray, Ogden, Jamal, MA, McNair, CMac, Rolle, AD, and a few others aren't getting any younger. Not taking immediate contributors in the 2nd and 3rd rounds is beginning to show. Flynn and Vincent don't belong on the field and NEITHER did Mulitalo. IF we're going to be taking OL's in the 2nd, they better damn well be able to get on the field and play. Some of the great players on this team won't be playing here in 2-3 years when people like Chester and Terry MIGHT be able to contribute.

Those other teams start guys that have been OL all throughout their college years.

You just dont start a guy that only played Center for 1 year at college on an NFL OL.

Thats my point. I have nothing against starting rookie OL, if he had played OL at OU for 4 years I would have no exception.

JMHO
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Then why do you draft a guy with those credentials as high as we did? That seems to me to throw him into the "project" catagory with all the other "projects" taking up non productive space on the roster. I understand Ozzie drafts by BPA but I seriously question the system they utilize in determining BPA. Unfortunately, the same can be said all over the roster, a bunch of projects that won't see the field for years. Where has Cody been all season, he was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread when we drafted him. The more things change the more they stay the same!

The more things change the more they stay the same!
    Thats why I would like to see a BIG shake up and have Billick and Oz kicked to the curb.

If you have a job to do and year after year after year you fail to get the job done. Not only do you not get the job done but you don't even buy the right tools to do it. You spend money on tools that may work but you keep them locked in a toolbox. And when people complain you act like they don't know crap and your doing what needs to be done to finish and the job 99% done.

COME ON. Could you get away with that at your job?
    enough is enough

Then why do you draft a guy with those credentials as high as we did?
    ding ding ding!

We have a winner! Thats the question that needs to be asked.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton